Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Ténéré : Anyone got one in Wellington?

Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (2009)

Found! - Super Ténéré : Anyone got one in Wellington

Edit: Found one.

I'm in the market for a good two up bike, and the Super Ténéré is of interest.

I was wondering if anyone in Wellington has a Super Ténéré, and would be ever so kind as to let myself and my better half come and have a look at, have a chat, tyrekick, and maybe a climb on to see how one would suit us as a two up bike?

Unless I've missed something, as far as I know the closest Yamaha dealer is in Auckland?

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Unless you count Upper Hutt from what the internets says.

Might not have one in stock though, guess a phone call will sort that.

https://www.google.co.nz/?gws_rd=ssl...aha+wellington

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Unless you count Upper Hutt from what the internets says.

Might not have one in stock though, guess a phone call will sort that.
    Been there, done that I'm afraid. :/

No Ténérés, super or not, nor for years. Mainly dirt bikes and quads unfortunately.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    There's a couple at a dealer in Nelson: one new, one used. They arent exactly common, don't recall ever seeing one on the road.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    There's a couple at a dealer in Nelson: one new, one used.
    Thanks. I'll investigate. Nelson might be a bit of a hassle...

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    They arent exactly common, don't recall ever seeing one on the road.
    Haven't seen one either that I recall... else we would have flagged them down and hassled them.

We checked one out years ago, but weren't in the market for one at that time (I was more interested in the normal Ténéré); but times change and two up is now the focus.

Main interest / #1 contender is a Susuki GSX1400. Will go test ride the V-Strom / Wee-Strom shortly. Tested a Tiger 800XC, but neither of us were impressed... and am now looking at the Super Ténéré in a different light.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    If you are after a bike with that styling and good for two up you could consider the Aprilia Caponord. Yes, I am biased! Motorad have one sitting in the showroom you could take a look at. A lot of bike for the money. The Aprilia is not shaft drive but if you are looking at the VStrom that maybe isn't a non-negotiable?

PM me if you want more information from a user perspective. I did a short review on here as well if you search the model
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Should have tried out the 1050 Tiger. Different bike entirely. Suits slightly taller rider though. I'm 5'8 and was OK but had to be cautious at stops
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Should have tried out the 1050 Tiger. Different bike entirely. Suits slightly taller rider though. I'm 5'8 and was OK but had to be cautious at stops
    I'll bear that in mind, will see if I can check one out. I'm a wee touch taller, but wary about having too high a seat height after my KTM...

Bike
    R100GSPD
    nelson is no hassle,
    http://www.soundsair.com/routes/
    $120 book on internet
    nice ride to ferry.
    $126 book on internet
    in the scheme of buying a 15000 odd bike 250 aint bad is it?

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    This just seems bizarre, I mean have you tried every local bike you're interested in before you go all over the country side to sit on a bike you may not even like?

Have you tried an Africa Twin or Versys or the Caponord?

Bike
    2022 BMW RnineT Pure
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    This just seems bizarre, I mean have you tried every local bike you're interested in before you go all over the country side to sit on a bike you may not even like?

Three vastly dissimilar bikes that share a few styling queues.

The Caponord is quite tall but well priced and has lots of features. The Versys 1000 is a really good two up bike, and the 650 will make a good fist of it, but will cost the same as the 1000 if you want hard luggage, so just buy the 1000 because it comes with it. The Africa Twin is more dirt bike than adventure-tourer, and not so good two up. It really is physically quite small.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    in the scheme of buying a 15000 odd bike 250 aint bad is it?
    No it isn't; and I wouldn't blink about dropping $250 to go pick her up. Like I said, its more about just having a quick eyeball, more so for my lady's benefit as shes the one going to be on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post

Considering the nearest place that has one is $x / x hours away, the whole point is not to go all over the country side just to look at a bike; if there was one in spitting distance, this thread wouldn't exist.

Africa Twin: Probably more suited as a solo / dirt, then a two up bike? Last time I tried one was many moons ago.
    Versys: Checked one out at Motorad... A litre would be a better call then the 650. Doesn't really tickle our fancy though, and those horrid colours...
    Caponord: Not really a fan of Italian bikes.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyO View Post
    No it isn't; and I wouldn't blink about dropping $250 to go pick her up. Like I said, its more about just having a quick eyeball, more so for my lady's benefit as shes the one going to be on the back.

Considering the nearest place that has one is $x / x hours away, the whole point is not to go all over the country side just to look at a bike; if there was one in spitting distance, this thread wouldn't exist.

Africa Twin: Probably more suited as a solo / dirt, then a two up bike? Last time I tried one was many moons ago.
    Versys: Checked one out at Motorad... A litre would be a better call then the 650. Doesn't really tickle our fancy though, and those horrid colours...
    There is a new africa twin of course its a 1000 now.I wonder about the super ten too.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Did anybody mention the Triumph Explorer?

Also a used BMW GS might do what you want. For most of the bikes mentioned you will need to be tall or you'll be tip toe which isn't ideal two up. BIKE magazine used to recommend riders of tall rounders to have good insurance because that style of bike gets dropped a lot while manoeuvring at slow speed.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyO View Post

Nor was I especially. I went to Motorad to check out the Versys and ended up with the Aprilia. I am mentioning the Caponord again because the two-up factor seems really quite important to you (which makes it a good idea to try the Super Tenere anyway) I was pretty set on a DL1000. Took my wife on a test ride on one from TSS, we didn't even make it to the motorway and she asked me to turnaround as it was so uncomfortable for her. We tried the Duc MS and Africa Twin, same deal, she wasn't impressed as a pillion. The Caponord scores mega points for comfort, room and ride when 2up. Mrs UK absolutely loves it. Have taken a few first time pillions out on it and they all commented on the amount of space and comfort being more than they expected (NB, not sure what they expected!!) All this and I have the vanilla non active suspension version, the fancysmancy one is supposed to be even better.
    I belong to an Aprilia forum, there is an Aussie guy on there who had a Caponord for a couple of years and now has a S1000R and an R1200GS. He took a bitter dislike to the Caponord and continues to hang around the forum to diss the bike to anyone who will listen. Despite all that he will readily tell you its the best 2up he has ever experienced and says the GS doesn't compare.

All the above are subjective opinions and like I say if your pillion gets a casting vote then definitely check out the Yammie but don't diss the Italian because of her place of birth. Test ride!

PS, a good mate went from a Goldwing to a Triumph Explorer and does a fair bit 2up, says something for the Trumpet.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Thread Information