Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: New to me bike :)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    27th April 2009 - 22:24
    Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    Location
    Manurewa
    Posts
    380

    New to me bike :)

    I have just recently switched from the BMW 1150RT to the BMW F800ST as I was finding the weight of the RT an issue for everyday use however if you want to do big k rides these are one of the best for both rider & pillion.

    My first impressions of the F800 are that it lacks weather protection which may be an issue later in the year. There are options for larger screens which may have to be investigated. I have risers on & it has a comfortable riding position & very good seat. Is fairly relaxed at 100Km, not as much as the RT, the lighter weight means you cant just crush the bumps in the road but makes for increased fun factor in the tight stuff. The engine has a good power spread with a quite close ratio box. Not the most powerful bike out there but capable enough. Could do with a different muffler, factory is too big & doesnt sound that great. I got one without the full computer & think I may regret that. Missing the fuel gauge & gear indicator. Am liking being able to push it around without breaking a sweat. Definitely a better bike in traffic as the gearing & engine work better when traffic speed is fluctuating than the RT did. RT has this really annoying space between 80 & 90ish where it is too slow for 6th but vibration is bad in 5th. Will report again after a 2up long ride as to pillion comfort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000650 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	333.2 KB 
ID:	327690  
    SIGN HERE X

    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    It's like watching a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    What a soft cock, who wears pants when posting on facebook?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    22nd June 2005 - 13:13
    Bike
    2001 Goldwing GL1500SE
    Location
    Otorohanga
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by skinman View Post
    I have just recently switched from the BMW 1150RT to the BMW F800ST as I was finding the weight of the RT an issue for everyday use however if you want to do big k rides these are one of the best for both rider & pillion.

    My first impressions of the F800 are that it lacks weather protection which may be an issue later in the year. There are options for larger screens which may have to be investigated. I have risers on & it has a comfortable riding position & very good seat. Is fairly relaxed at 100Km, not as much as the RT, the lighter weight means you cant just crush the bumps in the road but makes for increased fun factor in the tight stuff. The engine has a good power spread with a quite close ratio box. Not the most powerful bike out there but capable enough. Could do with a different muffler, factory is too big & doesnt sound that great. I got one without the full computer & think I may regret that. Missing the fuel gauge & gear indicator. Am liking being able to push it around without breaking a sweat. Definitely a better bike in traffic as the gearing & engine work better when traffic speed is fluctuating than the RT did. RT has this really annoying space between 80 & 90ish where it is too slow for 6th but vibration is bad in 5th. Will report again after a 2up long ride as to pillion comfort.
    Sell the F800, buy another 1150RT and a cheap 250 to commute. Problem solved Paul. No charge 😀

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    8th January 2005 - 15:05
    Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Location
    New Plymouth
    Posts
    8,298
    Blog Entries
    1
    Enjoy. BMW must love you.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

  4. #4
    Join Date
    25th January 2008 - 17:56
    Bike
    1981 XV 1000cc Yamaha, 2009 BanditYeass!
    Location
    Dorkland
    Posts
    3,724
    Quote Originally Posted by FLUB View Post
    Sell the F800, buy another 1150RT and a cheap 250 to commute. Problem solved Paul. No charge 😀

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    LOL, hey guys, Yeah butt yer Bi Assed Flubby!
    Paul, that ol RT was a goodun, no question, solve all of your problems , buy a Bandy, just finsihed 2380K's in the last 9 days, no sore Ass, Wifeys M50 did the same K's, we had a ball.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

  5. #5
    Join Date
    27th April 2009 - 22:24
    Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    Location
    Manurewa
    Posts
    380
    yea, cant complain about the RT but it was only a matter of time before something expensive broke. If it was easier to push around it would have been perfect just too unwieldy for me. If I was going to have 2 bikes would probably have a wing & something else for when just me. Really wanted to stay away from chain drive, gets to be a drag when doing 300k a week all weather.

