Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Nutty season on the roads

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    How safely a vehicle can take bends does depend on the vehicle as well as the driver. I have read that most single bike crashes occur on bends so not all bikes are designed to handle bends at high speed either.
    All bikes are designed to be steered around corners/BENDS.
    Rider ability and the speed the bike is tavelling at become deciding factors in which rider and bike combination gets around a particular corner.
    Most motorcycle crashes occur at the end of straight bits!
    Nit picking? NO.; Theres a difference.
    Almost all motorcycle riders wish to get to their destination, to that end they learn how to steer their machines.
    Some simply travel so fast that like someone else here on KB they actually don'[t have time to do anything except ,close their eyes and become a passenger on their own aimed missile, never even attempting to get their motorcycle around the bend at the end.
    Others misjudge a tightening corner so badly they still effectively ride a straight flight missile.
    Yet others crash because they literally have no experience of laying thier motorcycle down a bit further and turning thier throttle a bit further around to bring them around the bend they have entered into too fast, this works best if they have kept an eye on their corners vanishing point, If they even know what that is and have a clue as to which way the corner goes and how tight it becomes.
    Options, great things.
    Option 1. Don't outride your known skill level. You won't go straight off the end of a straight bit of road when the bend comes.
    Option 2. Go to courses to learn how firstly how to safely ride a motorcycle and of course to corner, what to look for and how to actually get into them AND out of them safely.
    Theres at least 2.
    Have you done either of those?"
    I'm still learning about what my bike and I can do, where it can be done and how safe some things are or arnt, I challenge you to do the same.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Yo momma
    How safely a vehicle can take bends does depend on the vehicle as well as the driver. I have read that most single bike crashes occur on bends so not all bikes are designed to handle bends at high speed either.
    I thought you said most bike crashed occur in group rides.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    And in dog exercise areas.....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    I was out for a ride a few days ago and had 3 cars pull over to let me pass! Maybe I was following a bit close once, but that's still some kind of record.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    I'd argue that most bikes could out corner their riders, ie stick a top level racer on most riders bikes and they would take that bike to limits not seen by a road rider. So therefore rather than being the fault of the design of the machine it would be solely in the riders control, or lack thereof.
    Was in at Star Auctions a while back looking at bike for a mate and observed that most of the bikes there were large capacity modern bikes.
    Bloke pointed out the most were " no other vehicle' crashes. He pondered that riders should put more faith in tyres instead of hitting the brakes.
    From my limited experience with classic racing you need to be set up entering the corner with all your braking done, then feed the throttle on asap. ( seems to work on shaft drive BMW's)
    Braking mid corner or throttling off unsettles the bike.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    And in dog exercise areas.....
    well that just cleared something up, i now know why he/she is so against IAMs, its the dog food associated with dog exercise areas

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    well that just cleared something up, i now know why he/she is so against IAMs, its the dog food associated with dog exercise areas
    Might just be against that "foot in mouth" flavor...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I'm trying to think of a modern bike that will not safely corner at either within the legal speed limit posted or the recommended corner speed posted.

There is the good old NZ anomaly that needs excluding in my above sentence, we have areas of hilly tight corners that are technically still designated open road 100km areas despite the reality being significantly less.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    The other people who replied to your comment have been rational and considered in what they said. All I can ask is that you re-read your initial post and reflect on how it reinforces KBs opinion of you.
    Yes, a custom chopper with raked forks may be a cornering nightmare,but bikes are designed to corner. Rider error is the reason you are looking for.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Putting cassina to one side like a pile of sreaming dog shit that shouldnt be trod in,

I am interested at the number of people that you see coming towards you, someone is slowing or indicating they are pulling over in their lane and the person behind them feels entitled to move into your lane.....coming straight at you....so they can get around the slowing vehicle. Disconcerting at 50kmh.......fucking scary at 100kmh

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    . Rider error is the reason you are looking for.
    what??? that's not an option!

it's either "pressure to keep up", or "things happening too fast to do anything about", but mostly for our dear cassey, it's luck. because the rider is so perfect it needs no training.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Tell ya what shits me: people who can't maintain road speed,or do 80 in a 100,speed up in pass lanes n slow again after, dirty looks / horn blasts when i pass them.
    It seems like if you overtake now you're a maniac ?
    Sunday I had a great ride apart from from some asian fuck who blasted his horn in his new Rav cos I passed him. I figured if I stop I'll get locked up, cos it'll end that way.
    I had a coffee and cigar instead !

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    A couple of times in the past I have seen a magazine headline and thought, "This'll be crap." Subsequently though I've been pleasantly surprised. One such was entitled something like "Things you didn't know when you bought a motorcycle." It mentioned how you didn't know that sometimes you'd be accosted by misty eyed old geezers who wanted to chat about the bikes they used to own. That does happen.

More relevantly though it went into detail about how you'd become a raving nutter when driving a car. Riding a bike requires a higher level of situational awareness than driving a car and this doesn't (or shouldn't) switch off when you get behind the wheel. This often leads motorcyclists when driving to give vent to their feelings at the silly/dangerous things they see. Their passengers are probably more concerned at the rant than the driving because they don't notice the latter.

I was actually pleased to read that it's a common thing because I'm certainly guilty.

Nick Ienatch in his "Sport Riding Techniques" talks about single vehicle bike accidents. I can't look it up, I have loaned the book out, but in the USA it's common to see a bend with a skidmark going straight ahead. The rider evidently decides they can't make the corner so they sit the bike up and grab the brakes. In most cases had they made a serious effort they could have made the turn. It's possible that this phenomenon is not unique to the USA?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    Putting cassina to one side like a pile of sreaming dog shit that shouldnt be trod in,

I am interested at the number of people that you see coming towards you, someone is slowing or indicating they are pulling over in their lane and the person behind them feels entitled to move into your lane.....coming straight at you....so they can get around the slowing vehicle. Disconcerting at 50kmh.......fucking scary at 100kmh
    I'd say a daily occurrence... drive anywhere in Auckland and you'll see it... anything from micro-cars to trucks and buses... just too bloody selfish... just too entitled... just so arrogant...

Plus those who turn left from the "middle of the road" - too scared to move over into a bus lane to turn left, even when it's not operating as a bus lane, even though the council has spent quite some money on marking the bus lanes so you know when there's 50 metres to the junction...

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Tell ya what shits me: people who can't maintain road speed,or do 80 in a 100,speed up in pass lanes n slow again after, dirty looks / horn blasts when i pass them.
    It seems like if you overtake now you're a maniac ?
    Sunday I had a great ride apart from from some asian fuck who blasted his horn in his new Rav cos I passed him. I figured if I stop I'll get locked up, cos it'll end that way.
    I had a coffee and cigar instead !
    There are times when I'm quite happy to do 80 to 90 in the car on the open road - haven't been that way for a while and want to have a "gaze-about" - but I do keep a very close watch on the mirrors and pull over to let others get on with their journey. Nice when a biker overtakes and acknowledges that you've moved over for them...

Thread Information