Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Support for our front line Ambo's.

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan

Support for our front line Ambo's.

Something a bit different, not strictly biking but definitely biker related. Not sure if this has been posted before.

The link below is for petition for the front line Ambo staff crewing conditions to be improved in St John's.

These front line, hands on, take all the shit thrown at them medical people have picked up many a biker over the years. They are always there for us, be a good time if we bikers could be there for them eh.

Only takes four clicks to sign and show your support.

Just to be open and honest, yes my wife is one of those picking us up when things go wrong. She's a biker tooso is one of us.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.together.org.nz/ambos?recruiter_id=28867

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    In the past have contributed to their various fund raising appeals.

Reading about this in the paper the other day decided that I won't be contributing next time I'm asked, but will return the envelope with a note saying no contribution while front line paramedics are being treated in what I consider to be a 'shabby fashion'.

ruaphu, give your wife a huge hug from all of us who truly appreciate what she and other paramedics do for their community

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    something seriously wrong with the whole St John organisation, there needs to be a massive shake up at the top levels

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Not enough info on that page.... seems as other ambos already happy... http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/nation...ement-over-pay

Maybe its lower at the bottom but ive heard a proper fully trained paramedic gets good $$$$$

https://www.careers.govt.nz/jobs-dat...lth/paramedic/

Yes its a tough job and in the front line with meth heads and other unappreciative losers needing treatment....

Supported in past and still will but hey lot of the issues raised are already covered under labour laws and OSH, up to ambo and unions to sort it out, public petition is irrelevant.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Not enough info on that page.... seems as other ambos already happy... http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/nation...ement-over-pay

Maybe its lower at the bottom but ive heard a proper fully trained paramedic gets good $$$$$

Yes its a tough job and in the front line with meth heads and other unappreciative losers needing treatment....

Supported in past and still will but hey lot of the issues raised are already covered under labour laws and OSH, up to ambo and unions to sort it out, public petition is irrelevant.
    Good $$$ is relative though isn't it.

I reckon there is a difference between Good $$ for someone pumping gas on a forecourt, and good $$ for someone who routinely turns up to car accidents where people's heads are smashed like pumpkins because they drove drunk and caused families, and small children, or other innocents sickening, life threatening injuries.

Given the horrors that those poor bastards have to see and deal with, I don't think the money the earn is very good. not to mention shift work etc etc.

Bike
    Ktm sd gt
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    Good $$$ is relative though isn't it.

I reckon there is a difference between Good $$ for someone pumping gas on a forecourt, and good $$ for someone who routinely turns up to car accidents where people's heads are smashed like pumpkins because they drove drunk and caused families, and small children, or other innocents sickening, life threatening injuries.

Given the horrors that those poor bastards have to see and deal with, I don't think the money the earn is very good. not to mention shift work etc etc.
    Yip totally agree, a difficult job on many levels... even more so in local communities with more volunteers and the likelihood of going to a job where the incident involves people you know....

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post

The downside is that we don't get to hear the full story in the media. Once First Union can no longer talk with St John, because St John walk away from the negotiating table, the public petition becomes one tool to level the playing field. St John is viewed as some holier than thou entity in this country, the reality is a little different...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post

yeah but find me the paramed that thought they'd be putting Pooh-bear bandaids on little timmy's scrapes all day, and i'll show you someone who's mildly retarded.
    it's not like they go into it unkowingly, they do what they do because it's #therightthingtodo. which more cunts should do. but economoney.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    The downside is that we don't get to hear the full story in the media. Once First Union can no longer talk with St John, because St John walk away from the negotiating table, the public petition becomes one tool to level the playing field. St John is viewed as some holier than thou entity in this country, the reality is a little different...
    Having been in the middle of Union things in the past, truth is often moved to improve position.

It would be interesting to know the full story but I doubt we ever will.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by v twin View Post
    Yip totally agree, a difficult job on many levels... even more so in local communities with more volunteers and the likelihood of going to a job where the incident involves people you know....
    unfortunately small comunities struggle to get the volly's they need, and that is part due to the way the system is managed, it is a very big commitment and yet if our local ambo in riverton gets called and transports to hospital in invercargill they then need to clean and restock and then they get to come home, well one would think they should but no, (this has actually happened) our volunteers can then get dispatched to another call elsewhere, this causes two problems of significance, A/ the ambo is out of service for its own comuntity longer than necessary B/ more importantly, the officers are out longer than necessary.

as a volunteer fireman we are now getting responded to more and more medicals because of the ineptitude of the ambulance management.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Having been in the middle of Union things in the past, truth is often moved to improve position.

It would be interesting to know the full story but I doubt we ever will.
    See example below, gives you a small hint of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    unfortunately small comunities struggle to get the volly's they need, and that is part due to the way the system is managed, it is a very big commitment and yet if our local ambo in riverton gets called and transports to hospital in invercargill they then need to clean and restock and then they get to come home, well one would think they should but no, (this has actually happened) our volunteers can then get dispatched to another call elsewhere, this causes two problems of significance, A/ the ambo is out of service for its own comuntity longer than necessary B/ more importantly, the officers are out longer than necessary.

as a volunteer fireman we are now getting responded to more and more medicals because of the ineptitude of the ambulance management.

Bike
    Ktm sd gt
    Good management makes for good business, shit rolls down hill. So if it's shit at the bottom you know it's full of shit heads at the top. St. John's cops Bunnings all the same.... I think people want to do a good job even if they can't, so you shouldn't try and put down the ground staff for complaining when it's probably all down to the 'economoney' bullshit looking for a bigger bonus or a new merc or even just a big ego

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post

ruaphu, give your wife a huge hug from all of us who truly appreciate what she and other paramedics do for their community
    Thanks Moi, shall do, she loves her job and the people she serves, just not the politics and especially not the single crewing.

From my perspective it can be somewhat worrisome knowing she's going out single crewed having listened to what she has had to deal with in the past (some just down right horrifying)

In my humble view St J have lost their humanity. Somewhat Ironic their mission statement is 'first to care'................ from my perspective, obviously not for their front line staff.

Bike
    '21 Aprilia Tuono

I volunteer with St John here in Auckland.

The main problem is that the ambulance service is seriously underfunded. Workload is increasing year on year but the funding levels have stayed the same. In Auckland the number of ambulances on each watch hasn't changed for years but the number of callouts keeps increasing.

The result is that staff are getting overworked with little downtime in a 12 hour shift. I have been told it was usual 10 or so years ago to only get a few jobs per shift, now we normally get 5-8. This means the crew get little time to debrief and unwind. Increasingly meal breaks are getting broken and crews are having to take a job just before their shift ends - meaning they may be working continuously for 13-14hrs.

Most paramedics now have degrees, the job is getting increasingly more complicated - the latest protocols have considerably increased their responsibility - yet the pay remains the same and to be honest is not really enough.

The strikes started as a way to try and improve working conditions, primarily to ensure that breaks can be taken and to reduce the chance of shifts being extended. Some positive changes have been made because of this but fundamentally we need more crews to reduce the workload and unless the funding gets a boost that is not going to happen.

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan

The volley fire officers are awesome, my wife has had to rely on them on numerous occasions.

Where would nz be without our Vollies (weather they be fire, ambo, community, hospital etc) eh. Our nations unsung heroes saving and caring for our arses nationwide......... daily

Thread Information