Thread: what was available when?

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one

what was available when?

for the sake of post classic stuff, where one is limited to items available during certain time periods . . .

Has anyone done a thread where there is a list of when certain mods, that have become more common on modern bikes, originally became available? like braided lines etc? how does one go about chucking on better brake pads, do they need to worry about whether that particular compound was available at the time as well?

I imagine it could be a minefield trying to figure out when a certain type of product became available?

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    for the sake of post classic stuff, where one is limited to items available during certain time periods . . .

Has anyone done a thread where there is a list of when certain mods, that have become more common on modern bikes, originally became available? like braided lines etc? how does one go about chucking on better brake pads, do they need to worry about whether that particular compound was available at the time as well?

I imagine it could be a minefield trying to figure out when a certain type of product became available?
    The onus is on the competitor to prove its validity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post

First up, Read the MNZ rule book.

17.2b Major Components: All classes
    Major components are: Frame (including Swingarm), Engine and Gearbox castings, carburettors, Brakes (excluding front and rear master cylinders which are open) and forks. These are to be manufactured between Jan 1st 1963 and December 31st 1989. Major components manufactured in any country shall be acceptable. The onus of proof of eligibility shall rest wholly upon the rider or entrant of the machine.
    Modifications to major components are allowed, providing that such modifications are visually indistinguishable from modifications proven to have been used during this period. The onus of proof rests with the entrant
    or rider of the machine.

17.5f Brakes: (pre 89)
    Front and rear brakes must be manufactured in the period, or faithful replicas. Maximum disk diameter is 320mm and maximum number of pistons per calliper is 4, unless fitted as original equipment to the bike concerned (Onus of proof is on rider or entrant of the machine).
    6 pot callipers are banned unless fitted to machine as original equipment. Rear disc is open, but must not exceed 300mm diameter.
    Wave discs are banned. Carbon discs are banned.
    Front and rear master cylinders are open, but no direct pull or “radial” front master cylinders.

The major components being the BIG bits, just the calipers discs, carb bodies, engine castings, frame swing arm, forks etc. Brake lines and pads are not treated as major components and hell, like tyres are consumable item and trying to limit something like that which is constantly evolving would be hard. What goes on inside is not of any ones concern as long as you don't blow capacity limits etc.

No there are no threads that I know of. Be sort of like letting your competition know all your secrets..... if in doubt, PM me as I had a big hand in the technical stuff and can provide guideance. BUT you do need to do your own homework as Grumph says. The onus is on you to prove it.

Bike
    Exercycle
    I would certainly have said that but it was husa who got that bit right...

From my POV as a builder, pre 89 is the easiest class to build for as it's pretty much open slather Vs the earlier periods. Most calipers amd mastercylinders for the period are easy to find and relatively cheap. For the OP's F3, if the brakes are in good nick there's no reason to change anything. Suspension upgrades will probably be the best investment - a good shock of course.
    Leave the motor as stock as possible initially but look at funding a set of flatslides...

I actually have two pet moans when it comes to rule enforcement in any of the categories....
    Wider rims than allowed in the rules - 5.5 rears in pre 82's and I note that there are very wide - 3in and wider - rims appearing on pre 72's now. WRONG.
    Bikes that don't look "period" Worst example I ever saw was a 916 Ducati seat on a Suzuki waterbus....again, just plain wrong.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I would certainly have said that but it was husa who got that bit right...

From my POV as a builder, pre 89 is the easiest class to build for as it's pretty much open slather Vs the earlier periods. Most calipers amd mastercylinders for the period are easy to find and relatively cheap. For the OP's F3, if the brakes are in good nick there's no reason to change anything. Suspension upgrades will probably be the best investment - a good shock of course.
    Leave the motor as stock as possible initially but look at funding a set of flatslides...

I actually have two pet moans when it comes to rule enforcement in any of the categories....
    Wider rims than allowed in the rules - 5.5 rears in pre 82's and I note that there are very wide - 3in and wider - rims appearing on pre 72's now. WRONG.
    Bikes that don't look "period" Worst example I ever saw was a 916 Ducati seat on a Suzuki waterbus....again, just plain wrong.
    Doh, too much of a hurry!

Yep, way correct on the rim sizes, that's just taking the piss when the rules are pretty obvious and clear cut. I've been stunned over years talking to guys who have tried to build a Postie bike and never actually read the rule book and just tried to work on assumptive mode....

Agree also on the old bikes should look old. in Aussie, many bikes in pre 82 ran for a long time a 900SS (belt drive one) seat. just didn't look right. It's a little anal, but in the UK the CRMC have banned digital water temp gauges and late 80's seats and fairings on the early 80's TZ's.

Thread Information