Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: i might have to smash my mig with a big hammer

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Stop all this sexy welder talk.... just talked myself out of it awhile ago, my shed is only good for 10 amps on power supply end.... which rules out lof good welders....
    Anyhiow found a local guy who does perk jobs very well at nice prices
    You'd be lucky to run a 'cheap' mig welder on 10 amps for long enough to lay down a few tacks.

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    You'd be lucky to run a 'cheap' mig welder on 10 amps for long enough to lay down a few tacks.
    At work we run mig welders , a 275 amp and three 250 amp welders on 32 amp single phase power.
    We also run a 175 amp lincoln mig welder on 10 amp single phase power (with extension cords mostly) no problem.
    My last job we had a 195 amp single phase mig welder running on 10 amp supply, also no problem. All these welders running Argoshield gas.
    If you're running gas less with flux core wire, you can run less amps.
    flashg

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    3 phase PTO.
    smooth as fuck and you don't even need welding rods, just clamp some fucking d16 rebar in the cunt and melt it.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So how can you tell if the tip is worn out? Its original. Actually Ihave 3 phase. But iI'll never get the practice to be any good. Love it for just being able to glue bits together. Decent welds go to a professional. I got a mate to give me a lesson. He sneered at the gassless. Then proceeded to surprise himself with a passable weld on 3mm plate. I managed to make a bird less constipated.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    So how can you tell if the tip is worn out? Its original.
    Wire-feed problems and welds like bird shit. They sell them in packs of 5 or 10 for a reason.

Bike
    If the tip is badly worn, the wire will be rather loose passing through and "contact" between wire and tip can be poor causing an inconsistent weld.
    Sometimes when a tip has seen a lot of heat over time, the hole can close a little causing a strangling effect on the wire, causing wire feed problems as described.
    Remove tip and drill with a number drill as close as possible to correct wire size. Or buy a new tip. They're cheap enough if you can find one for a no name brand.
    Hope this helps.
    flashg

Bike
    For those that weld, are self taught or/and have no proper training.
    Please keep your skin covered at all times while welding.
    The light is infared and ultraviolet and causes skin cancer. You will get sunburnt from it, but you won't tan.
    We wear protection when we ride.
    Wear protection when you weld.
    You'll be so glad you did in the long run.
    flashg

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    So how can you tell if the tip is worn out? Its original. Actually Ihave 3 phase. But iI'll never get the practice to be any good. Love it for just being able to glue bits together. Decent welds go to a professional. I got a mate to give me a lesson. He sneered at the gassless. Then proceeded to surprise himself with a passable weld on 3mm plate. I managed to make a bird less constipated.
    has 3 phase. doesn't do it.
    =woofter.

any cunt can weld 3 phase.

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Stop all this sexy welder talk.... just talked myself out of it awhile ago, my shed is only good for 10 amps on power supply end.... which rules out lof good welders....
    Anyhiow found a local guy who does perk jobs very well at nice prices
    Take a look at Inverter welders. I bought one a few years ago before I upgraded my garage. I ran it on a 10amp breaker. Admittedly I don't ever weld anything bigger than 3mm plate and the majority is stop start sheet metal work. They have a much better power factor and they don't draw so much current on startup as a transformer welder.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Yo momma
    So how can you tell if the tip is worn out? Its original. .
    Put in a new one and see if it welds better...DUH.

You can get reasonable results with a gas less unit. All it takes is a correctly set up machine and practice.
    The initial cost of a (say) Hobart with a gauge and bottle might seam high but if you use it for more than the occasional weld it soon pays for itself as the solid wire is way cheaper than flux cored. I used to pay around $15 for a 2lb roll of flux core, I now pay around $12 for a 11lb roll of solid er70s. A gas refill (5 ft high bottle) is around $40 and lasts for ages.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG950276 (2).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	327731  

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Tip hole is loose as. OK Ive learnt summit. Cheers.

Gas companies have it sewn up tight here with exchange only bottles and yearly contracts bit like phone plans. Hobbiests are screwed, which leaves those disposable cans. Meh, don't use it enough to justify. I'd upgrade my lathe first.

Just need to find some liner. I've coiled the first half of the conductive cable so I'll run the liner section 1\2 the std length in straight as possible line. Long cord was always a pain and causes more wire drag. Only have to reach my vice.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    TF125
    Gas companies have it sewn up tight here with exchange only bottles and yearly contracts bit like phone plans. Hobbiests are screwed, which leaves those disposable cans.
    Not quite.

Ezi-Swap cylinders have no monthly rental and you only pay when you swap for a full cylinder, just like LPG at most servos these days. Initial outlay is a few hundy but the cylinder's yours to sell and there's no fixed contracts.

Most decent inverter MIG machines run okay on Co2, except down real low on panel steel. Get Co2 cylinders filled at fire extinguisher joints for around $50.00. The disposable bottles are shit, maybe use for Argon but fuck that for mixed gas.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Ezi-Swap cylinders
    That's Global Welding Supplies, locally...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    That's Global Welding Supplies, locally...
    Is Colin still a surly cunt?

Bike
    husaberg
    Tip hole is loose as. OK Ive learnt summit. Cheers.

Gas companies have it sewn up tight here with exchange only bottles and yearly contracts bit like phone plans. Hobbiests are screwed, which leaves those disposable cans. Meh, don't use it enough to justify. I'd upgrade my lathe first.
    My father who is only an occasional mig welder still uses a Soda Stream gas bottle. Not that cheap filling, but no plans or expiry dates to worry about.
    $12.99 for 30 litre refill.
    205gms
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information