Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: NOT GOOD, Worst deaths in 19 years

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    If you have been told by a ridng school it will take them a year to train you I think they are conning you out of your money. They are also conning you if they have got you believing at the end of that year you will never be in an accident as a result of their training.
    Its free. Retard.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    you will never be in an accident as a result of their training.

You're unique in trumpeting that perception.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Next it will be compulsory hi-viz.

Or ban black helmets.

Maybe a MINIMUM 100db motorcycle exhaust policy

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Given the worship and fawning here on this forum about training its seems to be widespread, its hard to gauge if its had any significant influence on crash rates at all. A day or twos training does not change a users inherent traits and habits overnight, its no magic solution.
    See as 50 odd deaths is a realtively low number data wise, id like to see a more indepth breakdown of what actually contributed in each case. And if any of the riders had had 'training'....
    Eg how often is a bike just in the wrong place at wrong time and would have potentially died in a car anyway. Just like how theres a 'truck accident' when a car crosses centreline and hits a truck, that truck could have been a car unable to swerve in tiem and the results would be similar.
    There's no worship in training from me, the focus being self preservation. Silly thing is that I've seen training pay dividends in the transport industry, even if I may have been reluctant at first to go along with some of the approaches to stuff I reckoned I already knew.

Just as there's a difference between a rider who has ridden his whole life, versus one who may have had the licence since age 15 but only had 2 years riding in that time. Which one do we expect to do better in an emergency situation? Apply a bit of ongoing training and the odds improve again, that's how I view training of any kind after obtaining the licence...improving the odds of avoiding a mishap, regardless of who is to blame. And let's be fair, starting with situational awareness, how many riders shrink their own margin for safety to the point where hospital food is inevitable at the slightest error on anyone's part?

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Next it will be compulsory hi-viz.

Or ban black helmets.

Maybe a MINIMUM 100db motorcycle exhaust policy
    pfft it's PC madness! :P

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    A couple of points.....

1. The belief that public roads double as racetracks is still extremely common among New Zealand motorcyclists and until we change that attitude we will continue to see unflattering statistics.

2. There is an appalling number of motorcyclists out there who seem incapable of concentrating on what they're doing to the level required to minimise the associated risks of motorcycling. I once had someone on here say to me "but you can't be expected to concentrate the whole time". I'm still staggered by the stupidity of that comment.

Bike
    Kawasaki
    You would have to be a retard if it takes you a year to learn to ride a bike.
    There's always something new to learn about riding, yet you seem to still not have learnt the first thing, going by the dribble you post.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    You'd have to be a fucking retard to think you can learn to ride a bike within a year!
    You never stop learning & the day you do you're dead

Bike
    Mine
    You'd have to be a retard to think that after a year (or less) of riding you know everything there is to know about riding a bike. Hell, I've been riding since 1982 and, while I'd call myself (as have others) a competant rider, I'm still a learner and will be till the day I die.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    There's been an interesting series in the Herald this week. In the second article someone analysed the holiday period accidents for the last 5 years.

I'm not sure whether they assigned multiple causes to each accident, but the main cause was not speed or alcohol, but loss of control. Not what the police would have us believe.

Another interesting finding that personality is also a factor. People who tend to take risks are often those who have accidents. Funny that.

It is becoming increasingly obvious that the current approach to road safety is not working, especially during the holidays.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    If you still consider yourself a learner why is your bike a GSX 750 and not a learner dedicated LAMS bike? I have been riding since 1976 with no Mid Life Crisis break in between and the only learning I have to do is when I change bikes and familiarise myself with the different handling braking gearing and power band of each bike. If learning to ride was that difficult the NZTA would require all riders to do 12 months at a riding school before getting their full license.
    You're awesome. What's your favourite colour power band?
    Manopausal.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    There's been an interesting series in the Herald this week. In the second article someone analysed the holiday period accidents for the last 5 years.

I'm not sure whether they assigned multiple causes to each accident, but the main cause was not speed or alcohol, but loss of control. Not what the police would have us believe.

Another interesting finding that personality is also a factor. People who tend to take risks are often those who have accidents. Funny that.

It is becoming increasingly obvious that the current approach to road safety is not working, especially during the holidays.
    How many folks towing race or stock car trailers are law abiding? Same for adventure sports enthusiasts. Bikers are no different really. Portion of any group which can be easily identified will be stereotyped by the worst behavior displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    You'd have to be a retard to think that after a year (or less) of riding you know everything there is to know about riding a bike. Hell, I've been riding since 1982 and, while I'd call myself (as have others) a competant rider, I'm still a learner and will be till the day I die.
    Ditto for me, plenty of years riding but always learning...

Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    You're awesome. What's your favourite colour power band?
    We must resist picking on the challenged...

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    This recent research out of Virginia Tech makes for interesting reading. Yes, it is US based, but that doesn't detract from the findings...

Summary:

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread...r-motorcycles?

Full report - 20 pages:

https://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/ms...tudy_Paper.pdf

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    I crunched the numbers over a year back, there is a lot of detailed low level information if you know where to look

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...ash+statistics

As for the article, it is worth noting it was proportion, cars got a lot safer post 2000's, bikes have not as we can't have airbags.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    A couple of points.....

1. The belief that public roads double as racetracks is still extremely common among New Zealand motorcyclists and until we change that attitude we will continue to see unflattering statistics.

2. There is an appalling number of motorcyclists out there who seem incapable of concentrating on what they're doing to the level required to minimise the associated risks of motorcycling. I once had someone on here say to me "but you can't be expected to concentrate the whole time". I'm still staggered by the stupidity of that comment.
    Pffft, none of this is isolated to NZ.

Thread Information