Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: NOT GOOD, Worst deaths in 19 years

Bike
    DR650XT Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    , or those who'd chosen not to partake in any form of ongoing training?
    Given the worship and fawning here on this forum about training its seems to be widespread, its hard to gauge if its had any significant influence on crash rates at all. A day or twos training does not change a users inherent traits and habits overnight, its no magic solution.
    See as 50 odd deaths is a realtively low number data wise, id like to see a more indepth breakdown of what actually contributed in each case. And if any of the riders had had 'training'....
    Eg how often is a bike just in the wrong place at wrong time and would have potentially died in a car anyway. Just like how theres a 'truck accident' when a car crosses centreline and hits a truck, that truck could have been a car unable to swerve in tiem and the results would be similar.
    Failing to take corners and life seriously since 197X

Bike
    BMW XChallenge, GSXR1250fa, CBR1000rr
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Given the worship and fawning here on this forum about training its seems to be widespread, its hard to gauge if its had any significant influence on crash rates at all. A day or twos training does not change a users inherent traits and habits overnight, its no magic solution.
    See as 50 odd deaths is a realtively low number data wise, id like to see a more indepth breakdown of what actually contributed in each case. And if any of the riders had had 'training'....
    Eg how often is a bike just in the wrong place at wrong time and would have potentially died in a car anyway. Just like how theres a 'truck accident' when a car crosses centreline and hits a truck, that truck could have been a car unable to swerve in tiem and the results would be similar.
    Given that proper training takes more than a weekend, I would agree. My current advanced one I think will take a year to get through.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    xtz125 "piefinder"
    Blog Entries
    after all the training you're still inherently at the bane of other motorists (drill it right back and you'll see what I mean) still it's good to take responsibility for your end, risk makes life worthwhile

Bike
    1982 HONDA CB750FC
    We love this stat in transport industry, especially quoted in millions of km travelled. However it only takes a few bad eggs and also unfortunate circumstance for stats to take an unfavourable turn. And its a bad stat to rely on as soon congestion will grow to the point where less km per vehicle will be travelled, but people will still do dumb stuff and crash/die as often as before.

My theory is fatigue is massively under represented. What happens in a crash is one or more person makes a bad decision, that is then amplified by other factors -speed, alcohol, poor road condtions, road side infrastructure. So as long as this core factor remains due to long work hours, long commuting distances and kwiiws love of travel on weekends for sports and adventure, little will change.
    With fatique one thing that is not taken into account is that certain vehicles can be less tiring to drive than others but unfortunatly the less tiring ones are more expensive. I once drove a Holden Commodore down to Queenstown at about the same speeds as my 2L car and I did not feel tired untill I got there as opposed to starting to feel tired at about 3/4 of the way but I always have a feed at that point to keep the tiredness away anyway. The same goes for bikes too as the more stable (bigger) they are on the open road the less tiring I have found them to ride.

Bike
    1982 HONDA CB750FC
    I have been rubbished many times on here for not wanting to take up training as there are a number on here who believe training will save you everytime someone else screws up. Those that think that have obviously never been in a situation where things have happened so quick there is no time to even brake or swerve.

Bike
    1982 HONDA CB750FC
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Given that proper training takes more than a weekend, I would agree. My current advanced one I think will take a year to get through.

If you have been told by a ridng school it will take them a year to train you I think they are conning you out of your money. They are also conning you if they have got you believing at the end of that year you will never be in an accident as a result of their training.

Bike
    BMW XChallenge, GSXR1250fa, CBR1000rr
    If you have been told by a ridng school it will take them a year to train you I think they are conning you out of your money. They are also conning you if they have got you believing at the end of that year you will never be in an accident as a result of their training.
    Its free. Retard.

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    you will never be in an accident as a result of their training.

You're unique in trumpeting that perception.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Next it will be compulsory hi-viz.

Or ban black helmets.

Maybe a MINIMUM 100db motorcycle exhaust policy

Bike
    1982 HONDA CB750FC
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Its free. Retard.

You would have to be a retard if it takes you a year to learn to ride a bike.

Bike
    A little yellow one
    There's no worship in training from me, the focus being self preservation. Silly thing is that I've seen training pay dividends in the transport industry, even if I may have been reluctant at first to go along with some of the approaches to stuff I reckoned I already knew.

Just as there's a difference between a rider who has ridden his whole life, versus one who may have had the licence since age 15 but only had 2 years riding in that time. Which one do we expect to do better in an emergency situation? Apply a bit of ongoing training and the odds improve again, that's how I view training of any kind after obtaining the licence...improving the odds of avoiding a mishap, regardless of who is to blame. And let's be fair, starting with situational awareness, how many riders shrink their own margin for safety to the point where hospital food is inevitable at the slightest error on anyone's part?
    If the words I say offend you, imagine the ones I keep to myself...

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Next it will be compulsory hi-viz.

Or ban black helmets.

Maybe a MINIMUM 100db motorcycle exhaust policy
    pfft it's PC madness! :P

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    A couple of points.....

1. The belief that public roads double as racetracks is still extremely common among New Zealand motorcyclists and until we change that attitude we will continue to see unflattering statistics.

2. There is an appalling number of motorcyclists out there who seem incapable of concentrating on what they're doing to the level required to minimise the associated risks of motorcycling. I once had someone on here say to me "but you can't be expected to concentrate the whole time". I'm still staggered by the stupidity of that comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberk View Post
    Oh I must really irk you to be repeatedly proven to be a total utter moron in public.

Bike
    Kawasaki
    There's always something new to learn about riding, yet you seem to still not have learnt the first thing, going by the dribble you post.

Bike
    00 ZX-12R, 80 XS750SE
    You'd have to be a fucking retard to think you can learn to ride a bike within a year!
    You never stop learning & the day you do you're dead

Thread Information