Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stolen 2016 KTM RC390 - Auckland Central

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Thing with CCTV is you need to know the time an event happened. Tried to use my CCTv once to help out with neighbours burglary, hours trawling throught o see nothing....
    Only really good if you think you know who the offender is, really hard to ID people unless expensive hi end system.
    Anyone buying I recommend 8 cameras as minimum and have one close to road/driveway to get number plates.
    quantity over quality ehh

Bike
    gsx250
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Secure parking, disc lock and grip lock. FFS is no one safe?

One thing I have going for me is that just about every stolen road bike I've heard about was either in Auckland or Chch.
    Hyosung owners maybe?

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Damn that's cheap, sign me up.
    No cunts gonna wanna steal your bike mate. Cunt's would last 5 secs trying to ride the fucking thing!

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    One thing I have going for me is that just about every stolen road bike I've heard about was either in Auckland or Chch.
    Nah be careful. There're bikes going missing from all over the country at an alarming rate. I've never seen anything like it.

Bike
    gsx250
    How come bikes are all of a sudden getting stolen? I know that it's easier to sell them in Britain and America as there's a big market for parts and bikes.

Australia seems to have a bike theft issue. Is it just crack heads feeding their addiction?

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by jafagsx250 View Post
    How come bikes are all of a sudden getting stolen?
    It's been happening forever. As Crasher says, there's a lot of it happening at the moment but that'll pass when the Killer Beez move onto something else.

Bike
    gsx250
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    It's nothing new at all, been happening forever.
    I used to be into skylines and Silvia etc and they get stolen all the time but stolen bikes don't really get a lot of publicity.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    No cunts gonna wanna steal your bike mate. Cunt's would last 5 secs trying to ride the fucking thing!
    I figure the same. I also figure most thieves are stupid enough to not notice and still try to take my baby, ie chucking it into a van etc.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    quantity over quality ehh
    Quality when it comes to CCTV is expensive. At consumer level your resolution is about same as blurry gas station stuff the cops post on facebook.
    In a typical property with house and separate garage ist impossible to effectively cover all access areas with four cameras.
    8 camera systems are not terribly more expensive than 4's
    One thing they are good is at the night vision, good on a winters night when you hear a noise, flick the TV to AV and see whats happening outside.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    the best one
    Bad luck man - fucking dirty mongrel cunt(s). What's next bike jackings...?!

Most bike thefts are usually done very quickly (sub 3min job). If a thief has to sit there for 30min angle grinding a disc and grip lock and figure out how to get the bike out of a building I strongly think its someone you know and knows how your building/garage works. A thief will make decent effort and take lots of risk for something a bit more expensive than a RC390. So I think it's probably likely they actually picked it up and put it in a stolen van/ute/4x4 and dealt with the locks at wherever they took it.

For someone to steal a bike from a secure parking spot with CCTV cameras is getting up there in terms of risk and likelihood of getting caught. So they likely knew what they were looking for.

Who knew you were away for 3 weeks?
    Who knows where you park/store the bike?
    Are there any other bikes parked in the garage, why weren't they stolen (too big, better locks etc etc).
    Garage door - do they need the remote to get in but it opens automatically on way out? That way they would have driven in behind a resident, picked up the RC and driven out.
    Have there been any other thefts recently in building?
    Are there any other MC riders in building - remember they are probably your top suspects.
    Write a note and stick it in all residents letter boxes telling them you'll cut their fucking balls off if it was them. Translate it in Chinese too

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkNZ View Post
    Yep there is a walk in up a flight of stairs (need a key fob swipe thingy) to the cark park as well. Only way vehicles (including a bike) can get in and out are via the roller doors which you need a remote to open. No signs of physical damage on the roller doors.
    The real question is, who knew it was there to steal in the first place? I'd suspect that if you checked the security footage someone would be checking it out first so the person will be in camera footage at least twice. They'd have to figure out what's underneath - a 30 year old 125 wouldn't be worth the risk.

Sadly some dicks sublet out their "secure parking" spaces - if anyone is suspect it'll be a sublet.

It'll probably be chopped for parts, that's what the theives in the UK do.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    It'll probably be chopped for parts, that's what the theives in the UK do.
    I'm not so sure, there's not a lot of those about and they are all near new so it's unlikely there'd be much of a parts market yet. I think it was Pete suggested that the model is raced and that'd be a possibility.

