Thread: Connecting the clutch cable

Bike
    yamaha srv250 1992

Connecting the clutch cable

Hey guys, my clutch cable isn't connected to the engine at the moment and it doesn't seem to reach. I've loosened it at the clutch lever and at the adjustment nut but it is still short by a inch or so. the lever that it attaches to doesn't seem to be able to move to meet it. any ideas? i thought i might have to take the clip off the little lever and connect it first then reattach it or maybe there could be a problem in the crank case? Ill post pictures so you can all tell me how much of an idiot i am for not seeing the obvious answer haha. thanks for any ideas guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170106_102926.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	787.4 KB 
ID:	327641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170106_102942.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	687.2 KB 
ID:	327642  

Bike
    Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by lukefrompalmy View Post
    Hey guys, my clutch cable isn't connected to the engine at the moment and it doesn't seem to reach. I've loosened it at the clutch lever and at the adjustment nut but it is still short by a inch or so. the lever that it attaches to doesn't seem to be able to move to meet it. any ideas? i thought i might have to take the clip off the little lever and connect it first then reattach it or maybe there could be a problem in the crank case? Ill post pictures so you can all tell me how much of an idiot i am for not seeing the obvious answer haha. thanks for any ideas guys.
    Try taking the cable off the clutch level end and connect to the motor first. I'm no expert

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Some background would be nice - did you come back to your bike one day and find the clutch cable had deteached itself? Or are you rebuilding the motor? Is it a new clutch cable?

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Some background would be nice - did you come back to your bike one day and find the clutch cable had deteached itself? Or are you rebuilding the motor? Is it a new clutch cable?
    What he said........

And also have you somehow managed to route it differently from where it is supposed to go, ie: around something instead of between something?

I'd connect at the clutch end first, then check the routing of the cable, then connect at the lever end. when connecting the lever end take the lever out from its pivot housing and reinstall from there.

My gut feeling if it is the original cable it has been routed incorrectly. If it is a new one it might be wrong one, and you will need to check it for length beside the old one, and then go from there. If it came off the bike in the first place, it will go back on......

Bike
    Various things
    As has already been said by the others mate. Can you maybe give us a pic of the state of things at the handle bar end? For it to be that far short, there's something drastically wrong. Clutch actuation arm at the cases looks to be in the right spot. But you def want to be fitting the bar end last.

Thread Information