Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: NOT GOOD, Worst deaths in 19 years

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Which would certainly be some sort of silver bullet.
    If the fucking conditions didn't change from perfect to fucked in two meters with zero warning.
    Booby traps don't cause all of the "carnage", but they sure don't help.
    Agree... road signage and markings, whether permanent or temporary, can leave something to be desired... I wonder if some "road engineers" ever drive on the roads they are responsible for?

To be more fair than may be necessary most of the related riding isn't on what can strictly be called roads.

So we're back to dirt bikes.
    I understand the same approach is used by ACC, so that farmer having an "off" on his quad is counted as a "bike accident"...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    But would it not be time to give up riding if you are in constant fear of being hit. The only time when it really is close to a constant fear for me is if I am on wet/icy roads but usually take the car in such situations too.
    Most motorcyclists that ride at (or near) their limits ... usually adhere to the principals of risk management.

It's not riding in fear of their life ... usually just the aversion to pain ... that keeps their attention to their riding.

"Being hit" is not usually a regular event for a motorcyclist. If it is ... then they didn't learn anything from the first time they were hit.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Agree... road signage and markings, whether permanent or temporary, can leave something to be desired... I wonder if some "road engineers" ever drive on the roads they are responsible for?

I understand the same approach is used by ACC, so that farmer having an "off" on his quad is counted as a "bike accident"...
    If an "engineer's" involved at all it's obviously not one that has ever tackled a 4x4 post at any speed in person. Maybe that should be considered part of "road engineer" training.

Aye. I was being facetious wrt HD inclusion in motorcycle stat's, but you're correct; quads are counted in most official stat's too. I wonder if there's any point at all in asking for comparisons between quads, the light tractors that preceded them and the horses they replaced? 'Cause I'm pretty sure there'd be substantial improvements in every case...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    So exactly half of them weren't actually road bikes...
    Looks like MV and KTM are the safest option.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Looks like MV and KTM are the safest option.
    Good spotting. I may feature on a list of "severely bruised" though.

Must admit I'm surprised that three people managed to get their Ducatis going long enough to contribute...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    If you have to ride with so much fear of coming to grief is it not time to give up riding? Do people climb mountains with a fear of coming to grief?
    A little fear is a healthy thing.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    I wonder if I've misunderstood Table 4.

I took from what was presented in that table to mean that the biker hit the rear of the other vehicle. My reason for thinking that is that other categories are labelled "other vehicle" which implies, to me, that the first category - "rear end, striking" - means the bike struck another vehicle.
    Sory, bad assumption re your post on my part.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    A bikers' rear may be a problem in stop/start traffic or stationary at a junction. That's where rearward observation combined with an escape path comes into it.
    Agreed. I just meant that I don't think too many riders are worried about being rear-ended.

Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Constantly adapting to conditions is the mark of a skilled rider though isn't it? A bit of anticipation reduces the element of surprise to a degree.
    Indeed it is. But even the most alert rider can be caught out, just not nearly as often (and likely with a better result) as someone with the careless attitude that cassina seems to be advocating.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    All the time riding looking for potential things that could go wrong does give me the impressing you ride in fear. My level of alertness for danger varies depending on where I am but if fear was to kick in as soon as I got out the gate I would give up riding.
    I'm shocked that you can equated making yourself as aware of your surroundings as possible, with riding in fear.

Do you also subscribe to the theory that you can't be expected to concentrate the whole time you're riding?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hads View Post
    I crunched the numbers over a year back, there is a lot of detailed low level information if you know where to look

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...ash+statistics

As for the article, it is worth noting it was proportion, cars got a lot safer post 2000's, bikes have not as we can't have airbags.
    ta will have to look closer aletr when have time
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Agreed. Although, no matter how much training you get, it's important to remember that you will never know what you still don't know.
    Yep that's one thing I keep in mind, both training and experience never fully prepare you for every scenario.
    The best training io had, however simple was the plain old boring defensive driving course back in highschool days. Back then it had not occurred to me (as young person) that running off the road entirely was an option when confronted with headon crash. "What you mean Im going to wreck my new wheels, let the other guy in worng escape and tehn live to tell about it, that kinda sucks!"
    There were three or maybe four R's, read road ahead, realise dangerous sitiaution, react (move left or brake), run right off road if necessary. That basic premise still works for with addition of experience fine tuning it.
    But I do wonder how many road victims thought processes don't get to enage that far, just fear and panic braking only.....

Very often I've seen a dangerous sitation develop and the oncoming motorist reacts too slowly to the bad driver due to their sense of entitlement of them not suppose to being on their side of road....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Yep that's one thing I keep in mind, both training and experience never fully prepare you for every scenario.
    The best training io had, however simple was the plain old boring defensive driving course back in highschool days. Back then it had not occurred to me (as young person) that running off the road entirely was an option when confronted with headon crash. "What you mean Im going to wreck my new wheels, let the other guy in worng escape and tehn live to tell about it, that kinda sucks!"
    There were three or maybe four R's, read road ahead, realise dangerous sitiaution, react (move left or brake), run right off road if necessary. That basic premise still works for with addition of experience fine tuning it.
    But I do wonder how many road victims thought processes don't get to enage that far, just fear and panic braking only.....

Very often I've seen a dangerous sitation develop and the oncoming motorist reacts too slowly to the bad driver due to their sense of entitlement of them not suppose to being on their side of road....
    To me training gives you options when things go wrong. Say when you are out wide on a turn and you see a tractor going slow, you have more time to react.

I agree that sometimes shit is going to get you but would rather have a good chance to react.

As a side note, better observation has improved my driving as well. Bit had to filter in a Commodore though.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Summat missing in this well chewed topic so far, IMHO, is why we ride bikes in the first place. They are fun! Bloody hilarious actually and for me personally, totally involving. It's not just the braaaap I enjoy but doing something which takes up all of my attention. I don't think about whats for tea or who has posted on facebook when I'm riding, I'm in the moment. Observing, anticipating, trying to join the dots of everything I can sense.

I don't apply myself so completely because I'm in fear, it's because I enjoy it, love it.

Training and practice is fun, too. It takes me out of my comfort zone, improves my instinctive reactions and broadens my abilities and knowledge. Which, funnily enough, makes riding even more fun. Rinse and repeat.
    It's always a pleasure when a potential hazard pops up on the radar and is a non event due to what I'm learning and practicing. I like non eventful rides.

Training is a social thing, too. It's great to get out and meet new riders and highly skilled professionals, talk bikes, share stories and generally broaden the whole motorcycle experience. It may not be for everybody but a days training is a nice change from riding the usual roads and generally gives me more to consider next time I do head out for a Far North lap.

Just sayin. Anything that increases the fun factor and improves safety has to be a good thing.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    It would be interesting to get cassina evaluated by Peter. I suspect there are big issues with her riding.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Often if I have no traffic in front of me with a lot of traffic coming towards I will slow down and ride as much to the left as possible in case someone trys an overtake.
    I'm probably going to regret getting into a conversation with you again, but ah fuck it, here goes. What you've described there to me sounds like you are riding in fear. Riding in fear of someone overtaking so you slow right down and move as far left in your lane as possible. That to me is inviting an overtake because it's quite possible someone will see an essentially empty opposite lane. In the situation you describe above I'll stay in my normal position (called 'owning your lane') and watch closely for any change in the oncoming traffics behaviour. And while I haven't been riding quite as long as you I've never had a situation arise where I've had to take 'emergency action', but I have however needed to react to a vehicle pulling out which I've done with no knee-jerk response.

Thread Information