Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: NOT GOOD, Worst deaths in 19 years

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

High Fatality rate

I had a discussion on this with some friends, one thing that came up was that if motorcyclists are involved in accidents they are more likely to die.

So what improves our chances?

Not being involved in accidents.

On a Fool’s Errand: Teaching Riding Judgement
    Judgement comes with experience, but can new riders observe and imagine their way to good judgement?

http://www.cycleworld.com/teaching-g...natsch-tuesday

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    That would assume i was tailgating the truck. Also trucks do not stop as sudden as cars which would give me more time to brake.
    trucks stop faster.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    So I guess you would prefer then to take your chances and risk a head on, on a bend over risking rear ending a truck.
    Only a foooool breakes the 2 second ruullle.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

2 second rule

What 2 second rule? The closer I drive to the car in front, the faster I get to my destination!

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    That would assume i was tailgating the truck. Also trucks do not stop as sudden as cars which would give me more time to brake.
    BET YOU WERE! YES THEY DO! YOU HAVEN'T DONE THAT AT LEAST 7 TIMES SO FAR?????

Again, you outline a scenario where there are only 2 options, rear end a truck or have a head on, try being far enough back that you don't rear end anyone and explore the posibility of making sure your road is clear before overtaking anything/one and most definitey not on a blind brow.

Already saved your next accident ten times over.

MSTRS, say Hi to Tarty for us aye, probably right on both counts mate, but the ones I do get to see/eyeball are all considerably younger than my 50 plus years. I do obviously know a number of folk my age and much older, who seem to have death wishes and do travel at way too fast warp nine, who lose a mate every so often and think thats normal. I'd rather get to where I was going than maybe.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I've been riding for 30+ years, knocked off my Z1000 by an old lady coming out of a side street who did not see me.
    Hit some diesel turning and fell off in Otahuhu on the Z1000
    Managed to not fall off in Australia for 2 years, knocked off in London twice lanesplitting, BMW r100 RS.
    fallen off twice here in the last 8 years, once off an FXR150 at Mt Welly and once off the BMW at Taupo.
    Did 4000 kms in Vietnam and India and did not fall off.

Conclusion- Honda 150 Firehawks and Royal Enfield Bullets ridden two up are safer than large bikes.

Riding to the BM recently on my 42 year old BMW observed than modern bikes go very fast and need constant coffee stops.
    When motorcyclists say " the South Island is great on a motorcycle" they do not mean that that the scenery is nice.

In Vietnam their Motorcycle awareness posters consist of decapitated riders, lots of blood and body parts. Here its a slow mo video clip of smarmy Sales Rep going too fast running into side of nice bloke with a kid and you have to make up the rest.
    Given the publics love for crap like GOT, put more gore on the ACC adds
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    So I guess you would prefer then to take your chances and risk a head on, on a bend over risking rear ending a truck.
    I would ..
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I would ..
    There are other options, Cassina only offered the two most dangerous. There would be no need to do a dangerous overtake, you could do a safe one as oportunity presented, or change lanes, or you could drop back a bit until it was safe to go. None of these options appear to have crossed her tiny mind.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    I would have thought.
    now now. don't go exagerating.

But I have read safety advice in the media about trucks that they can not brake as quickly as cars.
    i believe everything on stuff.co.nz. your probably right.

//o... wait on.

braking and stopping are two different things.

all things being equal, a rigid truck in a straight line lockup will stop faster than a car on the same stretch.
    an artic with the suspension loaded going around a corner, on the other hand, will fuck up everyone's day if it has to drop anchor.

How quick would depend on size and weight carried
    fun fact. trucks, by definition, are bigger and heavier than cars.

Bike
    But I have read safety advice in the media about trucks that they can not brake as quickly as cars. How quick would depend on size and weight carried I would have thought.

