Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Nutty season on the roads

Bike
    MVs & Ducatis
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Big praise coming from you thanks mate. But I'll leave the fast stuff to you guys with much more ability and experience than me.

We shouldn't really respond to cassina, it only encourages him/her. But a lot of its comments just can't go unchecked.

....anyway I'm back from the dead and back in NZ for another month or two. We must catch up for a beer............Beer, I'll just check with the medics, mine may have to be orange juice, but will have beer in the fridge for you

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by MVnut View Post
    ....anyway I'm back from the dead and back in NZ for another month or two. We must catch up for a beer............Beer, I'll just check with the medics, mine may have to be orange juice, but will have beer in the fridge for you
    Definitely, let me know when works for you mate. Be keen to catch up.

Bike
    Kawasaki H2A 1973
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I bet you ride under pressure to keep up too when you are on a group ride
    Why do you insist these limits would be correct.
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 11th January 2017 at 21:27.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    For Christ sake sport I gave an example of a poster on here who came to grief by not taking notice of the signs. The greater the speed you get up to above whats on the sign the greater the chance you will come to grief otherwise they would either have no signs or put a much higher speed rating on them than they do. I bet you ride under pressure to keep up too when you are on a group ride.
    And there it is.....
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    MVs & Ducatis
    For some reason, my laptop keeps logging me out and as my friend is also logged in, I post under his name. Will watch that in future.

Anyway back on topic. No Cassina I never stress out about keeping up when riding with others. Why would you even suggest that, you don't know me.

Having said that I have witnessed a LOT of shit riding in larger group rides.....mainly rides organised via Kiwibiker.

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Okay I'll bite (bearing in mind I've never ridden that road - so all figures are pulled from rectum)

Rossi, perfect day, MotoGP bike: 150 kph?
    Could depend on whether hes leading or under pressure trying to keep up with his mates (other riders maybe don't think Marquez is a mate)

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    The yellow speed advisory signs are just that, an advisory for conditions being at there worst. This is why they are not black.
    Although officially only advisory ... crashing on a bend at speeds over that "Advisory" limit will go against you if the matter gets to court. As will previous
    actions and speeds by you that seen and reported by witnesses to police.

There are strict control procedures laid down to set the "Advised" speed limit on bends. Worst case scenarios are nothing to do with it.

Google it and learn ...

By the way .. speed limit signs are red and white ... with advisory ones yellow. The numerals on both are black. I suggest you need training on a few things yourself.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    The [sic: more you exceed the advised speed] on the sign, the greater the chance you will come to grief otherwise they would either have no signs or put a much higher speed rating on them than they do.
    That's kinda true, but there is a bigger chance of a rider accident when they're going too fast into a 25/35 corner than a 55/65 corner. Bikes can usually take most corners faster than cars because they're narrower. The rider's skill (or lack of it) can make a difference as well. A bigger threat can be the skill of cagers who go wide on narrow bends.

Bike
    gsx250
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Well, we know where Cassina fits.

There is an exception that springs to mind, the really slow ones indicating 25kph or less do tend to mean what they say.

I have seen comments on KB by people claiming to do double the posted speed, I don't think I could actually do that, and if I did try I'd be much too busy to look at the bloody speedo. Your suggestion of reading them as mph is conservative and safely achievable by any competent rider. After taking into account the above-noted proviso of course.
    Well I can usually go up state highway 16 to wellsford at 120 around the 55 65 km per hour corners.

I feel that is a safe speed if it's a good sunny day with good road conditions. There's a 35 corner that I slow down to to around 60 or so. But coming back to Auckland there I'd usually gravel on the road so I slow right down.

Is this silly speeds. Probably. But me being silly in the bends has gotten me into less trouble than other people's silliness in the city. Far too many people are not terribly aware of what's going on. And far too many people on phones.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Mine
    The greater the speed you get up to above whats on the sign the greater the chance you will come to grief otherwise they would either have no signs or put a much higher speed rating on them than they do.
    Assuming the above is true (big assumption) - the same risk assessment could be applied to life as a whole. Fuck, life is dangerous so why do we bother? Let's all just rid ourselves of it. Afterall, you can't have an accident if you're dead - problem solved!

You really do have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Even I'm on the verge of throwing my hands in the air and admitting defeat (but not quite yet). That's quite an acheivement. You're the first halfwit on here to get me to that point in the decade that I've been on this site.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    There are strict control procedures laid down to set the "Advised" speed limit on bends. Worst case scenarios are nothing to do with it.
    The online road code defines "Curve Warning Signs" as showing a "safe and comfortable speed to drive at around the curve". For this to be true for every vehicle/driver combination that takes a given bend then this speed by definition must be "safe and comfortable" for the worst vehicle/driver/conditions combination that will ever arise. If they are set contrary to that then they are no more useful than tits on a bull.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    And there it is.....
    it's hard to play any other tune when your piano only has two strings...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    . You're the first halfwit on here to get me to that point in the decade that I've been on this site.
    you credit him with a whole half?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    The online road code defines "Curve Warning Signs" as showing a "safe and comfortable speed to drive at around the curve". For this to be true for every vehicle/driver combination that takes a given bend then this speed by definition must be "safe and comfortable" for the worst vehicle/driver/conditions combination that will ever arise. If they are set contrary to that then they are no more useful than tits on a bull.
    Is that your best guess too ... ?????

Interesting reading here ... you might learn something.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...blication_list
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    as taught in riding schools.
    and how the fuck would you know this having never ever been to one? your WOF guy tell ya?

Thread Information