Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rodeos

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex

Rodeos

So is it time to ban rodeos or is Nathan Guy correct in believing they're a part of New Zealand's culture?

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    So is it time to ban rodeos or is Nathan Guy correct in believing they're a part of New Zealand's culture?
    Ban them in my humble opinion.

[Edit]

I'll expand on that. Any person who gets enjoyment or feels excited at seeing an animal tormented, frightened and abused is no friend of mine.
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 1st February 2017 at 12:36.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Given the quote below from "The New Zealand Rodeo Cowboys Association" below, I'm not seeing much connection with New Zealand culture.

Quote Originally Posted by RodeoNZ
    SADDLE BRONC
    The event that started rodeo, it originated from the necessary job of breaking in and training horses to be used in ranches, in the days of the Wild West.
    I would have thought that dog trialing or tackling deer from a helicopter would be more appropriate, or maybe taking a week to herd 5000 sheep down a high country valley. I don't see roping calves and dragging them off their feet by their necks as particularly necessary, or poking animals with cattle prods because they're not animated enough to put on a good show, cruelty to animals for the entertainment of humans seems a bit archaic in the modern world really.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I've never been to one but living on the rural rump I'm aware they have them near here. It could be said that the events are based on skills required on farms but I think these days machinery has almost completely replaced horses so any real relevance is long gone.

When the synthetic fuel plant was being built (sadly long since cut up for scrap) a new Safety Officer arrived from the USA. The following Monday he turned up to work with his arm in a sling. In answer to my question he told me he'd been injured in the bull riding event at the local rodeo. I wouldn't have been the only one who wondered if this was not incongruous.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I'm of the opinion that anyone who gains enjoyment from watching the antics of a terrified animal is a blight of humanity.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    I'm of the opinion that anyone who gains enjoyment from watching the antics of a terrified animal is a blight of humanity.
    What is your take on Nature documentaries then?
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    What is your take on Nature documentaries then?
    If you're asking about animals being killed by other animals higher up in the food chain then my answer would be, I don't get any enjoyment from watching it but I do understand how Nature works.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    If you're asking about animals being killed by other animals higher up in the food chain then my answer would be, I don't get any enjoyment from watching it but I do understand how Nature works.
    Not quite - I'm thinking more along the lines of capture/release of animals as part of a Documentary. Granted there are degrees within this from Sir David Attenborough letting something crawl on him (relatively benign) - to people dragging snakes out of burrows by their tails etc. or crocodile wrestling (which comes close to what you describe).

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Not quite - I'm thinking more along the lines of capture/release of animals as part of a Documentary. Granted there are degrees within this from Sir David Attenborough letting something crawl on him (relatively benign) - to people dragging snakes out of burrows by their tails etc. or crocodile wrestling (which comes close to what you describe).
    Why should an animal need to be captured and released as part of a documentary?

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Agree completely. Rodeos are gay.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Been to a couple over the years.

Last about three years back down south. Mostly a entertaining day with no visible intent to injure. Having said that the animals had been raised to buck and jump so who knows what goes on behind farm gates to them.

One horse had clearly had enough - promptly dumped the rider, crashed through the fencing and tore around the panicked crowd until it literally headed for the hills.

Interesting question, and I'd really need to do more research to consider a outright ban.

In the meantime can we concentrate on getting rid of those skinheads who think they look tough dragging around their bulldogs and the likes. Leave the dogs - just get rid of the owners.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Why should an animal need to be captured and released as part of a documentary?
    Makes for exciting and compelling viewing? Some animals are elusive? I don't know - I'm not a documentary maker - suffice to say though, it happens.

Also - what is your thoughts on capture and release for scientific purposes?

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Interesting question, and I'd really need to do more research to consider a outright ban.
    At the risk of being accused of youtubing, I'll just say that there's certainly no shortage of videos out there to help you with your research.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Also - what is your thoughts on capture and release for scientific purposes?
    Do you understand the difference being 'scientific purposes' and 'entertainment'?

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Do you understand the difference being 'scientific purposes' and 'entertainment'?
    Yes.

Do you understand why I asked the question?

Also - Already with the Red Rep - you remember you were having a whinge and a cry about how persecuted you were, and how it was everyone else that picks on you....... You may want to think about that....

Thread Information