    The report from the pillion was that the seat wasnt bad but pegs a bit high to be ideal, no buffeting but lots of wind noise & she doesnt like if I accelerate too hard oops my bad
    SIGN HERE X

    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    It's like watching a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    What a soft cock, who wears pants when posting on facebook?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    27th April 2009 - 22:24
    Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    Location
    Manurewa
    Posts
    380
    well the decision is made that I really like cruisers so the F800 is to be replaced with a Motto Guzzi V9 roamer
    I had got the BMW up to 56000 ks & just havent really taken to it although there is nothing really wrong with the bike so when the new one arrives I will put up pics
    new bike came out of the crate 2 days ago, have to say I am really looking forward to this one.
    SIGN HERE X

    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    It's like watching a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    What a soft cock, who wears pants when posting on facebook?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    24th November 2015 - 11:20
    Bike
    Moto Guzzi V7
    Location
    Blenheim
    Posts
    202
    Ooh yes. Please put some pictures up when you get it.

    I'm rather taken with my V7 Stornello and I reckon the V9s are good little machines too (Ok - Not so little but they are manageable!)
    Navy Boy

  8. #8
    Join Date
    25th January 2008 - 17:56
    Bike
    1981 XV 1000cc Yamaha, 2009 BanditYeass!
    Location
    Dorkland
    Posts
    3,724
    Yep me ol mate Pic's or it aint happened yet. Took a 2015 Guzzi California with just 3 K on the clock for a ride not so long ago. It did everything I wanted, but my right knee got so hot, I took it back after nearly 45 minutes and sadly said "thanks for the ride, but no!"
    Enjoy it mate and it's time you came out on a SATNR Ride again, soon.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

  9. #9
    Join Date
    27th April 2009 - 22:24
    Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    Location
    Manurewa
    Posts
    380
    its here

    now just have to wait till I have clearance to ride (and the rain to stop)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010183 medium.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	328.6 KB 
ID:	339736  
    SIGN HERE X

    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    It's like watching a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    What a soft cock, who wears pants when posting on facebook?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    8th January 2005 - 15:05
    Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Location
    New Plymouth
    Posts
    8,298
    Blog Entries
    1
    That looks like fun. Enjoy.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

  11. #11
    Join Date
    24th November 2015 - 11:20
    Bike
    Moto Guzzi V7
    Location
    Blenheim
    Posts
    202
    Very nice. I assume that's a Renntec rack on the back, or is it one of Moto Guzzi's own?
    Navy Boy

  12. #12
    Join Date
    27th April 2009 - 22:24
    Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    Location
    Manurewa
    Posts
    380
    it is the moto guzzi rack. am trying to decide what to put onto it, am leaning towards a roll type tail bag as look nicer than a Givi top box, not a practical though. the moto guzzi top box is expensive I would imagine.
    SIGN HERE X

    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    It's like watching a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    What a soft cock, who wears pants when posting on facebook?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    24th November 2015 - 11:20
    Bike
    Moto Guzzi V7
    Location
    Blenheim
    Posts
    202
    A roll-type bag is the way ahead I reckon. A top box would ruin the lovely lines of the bike.

    Let us know how you get on once you've done a few Kms on it. I've an eye on the V85TT myself though I'd want a good long test ride first.
    Navy Boy

  14. #14
    Join Date
    25th January 2008 - 17:56
    Bike
    1981 XV 1000cc Yamaha, 2009 BanditYeass!
    Location
    Dorkland
    Posts
    3,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    A roll-type bag is the way ahead I reckon. A top box would ruin the lovely lines of the bike.

    Let us know how you get on once you've done a few Kms on it. I've an eye on the V85TT myself though I'd want a good long test ride first.
    See post number 8 above.
    She did everything perfectly,but I stayed out longer than I would normally cause she was performing so well, straights, CORNERS, no bottoming out, just perfectly behaved and easy as to wrangle.
    BUTT, that right hand cylinder head warmed up the knee so much it got tooo hot.
    If it doesn't happen about 45 minutes you should be good, enjoy the test ride.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

  15. #15
    Join Date
    27th April 2009 - 22:24
    Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    Location
    Manurewa
    Posts
    380
    cleared to ride so took it out. had to go to experience as left my cover in the F800.
    have to say 100k feels way faster on this bike but it is such a hoot. I have no problems with the cylinder head cooking my legs.
    really have to change mindset to get back into the cruiser groove, tending to downshift too early & upsetting the bike. really feel the shaft jacking if you do that.
    I will need to put on some kind of wind protection to do longer rides at speed even if its just a low screen to reduce the weight on the chest.
    SIGN HERE X

    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    It's like watching a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    What a soft cock, who wears pants when posting on facebook?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •