Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rider jeans or leather pants??

Bike
    Nothing yet

Rider jeans or leather pants??

Hey all. I have just purchased a second hand (near new) Alpinestar leather jacket and was thinking of buying me a pair of riding jeans. Are there brands you recommend or ones I should avoid? I will be commuting from Hamilton to Tauranga at least 3 days a week (120ks each way) so protection is of the importance to me. I already have a winter set of gear. Just wondering if jeans or leather pants would be the better option during the summer months. Anyway if you have any thoughts that would be great. Thanks in advance. Eric

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    You're going to be riding on the open road so I'd suggest, if you can afford them, to buy a pair of leather pants.

Try to get ones that zip together with your jacket as that will give you greater protection should you need it. If necessary, have the zips on the pants or jacket altered so they do zip together. From what you have said you are familiar with trading websites - a good place to start looking.

Just my two-cents worth...

Enjoy your ride!

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Do you have any reason for not just getting leather pants? Budget? Work attire? if not then a pair of leather pants that zip to your A*'s jacket will always be the best bet. Zipping the two together means less chance of the jacket riding up if you happen to slide feet first in an accident.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Do you have any reason for not just getting leather pants? Budget? Work attire? if not then a pair of leather pants that zip to your A*'s jacket will always be the best bet. Zipping the two together means less chance of the jacket riding up if you happen to slide feet first in an accident.
    +1.
    Abrasion is only one reason to wear pants. Better armour in leather and the probability they will stay together well enough to ride home again or at least be repaired are also compelling arguments for leather over jeans.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    Nothing yet
    I have a $2000 budget to buy new gear... I ordered new boots, a helmet and some Nordic DRIRIDER pants and jacket for winter then bought the leather thinking I'd wear it in the summer. I have about $400 left to spend. I'm riding a 650 vstrom if that changes your thoughts?

Bike
    Nothing yet
    I'm new back to riding so don't want to look like a dork riding in gear that looks stupid? The jacket I bought was a Alpine* motegi jacket in white and green. I'm a tall skinny guy who's not use to the leather pants look but it may grow on me??

Bike
    Nothing yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    You're going to be riding on the open road so I'd suggest, if you can afford them, to buy a pair of leather pants.

Try to get ones that zip together with your jacket as that will give you greater protection should you need it. If necessary, have the zips on the pants or jacket altered so they do zip together. From what you have said you are familiar with trading websites - a good place to start looking.

Enjoy your ride!
    Thanks for that 😊

Bike
    Nothing yet
    http://www.bikeroutfit.nl/en/alpines...2015-copy.html
    This is the jacket I purchased. The white green one

Bike
    Nothing yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post

Enjoy your ride!
    Cheers Moi

Bike
    Nothing yet
    I'm thinking leathers is the go then? So now to find a pair within budget that suit the as forementioned jacket? Thanks again

Bike
    Sold
    Welcome! I see you're from Hamilton. Start by having a look in Boyds at Te Rapa as they have some good deals. http://www.boydmotorcycles.co.nz/Sto...=x&t=1&c=71296 . I ordered a new textile jacket from them yesterday to replace my 12 year old one that leaks like a sieve. I like their customer service and prices. Tyres especially good.

Cheers,

Geoff

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post
    . I'm riding a 650 vstrom if that changes your thoughts?
    Tarmac doesn't care what you fall from. Yes there's some great riding jeans out there but not many zip to leather jackets as far as I'm aware.

I'm new back to riding so don't want to look like a dork riding in gear that looks stupid? The jacket I bought was a Alpine* motegi jacket in white and green. I'm a tall skinny guy who's not use to the leather pants look but it may grow on me??
    Caring what others think < Looking after your own skin

I'm thinking leathers is the go then? So now to find a pair within budget that suit the as forementioned jacket? Thanks again
    For $400 you should be able to pick up some quality leather pants with zip function from a local retailer.

Bike
    Nothing yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Welcome! I see you're from Hamilton. Start by having a look in Boyds at Te Rapa as they have some good deals. http://www.boydmotorcycles.co.nz/Sto...=x&t=1&c=71296 . I ordered a new textile jacket from them yesterday to replace my 12 year old one that leaks like a sieve. I like their customer service and prices. Tyres especially good.

Cheers,

Geoff
    Hey Geoff yup I'm in Hamilton. I'm away on holiday at the moment back in the country next week so will pop in and see them then. The gear I've ordered is from Hamilton Honda. I visited a couple of shops to check out gear and bikes etc and Honda were the only ones to give me the time of day. See how it goes when I get home

Bike
    GSXR1000
    At the end of the day you will see a lot of riders in riding jeans and leather jacket. And most times they'll be fine in the event of an off. But leathers that zip together ultimately give better coverage, both in impact and abrasion.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Buying riding jeans for the look is a bit silly. The main manufacturers selling in NZ (particularly Draggin) have a hilariously outdated view on what the current style is in jeans. They're all cut straight from the 90's, with flapping great legs blowing in the wind, and fabric straight from dad's closet. I haven't seen a pair of riding jeans yet that's a style I would be caught dead wearing.

I own these leather pants, and rate them highly:
    http://motocity.co.nz/clothing-and-g...-leather-pants

I also own these. They're OK, great qquality leather, OK stitching, shitty velcro, pretty meh design:
    http://www.1tonne.co.nz/product/leat...-pants/37/101/

Thread Information