Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rider jeans or leather pants??

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    Quote Originally Posted by KawasakiKid View Post
    For safety, both zips, jacket and pants, should be mounted direct to the leather, not via lycra
    Sorry, don't have any experience with leather. I mostly commute, so textile is my thing and the jacket zip is always mounted on lycra. I just assumed leather would be similar. Clearly not.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bike
    Kawasaki H2A 1973
    Quote Originally Posted by aws View Post
    Sorry, don't have any experience with leather. I mostly commute, so textile is my thing and the jacket zip is always mounted on lycra. I just assumed leather would be similar. Clearly not.

A friend of mine raced in the Clubman class in Christchurch NZ for a couple of seasons. His Alpinestars 2 piece suit had the jacket zip mounted to the mesh liner. Would not have stayed together in a feet forward slide.

Just something to be aware of when looking at riding gear.

Also what were the scrutineers thinking to pass such a suit for racing !

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    Quote Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post
    That's what I was thinking too, the convenience of jeans versus taking A change of clothes everyday. I Think I'll go leather first then look at some jeans further down the track. I have a place to stay a couple a nights during the week so can store stuff which makes life easier for the commute.
    My commute is only 25 k's each way, but I use jeans in the summer (with overpants in the wet). In the winter I use textile pants over my regular trousers. I never use the insulation layer when wearing other pants underneath. If you already have some textile pants then I'd start off with those and see how you go. After a bit of commuting you'll have a better idea of what is important to you.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    All of my sets have the zipper mounted to a stretch panel or liner on the jacket side. I've always hated that, and have considered having the zipper sewn directly to the leather.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    A friend of mine raced in the Clubman class in Christchurch NZ for a couple of seasons. His Alpinestars 2 piece suit had the jacket zip mounted to the mesh liner. Would not have stayed together in a feet forward slide.

Just something to be aware of when looking at riding gear.

Also what were the scrutineers thinking to pass such a suit for racing !
    I've crashed in A* gear as you've described and not had the suit fail. Not the perfect set up granted but it does work.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post
    I'm new back to riding so don't want to look like a dork riding in gear that looks stupid? The jacket I bought was a Alpine* motegi jacket in white and green. I'm a tall skinny guy who's not use to the leather pants look but it may grow on me??
    Black leather pants will go with anything.

If you want riding jeans, Rev'it - they're condura blend with abrasion lining and come with CE pads.

Bike
    GSX-R 750

Expert required

Where's Brett when you need him

Bike
    Kawasaki H2A 1973
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    I've crashed in A* gear as you've described and not had the suit fail. Not the perfect set up granted but it does work.
    My friend Ginger Molloy crashed at Manfield wearing 2 piece as I described above and the top zip tore out. He was a bit of a mess. Sometimes you will be ok for sure, but other times maybe not so good

Bike
    Klx250s

Rider jeans or leather pants??

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Buying riding jeans for the look is a bit silly. The main manufacturers selling in NZ (particularly Draggin) have a hilariously outdated view on what the current style is in jeans. They're all cut straight from the 90's, with flapping great legs blowing in the wind, and fabric straight from dad's closet. I haven't seen a pair of riding jeans yet that's a style I would be caught dead wearing.

I own these leather pants, and rate them highly:
    http://motocity.co.nz/clothing-and-g...-leather-pants

I also own these. They're OK, great qquality leather, OK stitching, shitty velcro, pretty meh design:
    http://www.1tonne.co.nz/product/leat...-pants/37/101/
    I have a pair of stovepipe jeans a la draggin(drayko)they were 6" too long and big flappy legs as you said.
    I took mine to a local tailor with a pair of regular jeans I liked the cut on and got them to copy the fit
    Cost me 48 dollars to get them done.
    I'm happy as with em now.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    My friend Ginger Molloy crashed at Manfield wearing 2 piece as I described above and the top zip tore out. He was a bit of a mess. Sometimes you will be ok for sure, but other times maybe not so good
    I hope the OP won't be wearing 40 year old motorcycle gear.

Bike
    Kawasaki H2A 1973
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    I hope the OP won't be wearing 40 year old motorcycle gear.
    This happened in the '70s. Ginger came off his H2R

Bike
    GSXR1000
    This happened in the '70s. Ginger came off his H2R
    Quite possibly things have improved by now. One of my crashes was a 90mph highside at Ruapuna, I tumbled and slid for quite a distance and the gear showed no signs of coming apart. Granted it's not the best option but still better than not having the pants and jacket connected. And lets face it, one piece suits are not that practical for daily road use.

Bike
    Kawasaki H2A 1973
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Quite possibly things have improved by now. One of my crashes was a 90mph highside at Ruapuna, I tumbled and slid for quite a distance and the gear showed no signs of coming apart. Granted it's not the best option but still better than not having the pants and jacket connected. And lets face it, one piece suits are not that practical for daily road use.
    That is true. I have seen modern suits come adrift too, not merely a '70s thing. Some are lucky, others not

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by aws View Post
    I suspect you've not looked at the available jeans for a fair few years, because there have been good styles available for quite a few years now. I've only had Draggin's, so can't comment on other brands, but I've been very happy with the cut. Sure early jeans were all wide legged "easy fit" with external seams and with scratchy knit on the inside. But straight legged lined jeans with no external seams have been around for years now. And the latest Twista skinny legged stretch denim jeans are almost indistinguishable from fashion jeans - and way comfortable for all day wear.

I'll have a look for that brand. I have a pair of Draggin Jeans which are exactly as you describe.. I do like the idea of skiinny leg stretch denim with some armour or whatever. Gotta be better than Levis or Nudies!
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Klx250s

Thread Information