Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Nutty season on the roads

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    It's a narrow road at that point, so I was maybe 2 metres from centreline and leaned over when they saw me. It was actually quite funny, wish I had a video of it.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
    Maybe put clothes on next time you ride then.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    It must be the training as I don't believe its taught in the road code. I think the road code actually says keep left unless overtaking which is how I ride and have been riding since 1976 with no mid life crisis stop. Lots of European videos show centre line hugging including riding school videos.
    Oh so it couldn't be just a bad habit they developed themselves then....

Bike
    A Japper
    It must be the training as I don't believe its taught in the road code. I think the road code actually says keep left unless overtaking which is how I ride and have been riding since 1976 with no mid life crisis stop. Lots of European videos show centre line hugging including riding school videos.

Post some links of those riding schools training motorcyclists to ride the centreline.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    So you agree with me then that riding schools should not be teaching it either?
    How do you know what is being trained if you have never been trained?

Bike
    GSXR1000
    So you agree with me then that riding schools should not be teaching it either?
    Edited for...

Got any evidence this is taught?
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 31st January 2017 at 12:14.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Some of us kiwis are DIYers and that includes learning to ride. I remember others on here over a year ago were critical of the practise of centre line hugging on bends also and if I remember correctly it was the IAM riding school that taught this. If you think its a safe practise you are deluded because it makes no allowance for anyone coming the other way slightly over the centre line.
    So you have no idea then.

Also IAM is not a school. HTH

Bike
    A Japper
    I've been teaching this for 18 months now. Nice to read that someone agrees with our approach. Pete
    https://motorbikewriter.com/wide-ent...ex-safest-ro…/

I clicked on that post but it did not come up. Maybe its no longer taught? I interpret "wide entry" to mean centre line hug. Teachning centre line hugging unless prior to an overtake is dumb in my opinion.

So you're teaching motorcycle riding now, and you "interpret" wide entry to mean centreline hug.

Please, if you have any decency stop teaching and stay off the road!!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    The link to the post from the riding school stated they have taught "wide entry" as being the way to corner. I think you are being semantical to not see it as meaning the same thing as a "centre line hug". It means the same thing as far as I am concerned. Look up some videos of Road Craft Nottingham IAM riding school and you will see a lot of examples of centre line hugging on bends. It maybe ok for an experienced rider when they are on a twisty road and can see multiple bends ahead but only then unless preparing to overtake.
    Roadcraft Nottingham is not IAM.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    So wide entry equals centerline hugging? Just "wow". You cant see that entering a left-hand bend, choosing a deliberate turn-in point as far right in your lane as is safe will give you an increased field of vision around the corner of hazards, both on-coming and in your lane, and gives you increased time and space to react. Of course Riding Schools teach this approach. They want their clients to live.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    The link to the post from the riding school stated they have taught "wide entry" as being the way to corner. I think you are being semantical to not see it as meaning the same thing as a "centre line hug". It means the same thing as far as I am concerned. Look up some videos of Road Craft Nottingham IAM riding school and you will see a lot of examples of centre line hugging on bends. It maybe ok for an experienced rider when they are on a twisty road and can see multiple bends ahead but only then unless preparing to overtake.
    Ok I must be missing something here, because I just watched a segment of one of their videos and the rider actually states not to be hugging the line for the left handcorner he's approaching, that the gain of maybe up to a couple metres is not worth it as you put yourself potentially in the path of oncoming traffic.

I've time stamped it from where he says his piece.

https://youtu.be/EBvsaN3Tc9c?t=10m18s

Bike
    A Japper
    I am not a riding school teacher but just gave proof when another poster asked for it that centre line hugging or to use their lingo "Wide Entry" is actually taught in some riding schools. So if the poster that witnessed the centre line hugger coming towards them had called them "cornering widely" they would have been riding correctly in your book?

If you're going to post a quote from someone, put it in quote marks.

P.S., you're an utter egg!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Even if they are separate schools that is not the topic under debate though.
    IAM is not a school.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Its not possible to see around the corner on a lot of bends irrespective of where you position yourself on the road and the further you are to the centre the less time you have to react if shit happens. But dont let me put you off what the riding school teaches. The road code from what I last read says "Keep Left".
    A bit of high school maths would suggest that being further to the right of the lane can considerably increase the line of vision on a bend, giving more time to react if something untoward was to happen, it doesn't mean you need to be riding right on the centreline.

The other aspect of riding wider into a left hand corner is that tightening your line if necessary takes you further into your own lane, whereas if you're on the left of the road and have to avoid something (and on the edge of the road is where something unexpected is more likely to be) then you are widening your line which is sending you in the direction of any oncoming traffic.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Exercycle
    Its not possible to see around the corner on a lot of bends irrespective of where you position yourself on the road and the further you are to the centre the less time you have to react if shit happens. But dont let me put you off what the riding school teaches. The road code from what I last read says "Keep Left".
    For gods sake, stop it. Wide entry is NOT centerline hugging. It's a technique used to make any given corner a wider radius - thus safer.
    I'm assuming you're one of those idiots who doesn't use the full width of his lane....Thus misses out on the safety aspects of positioning to see as far ahead as possible on corner entry. Note I said entry....You are expected to take a line which on a left starting out close to the centerline will bring you out close to the kerb. On a right you'd start out wide to the left of your lane and if vision is clear, come out closer to the centerline.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000

Thread Information