Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nutty season on the roads

Bike
    Kawasaki H2A 1973
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Okay I'll bite (bearing in mind I've never ridden that road - so all figures are pulled from rectum)

Rossi, perfect day, MotoGP bike: 150 kph?
    A bit faster maybe
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 11th January 2017 at 15:56.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by MVnut View Post
    Completely agree with the one armed man.

Let's take an example, a well known corner for those who ride to Akaroa. The 55k posted turn taken as a left hander outside the Blue Duck, ie heading back toward Tai Tapu from Little River. This as you know has a 55k advisory sign.....in your opinions (and please disregard any legal speed limit) what would be the highest speed to negotiate this left hander? Have some margin for error here if you wish. ..if it were a one lane racetrack, what do you think a top racer on a well prepared 1000cc production bike on road tyres could take the turn at?

My bet is that if you both answer, the 'numbers' will be very different.

I am not suggesting you should do this in practice, just your thoughts please ( so plod won't come knocking)
    What !!! no response from anybody ???.......should I suggest some 'numbers' ?
    Whoops missed this. That particular corner I know well, I can comfortably take it at around 135km/h (indicated apex speed), I guess a top racer on a sorted production bike on road tyres could probably do another 30+/-km/h.
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 11th January 2017 at 16:02.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by KawasakiKid View Post
    A bit faster maybe
    Well, I did say figures were pulled from my arse!
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    There was an article in the AA magazine where a tow truck driver was interviewed and he said most single motorcycle crashes were on bends.
    Well fuck me, was the name on the side of his truck "Captain Obvious towing"?

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Some muppets on this site will no doubt try and achieve the above 55km/hr speeds stated by those in the above posts and if there are any reported crashes on that bend in the next few weeks we will know they were readers of the above posts.
    Case closed.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Well fuck me, was the name on the side of his truck "Captain Obvious towing"?
    Hahaha, yup I'm doubting there's not too many call out for single motorcycle crashes on the straights.

Bike
    MVs & Ducatis
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Whoops missed this. That particular corner I know well, I can comfortably take it at around 135km/h (indicated apex speed), I guess a top racer on a sorted production bike on road tyres could probably do another 30+/-km/h.
    Thanks OAB

Firstly, apologies....I have a friend staying and I posted under his login by mistake. Now rectified.

Anyway, my point was that the posted advisory limits can be way off the mark for 'safe' speed in a turn. The Blue Duck corner is indeed easy at 135 as OAB states. In fact 175 is comfortable on the right bike.

An average rider may be shitting bricks at 120.....Rossi may top 200.....Cassina may get off and push ??

We each ride our own road, best thing is forever gathering knowledge and skill. One man's limit is another man's beginning. Ride safe

Bike
    MVs & Ducatis
    Some muppets on this site will no doubt try and achieve the above 55km/hr speeds stated by those in the above posts and if there are any reported crashes on that bend in the next few weeks we will know they were readers of the above posts.
    I did state this was not a test to see how fast people can go. I would never suggest that. So don't think of accusing me or others in that regard. The road is not a racetrack, but most of us go faster than the law allows on occasion. Use common sense please (probably still some available at the corner dairy)

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries

... "achieve"

jesus fucking christ on a tricycle.[/LIST]

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries

... "achieve"

jesus fucking christ on a tricycle.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Thanks OAB

Firstly, apologies....I have a friend staying and I posted under his login by mistake. Now rectified.

Anyway, my point was that the posted advisory limits can be way off the mark for 'safe' speed in a turn. The Blue Duck corner is indeed easy at 135 as OAB states. In fact 175 is comfortable on the right bike.

An average rider may be shitting bricks at 120.....Rossi may top 200.....Cassina may get off and push ??

We each ride our own road, best thing is forever gathering knowledge and skill. One man's limit is another man's beginning. Ride safe
    175 you say? I'll head out shortly and see if I can achieve that. Nah the fastest I recall hitting through there was a nudge over 150, fast enough for me.

Bike
    MVs & Ducatis
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    175 you say? I'll head out shortly and see if I can achieve that. Nah the fastest I recall hitting through there was a nudge over 150, fast enough for me.
    Well I have no hesitation saying you are one of the best riders I've ridden with, and I have no doubt you could corner every bit as fast as me. It's all about what limits we set ourselves at any given time. My point was really about the absurd comments made by Cassina, suggesting the advisory limits should be adhered to for all our safety.

Cassina is not helping anyone with his/her comments. Perhaps motorcycling is too dangerous after all. Remember, motorcycles are inherently dangerous, that is part of the appeal. Not buckled inside a cage away from the world.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    On that particular corner I'm happy with button off a bit from 100ish on the straight, just to have a wee look for tourists or sunday drivers ambling out of the car park, then carry on at more or less the legal limit.

Then again, I ride like a nana, and I know my bike can go round corners much faster than me as it has been demonstrated by much better riders than me several times.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Well I have no hesitation saying you are one of the best riders I've ridden with, and I have no doubt you could corner every bit as fast as me. It's all about what limits we set ourselves at any given time. My point was really about the absurd comments made by Cassina, suggesting the advisory limits should be adhered to for all our safety.

Cassina is not helping anyone with his/her comments. Perhaps motorcycling is too dangerous after all. Remember, motorcycles are inherently dangerous, that is part of the appeal. Not buckled inside a cage away from the world.
    Big praise coming from you thanks mate. But I'll leave the fast stuff to you guys with much more ability and experience than me.

We shouldn't really respond to cassina, it only encourages him/her. But a lot of its comments just can't go unchecked.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Funny corner that. Heading to Akaroa, going right, I struggle to get to 120-125kph. However coming back into the left hander I am quite comfortable at 130-135. The issue can be people coming out of the Cafe or Gebbies. Cassina, if you went around that corner at 55kph, you would be impeding elderly tourists in camper vans!

Thread Information