Here we go again!
    Sigh,Did what you read tell you tht a fully loaded truck applying it's brek in an emergency literally locks up all of the wheels and it most certainly stops much quicker than most cars and definitely quicker than any bike,ABS and or rider skills might mitigate some riders form said statement, b ut most would not stop before a truck, laden or unladen.
    Your reading material is obviously as one dimensional as you appear to be.
    Again, you only talk in terms of the wort case.
    Most of us have not experienced nearly as many worst cases at it appears you have and have no concept of the amount of fear you must ride around in constantly, we read, we ride, we practice safe/ish riding most of the time and generally we are prepared for what comes our way on any given day.
    Since when does the media?????????? qualify as a source of information of any sort that is either accurate or UnBiased? In particular reference to motorcyclists here in NZ our media is most certainly against any form of transport that isn't on 4 wheels, surely you must know that?????????

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    My point being that we will never know because it will be forgotten about and just become another statistic for us to be beaten with. Rather than that why don't we take to opportunity to learn something, to learn what to do or what not to do in similar circumstances? Could save someone else.
    Because generally speaking motorcyclists don't like talking about accidents where the fault lies squarely on the shoulders of the motorcyclist.

They'd rather come out with trite bullshit like "ride free brother" and "at least he died doing what he loved" - and will label any discussion of the rider's faults as "way out of line".

Bike
    And once the overtake has been done the risk of a head on, on a bend still remains which seems not to have crossed your tiny mind.
    Someone once told me they thought cassina was a troll.
    I gave this serous consideration and almost talked myself into believing they could have been right.
    Now I know It isn't a troll.
    It's too damned stupid to be a troll.
    Didn't Pritch say complete a safe ovetake, as opportunity presented" ??? where then is the danger, there wasn't any because like most of us we'd take the option that meant there was no danger, not Ride On like a blinded mule head on into a train!"Still believing there were only 2 options to choose from and both of them potentially fatal.
    Go and put your head back where it came from.

Bike
    Kawasaki H2A 1973
    Overtaking, head ons, truck stopping distances, bloody hell ! We all need training, ongoing in one way or another. Things keep changing, motorcycles, other vehicles, etc too.

We need to pay attention ....I treat everyone else out on the road as a potential hazard, riding with courtesy and I like to think, some skills. I work on my skills every time I ride.

And the law is not there to help you, sometimes it hinders. The laws cannot make you a better rider. I break the law every time I get on a bike. I cannot remember a time when I have not once broken the speed limit during a ride, I often pull wheelies, and I have fun, but I try to have fun safely and with courtesy. Sometimes I go far too fast in the eyes of others. I make no excuse for that. I like to make my own space when I ride, and I definitely own my part of the road.

But I have not crashed on a public road, or caused a crash, for over 40 years and around 2M kilometres. A couple of lowsides as an overzealous teenager of course, I am certainly no saint. I usually ride alone or with a small group of friends, don't like the big group rides though have been on a few....they feel more dangerous in general. More idiots. I am never in fear on a bike, feels like I was born on one and nothing is more natural to me than being at home on 2 wheels. I love it, but it saddens me when I see the disregard of some. It is true, some people should never ride a bike. I enjoy training others but will never encourage anyone to ride, or learn unless they want to. They must want to do it without me pushing them into it. They must have the passion.

And to Cassina, you seem eager to bait your audience. At times it is good to listen to others, why don't you take a rider training course, you may enjoy it. You may also feel it helps you. You seem to have a passion for bikes, use it wisely. But if you have no passion, maybe you need to take the car from now on.

Bike
    So you think head on collisions can not happen on bends. Well you really are a muppet then.
    Um, excuse me, but if I'm not across the other guys lane then I'm not having a head on with anyone.
    Course they might be in my lane and it might be a blind bend. but you know what, the last time that happened I used my motorcycles ability to change direction and rode back into my side and around the front of them, once a long time ago, I got lucky and after making sure there was no one else on the other side of the road I was able to simply cross to the other side ( that made my hackles rise) and avoid the fool on my side.
    I usually ride with my eyes and ears open, it's worked so far.
    Call me a muppet again please.
    At least my observtions are accurate, stupid is actually too damned demeaning to idiots.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    And once the overtake has been done the risk of a head on, on a bend still remains which seems not to have crossed your tiny mind.
    If that is your greatest fear ... stay off the road.

OR ... avoid roads with bends ... (problem solved)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information