The ID numbers might pose a problem if it ever showed up at a KTM dealer. I'm assuming dealers still have lists of stolen bikes? Although in the only case I heard about that a shop identified the thief nothing was done. The guilty party was far from broke.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2015 Honda CBR650F
    Quote Originally Posted by aprilia_RS250 View Post
    Bad luck man - fucking dirty mongrel cunt(s). What's next bike jackings...?!

Most bike thefts are usually done very quickly (sub 3min job). If a thief has to sit there for 30min angle grinding a disc and grip lock and figure out how to get the bike out of a building I strongly think its someone you know and knows how your building/garage works. A thief will make decent effort and take lots of risk for something a bit more expensive than a RC390. So I think it's probably likely they actually picked it up and put it in a stolen van/ute/4x4 and dealt with the locks at wherever they took it.

For someone to steal a bike from a secure parking spot with CCTV cameras is getting up there in terms of risk and likelihood of getting caught. So they likely knew what they were looking for.

Who knew you were away for 3 weeks?
    Who knows where you park/store the bike?
    Are there any other bikes parked in the garage, why weren't they stolen (too big, better locks etc etc).
    Garage door - do they need the remote to get in but it opens automatically on way out? That way they would have driven in behind a resident, picked up the RC and driven out.
    Have there been any other thefts recently in building?
    Are there any other MC riders in building - remember they are probably your top suspects.
    Write a note and stick it in all residents letter boxes telling them you'll cut their fucking balls off if it was them. Translate it in Chinese too
    I'm the only one that's ever owned a bike since I moved in here 3 years ago. Most of the residents I would assume would have seen my bike around, knew it belonged to me and where I stored it. I did not notify anyone that I would be going away, they must have scoped it out for a day or 2 and seen no movement?

It's rather a small apartment complex, no more than 25 units and probably under 60 residents in total. You need the remote to enter AND exit the garage; it does not automatically open on the way out. I don't do anything silly ie burnouts, wheelies, revving, etc to piss of the neighbours. No thefts recently.

Also they cut the locks with an angle grinder and left them behind. Various bits and pieces (steering lock pins, ignition cover) were also left behind. If you see how the grip lock was cut, they did it as efficiently as possible.

I'm still baffled why someone would go through such considerable effort to steal an RC390 - at my work place there is an CBR1000RR and R1 parked on the street 5 days a week.

Bike
    the best one
    I'm the only one that's ever owned a bike since I moved in here 3 years ago. Most of the residents I would assume would have seen my bike around, knew it belonged to me and where I stored it. I did not notify anyone that I would be going away, they must have scoped it out for a day or 2 and seen no movement?

It's rather a small apartment complex, no more than 25 units and probably under 60 residents in total. You need the remote to enter AND exit the garage; it does not automatically open on the way out.
    Ask the building manager if any one has reported a lost remote, who else apart from residents has access etc. I used to live in apt building and the rubbish collector had a remote to access the rubbish room which was in the garage. They would walk in and out completely unsupervised until a homeless decided to set up camp in the stairwell.

Keep us in the loop of what you find on CCTV and good luck.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

It's rather a small apartment complex, no more than 25 units and probably under 60 residents in total. You need the remote to enter AND exit the garage; it does not automatically open on the way out. I don't do anything silly ie burnouts, wheelies, revving, etc to piss of the neighbours. No thefts recently.

Also they cut the locks with an angle grinder and left them behind. Various bits and pieces (steering lock pins, ignition cover) were also left behind. If you see how the grip lock was cut, they did it as efficiently as possible.

I'm still baffled why someone would go through such considerable effort to steal an RC390 - at my work place there is an CBR1000RR and R1 parked on the street 5 days a week.

Definitely a pre-planned job. Someone who has been in your carpark, probably a friend of someone who lives in your building. Security footage should show someone checking it out within 24 hours of it getting taken - thieves won't mess about waiting - once they decide to take it, they'll act fast! To get away with the bike with minimal suspicion they'd need to bring a helmet and tools, or they'd risk getting pulled over by police for not wearing a helmet.

As they broke the locks etc.. on the bike at the scene, they didn't have a vehicle like a ute or van, so probably young thieves who took it for racing like someone else has suggested. Any idea how someone might take a bike from the carpark? If they have a security fob for the security doors that should identify who they are - or your building has slack security procedures.

Thread Information