Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: NOT GOOD, Worst deaths in 19 years

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    couple that with ageing riders who don't respond as quickly.........
    They (heavy cruisers vs others) certainly are two different beasts, I do think our reactions can become slower as we age, but I still have pretty good hand speed even if the rest of me can no longer keep up, lol. Riding my 310kg HD cruiser is way different to riding my 190kg W650, although I do ride it mostly like its a Cruiser, just depends on the mood.

The lighter bike is probably quicker than the big cruiser in all facets, well apart from possibly a short sprint. Funnily enough I feel I am more at risk on the lighter bike as I tend to be a little more at ease throwing it around a bit more, when compared to being on the big Lunker where I automatically seem to enter a "no hurry" cruise mode more and tend to be even more cautious on the bendy bits, it the cruiser does only have a max of about 25-30 degrees lean anyways.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    but I still have pretty good hand speed
    Thanks for sharing.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Thanks for sharing.
    Lol, yep left myself wide open, I should have known better aye, oh shite, did it again.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    the cruiser does only have a max of about 25-30 degrees lean anyways.
    give it more coal! who needs lean angle??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEX_TXY5gS8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq1lIC96qcQ

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    He must go through a lot of tires, boots, and jeans.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    He must go through a lot of tires, boots, and jeans.
    i don't understand the question

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Losing the bike on gravel beats having a head on would you not agree.
    why THE FUCK would you 'lose the bike" (presumably by overbraking the front, cos you're too thick to lowside it) at sub-hundy? (and what do you think that queue of cars you're now impeding is going to do??)

i will personally pay for you to attend an observation session. your time and the instructors, on the proviso that the results are mine and will be made public here, if only to shut you the fuck up.

Bike
    Mine
    So you label someone who can not avoid an accident casued by someone else "careless"
    Definitely not. What makes someone careless is not taking responsibility for your own skin. There's only one person out there looking after you and that's you. Yes, another party may be at fault, but to turn around afterwards and say "nope, nothing I could've done" is what makes you careless. If you said this you need some training, even if that "training" is just talking to others that have been in a similar situation and come off better than you did.

Every mishap I've had on the road I've asked myself afterwards - "What could I have done to avoid it?". I've yet to be in a situation where I can truthfully say that there was nothing I could've done.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post

That's impressive, shite I have trouble just getting it off the sidestand, lol

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Who said group rides are not fun:

Bike
    Mine
    When I say I slow down its not to a crawl but just enough so that if I have to stop suddenly I dont end up dropping my bike.
    Are you saying that if you have to do an emergency stop from 100kph you'll drop the bike???

As I have said before shit can happen before you have time to brake or swerve and all those that dont believe that only do so because shit has never happened so quick in situations they have been in.
    Have you considered that we don't get into situations where "shit can happen before you have time to brake or swerve" because we've seen the situation develop before that point and already reacted accordingly?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    Good post caseye
    Look, I try to stay out of these threads, as my own riding skill/level is average IMO.
    But I did ride my bro i laws crusier today, after doing a bit of work on it for him.

My first reaction/comment to myself was that cruisers don,t respond as quickly to your input/thought approach as I would like.

Which got me thinking, (a rarity I know), What % of accidents involving road registered bikes are actually cruisers.
    I'm not slagging the bikes, or those who choose to ride them, just interested.
    I have, on a number of occasions asked the same question, (albeit in a different way), I think it would be helpful to know what genre/class of bike is involved, but was treated with reactions ranging from ignore to scorn.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    I have, on a number of occasions asked the same question, (albeit in a different way), I think it would be helpful to know what genre/class of bike is involved, but was treated with reactions ranging from ignore to scorn.
    It is a valid question, you just have to ask the right person and hope they think the same. There is also some work involved because the crash data has some big holes in it. Like it might just list Honda as the bike, or it might be Honda CBR, or Honda CBR900, or Honda 900, or Honda Fireblade etc etc. Someone would need to manually enter the registration numbers to get the true details. And obviously if it is a Honda CR for example there will be no number plate.

And then would it help? All bikes can go too fast in to a left hand corner, cross the centre line and the rider get killed by an oncoming vehicle. The only thing I see is that it can happen at lower speeds on lardy old cruisers perhaps being ridden by lardy old riders.

It might actually be an interesting exercise to look at motorbike loss of control on curve crashes to see if there is commonality between make and model types. I suspect you would get the same result as I posted earlier with Harleys at the top. Is this due to them being agricultural vehicles that can't turn corners, the riders being sunny weather unfit old bastards with white goatees who cannot ride or a reflection of the popularity of the worlds most famous two wheeled marque? The data won't answer that, just continue to stir it up. And unlikely to answer the age old question regarding the Suzuki Boulevard. Why?

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    My 2c...

Finally riding again after the layup and I've been noticing a lot of bikers riding with limited safety gear. No gloves. That's happening a lot. Vest but no jacket... that's happening a bit. And I've already seen my first Harley rider this season with shades and bandanna but no helmet.

Yeah, they do that sometimes. Unfortunately the cop might have had a point about macho culture ( - in SOME biker groups).

Bike
    Kawasaki H2A 1973
    I don't think you will ever get exact details about the type of bike, cruisers sports or whatever so we can only surmise. As for road position and where to start or enter the turn from, there was discussion re entering wide or narrow is better, riding in tyre tracks etc.

Most people crash on the exit of the turn, or at least get into difficulty with the exit, so it makes sense to allow more options on the exit. You only get those options when you enter wide (or late as some say).

As far as training and continual training, even Rossi has a track coach. I think we can all learn every day on a bike. Take courses, see for yourself. If, after taking a training course you don't feel it has helped, then that is sad. The very least it will get you to do, if you listen at all, is to consider the thoughts of others. They may not always be 100% correct, but then you filter what info is best for you. Don't be arrogant about your ability, we all need to improve. I enjoy riding.

Having said that, some advice can be dangerous. People who are not qualified should remain silent. Bad advice can kill

Thread Information