Thread: XR650L any one have a reasonable one for sale

Bike
    Softail Deuce

XR650L any one have a reasonable one for sale

Hey chaps. Happy new year.
    I'm thinking of buying an XR650L, nice one on Trademe at the moment but at 8k too rich for me. A tidy XR500 or XR600 might do the trick as well. I had a BRP 650R a while back and that was a good bike, but I never really bonded with it.
    Would look at other big singles too. DR650 doesn't really spin my wheels. PM me if you might have something. I am willing to spanner a bit on it but don't want a rusty wreck either.
    Im in waikato so it would have to be a great bike to pay shipping from South island...

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    PM sent.............

Bike
    Softail Deuce

Lots of you collectors must still be on holiday

There isn't a lot of bikes collecting dust in the shed that are for sale currently by the look of it. I'm thinking around the 3k mark is my budget, any KTM 400 or XR 500 TT 600 looking for a new place of residence. What about that project you won't get around to for the next 10 years... [ will I get to it... who knows. but bikes need to move around after a few years. its like an art collection some change is good "right"] Two good Ls around but they are above my current browny points credit total at the moment. Not whipped but keeping bikes hidden in the shed and "I have had that one for ages" is clearly a policy that needs careful management.

Bike
    Softail Deuce

01 KTM 400EXC in the collection

Found a tidy KTM 400Exc and am in the process of just giving it a minor birthday. Handles and has plenty of up and go for me. Would still go for an XR project as well if one comes up. The thumper bug is being satisfied again

Bike
    Softail Deuce

Side stand failure replacement options whats strong enough.

Hi team.
    The KTM side stand failed... long story and it becomes a comedy of errors, stand too short bike tipping over, gentle persuasion to alloy shaft to change angle to get up higher, cracked ,,,made a repair and ended up with adjustable height yaay nah then the thin area around the centre bolt cracked [common issue], bugga stand now beyond repair. Okay made one out of 1/2" pipe and its good but then the centre bolt shore off [common issue] ,,, made up a replacement retaining bolt with bush all good ,,,, nah the pipe is just a bit too soft and its too easy to bend
    So what next ,thicker wall pipe or what else can I make a strong side stand from. Any suggestions
    Thanks

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sheddy View Post
    Hi team.
    The KTM side stand failed... long story and it becomes a comedy of errors, stand too short bike tipping over, gentle persuasion to alloy shaft to change angle to get up higher, cracked ,,,made a repair and ended up with adjustable height yaay nah then the thin area around the centre bolt cracked [common issue], bugga stand now beyond repair. Okay made one out of 1/2" pipe and its good but then the centre bolt shore off [common issue] ,,, made up a replacement retaining bolt with bush all good ,,,, nah the pipe is just a bit too soft and its too easy to bend
    So what next ,thicker wall pipe or what else can I make a strong side stand from. Any suggestions
    Thanks
    d16 rebar .

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    d16 rebar .
    Fail. Those tend to self deploy when landing a jump. Can get messy.

I'd be making up a new one with a piece of 4140 steel for the hinge machined to slip into a bit of 4130 tube. Cardwells will sell you the cro-moly tube by the foot & usually have a range of sizes & wall thicknesses in stock. 4130 tube in the same dimensions will be over twice as strong as galv pipe.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    Honda XR 650

Xr650

Quote Originally Posted by sheddy View Post
    Hey chaps. Happy new year.
    I'm thinking of buying an XR650L, nice one on Trademe at the moment but at 8k too rich for me. A tidy XR500 or XR600 might do the trick as well. I had a BRP 650R a while back and that was a good bike, but I never really bonded with it.
    Would look at other big singles too. DR650 doesn't really spin my wheels. PM me if you might have something. I am willing to spanner a bit on it but don't want a rusty wreck either.
    Im in waikato so it would have to be a great bike to pay shipping from South island...
    Hi Sheddy,

I sent you a private message about my XR650.
    Im contemplating selling it but that could change as its been my favourite toy for so long but it just doesn’t get the use someone else would if i parted with it.
    If you didn’t get it just txt me 021741381.
    I have owned it since brand new 2002 15,000km
    100% garaged and in near new order other than normal rub marks.
    If you still keen contact me.
    Cheers
    John

Bike
    Softail Deuce

ktm 950 se sm

Hey team
    Life moves on and bikes come and go. Thanks to those of you who came back to me on the XR650L thread, Im chasing a KTM 950 se or supermoto now. Any heads up on one please let me know. Thanks

Thread Information