Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: NOT GOOD, Worst deaths in 19 years

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    Filter out the scooter riders from the motorcycle riders
    Agree, but ONLY for the 49cc bracket. Anything you need a motorcycle license to ride should be classed as a motorcycle. The wee scoots should have their own category and crash stats.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    If you still consider yourself a learner why is your bike a GSX 750 and not a learner dedicated LAMS bike? I have been riding since 1976 with no Mid Life Crisis break in between and the only learning I have to do is when I change bikes and familiarise myself with the different handling braking gearing and power band of each bike. If learning to ride was that difficult the NZTA would require all riders to do 12 months at a riding school before getting their full license.
    Mate, you really are a problem. Those that consider they have nothing to learn are those that will never improve. I've been riding as my primary transport for 24 years (10 year overseas interruption) and I still don't think I'm perfect, far from it. I learn something every time I throw my leg over the bike. Be it something new or just honing things I've met before.

The term "Learner" is very much misused when it comes to the legality of riding. I would much prefer that all those "L" plates be thrown out and replaced with "N" plates. Far more accurate to describe a "new" rider as a Novice than merely a learner - that term belongs to all humanity.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I have been rubbished many times on here for not wanting to take up training as there are a number on here who believe training will save you everytime someone else screws up. Those that think that have obviously never been in a situation where things have happened so quick there is no time to even brake or swerve.
    Right here is why the training is needed.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    This recent research out of Virginia Tech makes for interesting reading. Yes, it is US based, but that doesn't detract from the findings...
    One problem I have with studies like this is the observer effect. There are going to be one hell of a lot of riders that will not ride as they normally do if their bike's covered in cameras and data loggers.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    One problem I have with studies like this is the observer effect. There are going to be one hell of a lot of riders that will not ride as they normally do if their bike's covered in cameras and data loggers.
    True, bias is always an issue with observational data gathering. However, you'd have thought that if you were being observed you be more careful than normal... so why the high incidence of rear-endings?

At least they are trying to look objectively at what riders are doing. Our motorcycle safety council could certainly look at undertaking similar research here through the road safety research group at the University of Waikato.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    There's been an interesting series in the Herald this week. In the second article someone analysed the holiday period accidents for the last 5 years.

I'm not sure whether they assigned multiple causes to each accident, but the main cause was not speed or alcohol, but loss of control. Not what the police would have us believe.

Another interesting finding that personality is also a factor. People who tend to take risks are often those who have accidents. Funny that.

It is becoming increasingly obvious that the current approach to road safety is not working, especially during the holidays.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
    Loss of control due to shitty, un-swept, tar bleed covered, pothole infested roads (or at least sections of road)?

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Loss of control due to shitty, un-swept, tar bleed covered, pothole infested roads (or at least sections of road)?
    None of which should present a huge challenge to a rider travelling at a sensible pace, with their eyes open...

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    None of which should present a huge challenge to a rider travelling at a sensible pace, with their eyes open...
    You suggest that we ride, or for that matter - drive, to the conditions...

could be a novel action for some.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Unswept gravel is an all too common hazard, especially on Auckland's back roads. I don't think Auckland Transport has any idea how dangerous it can be for motorcycles.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Eggzakery. But that would mean planning your corners.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    Unswept gravel is an all too common hazard, especially on Auckland's back roads. I don't think Auckland Transport has any idea how dangerous it can be for motorcycles.

It's everywhere (gravel), roads aren't the problem, but you're right about council, shits given about the road surface effect on motorcycles? 0

I do like how that research was conducted. If anonymity was guaranteed I would be guinea pig.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Ahhhh where do you ride? Shit loads of blind corners, and regardless of speed it's not uncommon for there is be pot holes, shingle, sheep or a tourist stopped in the middle of the road taking a fucking photo .....

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Ahhhh where do you ride? Shit loads of blind corners, and regardless of speed it's not uncommon for there is be pot holes, shingle, sheep or a tourist stopped in the middle of the road taking a fucking photo .....
    Yup, that about sums it up but replace sheep for cattle, dogs or pigs and add in tar slicks just for a laugh. On our Boxing day jaunt we went through lane wide tar bleed, mid corner, which had been carried past the point of origin for a good 20mtrs by the traffic going through it. Must remember that for next time I round the corner in the rain.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Must remember that for next time I round the corner in the rain.

That's good point - on my most frequently travelled ride I know the dips and bumps and take lines to avoid - ironically yesterday being respectful of the volume of Xmas cars I was on one such corner at about 60 behind a car (usual speed on this bend is 'legal'...), took a totally different scenic line around the corner and discovered a new most impressive mid corner dip.

A piece of road resurfaced during the year I may add - poorly as with most Christchurch roads .... unless they are now deliberately engineering uneven surfaces into corners to slow motorcycles down - hey - is this the solution the police are looking for?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    It would be impossible to develop training for situations when things happen too quick to brake or swerve. It would be like developing training to survive any earthquake irrespective of where you happen to be at the time.
    This is why you keep crashing and blaming what ever it is you hit. 8 times now?

Thread Information