Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Nutty season on the roads

Bike
    gsx250
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    after driving from nelson to invercargill in a van that was burning oil in the rear cylinder and starting to make really bad noises (it did make it home) i will give you my thoughts on pulling over. quite simply put they can get fucked, i knew i was slow on hills so and with all the traffic on the lewis i decided in my wisdom to take the quieter route down the buller and grey valley to stillwater then through to jacksons, once i got on the greymouth chch road i did the whole pull over whenever i could and even waving vehicles through when stopped at one lane bridges, now i was trying to keep momentum up to get good runs at the steeper stuff but fuckwits in their cars who can't fucken drive and braking for corners that they should take easily at over a 100km in a car, now it must be asians ect you may say, but a lot of these vehicles had bike racks full of pushies, the last straw came when coming up to the otira, now i know the old girl was gonna struggle gettin up there so i stopped and let the road clear behind me and had a nice wee gap when i took off and fuck me if i didn't catch up to the useless fuckers and was eventually in 1st gear crawling up the otira in a line of traffic. turns out i should have stayed in front of them and would have had a clear road in front of me.

the other thing that would fuck me off is people not passing when i pulled well to the left with good visibilty for them to pass. i eventually said to the wife that they can get fucked, i stopped worrying about the dicks behind me and therefor my stress levels dropped tremendously.
    I can see where you're coming from. I hate people who overtake and then drive slowly on the corners.

The thing is everyone usually thinks that everyone else is driving badly and don't want to have a look in the mirror. Or they say that they follow the law so its ok.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jafagsx250 View Post
    I hate people who overtake and then drive slowly on the corners.
    I don't tend to be overtaken very often, but I saw a lot of people who brake for every bend in the road, even bends that could be taken at waaay over 100kph. They and their mates who cruise at 70 or 80kph are the cause of a lot of frustration which is potentially dangerous but the cops pay zero attention.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I don't tend to be overtaken very often, but I saw a lot of people who brake for every bend in the road, even bends that could be taken at waaay over 100kph. They and their mates who cruise at 70 or 80kph are the cause of a lot of frustration which could be dangerous but the cops pay zero attention.
    vote akzle

Bike
    gsx250
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I don't tend to be overtaken very often, but I saw a lot of people who brake for every bend in the road, even bends that could be taken at waaay over 100kph. They and their mates who cruise at 70 or 80kph are the cause of a lot of frustration which is potentially dangerous but the cops pay zero attention.
    Well if you're driving a slow car you end up being overtaken a lot.

Even my hyosung overtake most people if I can coax it to go to top speed of 140 haha.

On most of the 55 and 65 corners on state highway 16 you can do 120 on.

The cops will happily ping you for passing a dangerous driver but won't bother the person holding 20 people up.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    You are correct that in all cases I have seen it is a train of vehicles trundling along behind someone doing 80 or so. No dedicated passing lanes on this stretch.

To their credit I have also seen some drivers pulling heavy loads pull aside to allow traffic to pass - obviously people who actually look in their mirrors.

Tell you one thing I have noticed the grass on the roads edge is bloody long presently - to the point where if in a car visibility around a sweeper or the likes is severely reduced.

I also noticed it's a great hiding place for the police lately. Sneaky revenue gathering cunts.
    Fixed it.....

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    mother-fucking-vote-fucken-akzle.

licenses are issued by getting within 10% of a rally driver's time.
    re-sat every 2 years. (and it's free)

reigonal licenses, with huge letters painted on your car "A" for aucklander - not allowed to drive any where else (ever)
    ("T" for other townies - limited to their towns) "W" for woman, not allowed to drive over 80, "O" for old cunt (anyone over 40), just as a courtesy notice,
    "R" for rural driver - basically a permit to drive anywhere.
    Wot about 'C' for curry muncher, coon, chinks and cunts in Volvos and Subarus? All shit drivers.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Wot about 'C' for curry muncher, coon, chinks and cunts in Volvos and Subarus? All shit drivers.
    having driven both volvo and subaru in the last month

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Interesting statistic in the paper today. The tourists most frequently involved in accidents here are Australians. Apparently there are more of them on the road.
    Guess we don't notice them 'cause they don't look much different to most of us, nor do they fly Australian flags. Maybe they should?

I don't recall ever driving a Volvo and I haven't driven a Subaru since yesterday. I wouldn't mind driving Guy Martin's Volvo though.
    http://www.driving.co.uk/news/guy-ma...ar-in-britain/
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    people not passing when i pulled well to the left with good visibilty for them to pass.
    I will often not pass (in the car) when slow vehicles do as you did because I can't see in front of the said slow vehicle. I've been forced in to the opposing lane because the slow vehicle had to pull back as the road verge narrowed.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by jafagsx250 View Post
    I can see where you're coming from. I hate people who overtake and then drive slowly on the corners.
    I keep an eye on anyone I pass and make sure that I'm faster than they are. If not, I let them back in front at the first safe opportunity.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I found the driving in India interesting, once you get used to tractors/trucks coming at you on your side of a divided dual carriageway ( quaint Victorian term) its all good.

I'm bored with my 2.5 Turbo Subaru now gew to Awkland traffic.....the Vespa PX200 is way more fun.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    My hate is people pulling over into the berm and spraying you with gravel and dust expecting you to pass, also people encouraging you to pass by waving, indicating when the road ahead is poor viz, ...nope!, i'll pass on my terms and that's only when I can see it's safe to do so to the conditions ahead, and behind (always watching for that arse who decide to overtake you as you are about to pull out even though you have indicated well ahead).

When riding after a pass maneuver I generally stick to the left of the road so any others passing have room to safely pull in should anything go pear shaped, it's called courtesy.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I'm bored with my 2.5 Turbo Subaru now gew to Awkland traffic.....the Vespa PX200 is way more fun.
    Yeah, in town it's hard to beat a scooter for getting about. I see that Mat Oxley, former GP rider, IoM TT winner and lap record holder and moto journo rides a Yamaha 400 scooter.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    ...the Vespa PX200 is way more fun.
    I know someone whose only transport is a PX200...

Enrico Piaggio and Corradino D'Ascanio have much to answer for!

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    How safely a vehicle can take bends does depend on the vehicle as well as the driver. I have read that most single bike crashes occur on bends so not all bikes are designed to handle bends at high speed either.
    I'd argue that most bikes could out corner their riders, ie stick a top level racer on most riders bikes and they would take that bike to limits not seen by a road rider. So therefore rather than being the fault of the design of the machine it would be solely in the riders control, or lack thereof.

Thread Information