Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: NOT GOOD, Worst deaths in 19 years

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    It would be impossible to develop training for situations when things happen too quick to brake or swerve. It would be like developing training to survive any earthquake irrespective of where you happen to be at the time.
    Training and adequate concentration can certainly aid in foreseeing what might happen.

Foreseeing what might happen gives you a distinct advantage over those who ride with their brains switched off.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Not all of us are born with woman's intuition though especially if we are guys
    Foresight is not the sole domain of women.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Yup, that about sums it up but replace sheep for cattle, dogs or pigs and add in tar slicks just for a laugh. On our Boxing day jaunt we went through lane wide tar bleed, mid corner, which had been carried past the point of origin for a good 20mtrs by the traffic going through it. Must remember that for next time I round the corner in the rain.
    You should be able to stop in the distance you can see.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Training and adequate concentration can certainly aid in foreseeing what might happen.

Foreseeing what might happen gives you a distinct advantage over those who ride with their brains switched off.
    For a change I agree with you.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    None of which should present a huge challenge to a rider travelling at a sensible pace, with their eyes open...

To a point for sure, after that it's just a bunch of people preaching what they can't practice (because there is always an element of risk and the unknown).

Anyway, moving back to the poorly written 'article'....

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    When I first saw this thread I thought it was about Drownings in NZ, Motorcycle deaths will be well under half of the needless drownings around the country, over 90 drowning deaths in 2014.

Sorry,
    I know, back on to the topic.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    When I first saw this thread I thought it was about Drownings in NZ, Motorcycle deaths will be well under half of the needless drownings around the country, over 90 drowning deaths in 2014.

Sorry,
    It's a valid point and a pet annoyance of mine that surf life saving is not government funded. They are one of the few organisations that I part with some hard earned cash to every year.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Rather than complain about shitty roads I think we really need to be buying vehicles/bikes to handle them due to the NZTA and councils being all the time short of cash unless its for something arty.

But they are so friggen ugly those 'adventure bikes'

Hmmm maybe a Hypermotard or KTM with TKC 80's ........

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Those that think that have obviously never been in a situation where things have happened so quick there is no time to even brake or swerve.
    On the other hand, and much more likely, their training may have meant they had the time needed to brake or swerve due to having seen the situation develop.

Situational awareness can be taught, ask Katman. It is most unlikely ignorance is going to prove to be an advantage.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

"Adventure Bikes"

Often practicality and looks do not go together though if we want to be able to handle rough road conditions with ease.

Maybe if BMW fixed those mismatched headlamps

The S1000XR is supposed to be the hybrid sportsbike/adventure bike for people who want both and have a spare $30,000.

24 pedestrians died this year, so you could die just walking about - just sayin'.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Much is said about the MLC or returning biker. But I would be very interested to see statistics on the types of bikes they buy when they return.

Bearing in mind they were likely riding something that was prolly lucky to put out 40-50 bhp and now God knows what their current choice is putting out They could be unwittingly putting themselves at a higher risk than they realise.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    The majority of MLC bikers buy Harleys which do not put out a hell of a lot of power despite their engine size but many riders could come to grief on them taking tight corners though. They are a bike along with other brands of cruisers that you buy more for looks than ease of rideability. I demoed one when I had reached a MLC age and it did nothing for me. So it is possible to get through life without having a MLC.
    Then there are the "Street Rossi's" on gixxers and ducatis and those bikes are well over 100hp.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    This recent research out of Virginia Tech makes for interesting reading. Yes, it is US based, but that doesn't detract from the findings...

Summary:

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread...r-motorcycles?

Full report - 20 pages:

https://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/ms...tudy_Paper.pdf
    Thank you for posting that - quite interesting reading BUT I think ultimately the results of a study like this will be inaccurate. It relied on volunteers allowing gear to be mounted on the bie and if you know you are being watched your behaviour changes.

Having said that - still some interesting ideas....

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post

Sorry,
    Careful - next they'll be fencing off the beaches. Everyone seems to be under the impression that death is completely preventable. It isn't really - we are all going to die someday - fact.
    People still manage to kill themselves in cars, surrounded by airbags, crumple zones, 4 sticky tyres with huge contact patches, ABS, traction control & active stability.

Is it really a massive surprise that someone sitting astride an engine with wheels and two minuscule contact patches and nothing to protect them except for a fibreglass bowl and some cow skin (if your lucky) is more likely to be killed or seriously injured?

A minor fender bender that doesn't even trigger the airbag in a car could cause a life changing injury to a motorcyclist.

Having said that a lot of motorcyclists don't do themselves any favours (myself included) by riding like complete dick heads on occasion.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    another one overnight DRZ rider too

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8800...sh-in-cromwell

Thread Information