Thread: California couple looking to steal/rent/swap bikes December 2017

Bike
    2002 Suzuki Vstrom 1000

California couple looking to steal/rent/swap bikes December 2017

Hi all,
    Good day from California! I wanted to reach out to the collective knowledge here on KiwiBiker to see if anyone had any leads on beg/borrow/steal/rent a couple of bikes for my wife & I to explore New Zealand for a couple weeks starting Christmas, 2017.

Looking at the New Zealand online bike rental shop prices (during peak season and then doubling it for each of us to be able to ride) has given us sticker shock. Hoping that we could instead put a couple local bikes on the road and cash in the pocket of a fellow rider. Alternatively, we have a stable of bikes (Vstrom 1000, Honda VFR, Honda Shadow with Sidecar, etc) located in Los Angeles. Would be open to a vacation/bike swap of some sort too if that could work out...

My wife Monique and I are (reasonably) responsible & experienced 45 year old street and dirt bikers looking for an off the beaten track vacation. We are open to any possibilities, but some sort of luggage and full day riding capability would be minimum requirements. I am 6'4" and my wife is 6'1' so neither of us are inseam challenged. Probably anything from a KLR650 or the like on up to a GS1200 would server the purpose.

As a way of introduction (that we are a bit odd, but in a good way) our 2016 adventure was my wife riding the USA coast to coast on the Sister's Centennial Ride with our two kids in a sidecar pulling a trailer - you can check out her adventure starting at motorcyclemama.org/page/3, it is worth a good chuckle or two). Have a great day and thanks for reading!

Frank

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    Best bet would be to buy a bike and pickup when you land, then sell to a dealer when you fly back, or find a mate who could sell on behalf.

Things you'll have to consider:
    Warrent of Fitness
    Registration
    Insurance (not compulsory but may be a good idea)

Look at www.trademe.co.nz for some ideas on costs of buying a bike in NZ.

Bike
    2002 Suzuki Vstrom 1000
    If we are renting a bike from a member, it is highly likely that it would be in solid condition. Buying a bike on the open market is an option, but the chances of it going wrong are a bit high (unknown or undisclosed problem stopping vacation dead in the tracks).

Also, if we were to purchase bikes (to alleviate any concerns of liability), with an agreed to "sell back" price, that could also be a good approach. But I assume that would involve paperwork, registration, paying sales tax?, etc to the whole affair. Is it a standard government red tape process on that side of the pond? Open to any options.

Thanks,
    Frank Filips

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    Quote Originally Posted by fjfilips View Post
    If we are renting a bike from a member, it is highly likely that it would be in solid condition. Buying a bike on the open market is an option, but the chances of it going wrong are a bit high (unknown or undisclosed problem stopping vacation dead in the tracks).

Also, if we were to purchase bikes (to alleviate any concerns of liability), with an agreed to "sell back" price, that could also be a good approach. But I assume that would involve paperwork, registration, paying sales tax?, etc to the whole affair. Is it a standard government red tape process on that side of the pond? Open to any options.

Thanks,
    Frank Filips
    All you need to do when buying a bike is do a change of ownership online, which takes about 5 mins and costs not much (I think $40). Registration carries over so if you got a bike with a couple of months rego and warrant left on it, you should be all good. Since you haven't got any offers of renting a motorcycle out to you yet I was thinking you might want to start considering some other options. I'm normally ok with lending my bike, but for a whole month during cruise ship season not so keen, plus it isn't suitable for all day riding like you want.

Bike
    2002 Suzuki Vstrom 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Hads View Post
    All you need to do when buying a bike is do a change of ownership online, which takes about 5 mins and costs not much (I think $40). Registration carries over so if you got a bike with a couple of months rego and warrant left on it, you should be all good. Since you haven't got any offers of renting a motorcycle out to you yet I was thinking you might want to start considering some other options. I'm normally ok with lending my bike, but for a whole month during cruise ship season not so keen, plus it isn't suitable for all day riding like you want.
    Good to know! Over here, it is both expensive and time consuming. Cruise ship season, heh, I like that!

We are planning to book flights in a couple days, we will be in New Zealand and looking to rent for two weeks maximum
    Currently planning on flying 12/23/2016 and return by 1/6/2016.

Thank you, and appreciate the input!
    Frank

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    Good to know! Over here, it is both expensive and time consuming. Cruise ship season, heh, I like that!

We are planning to book flights in a couple days, we will be in New Zealand and looking to rent for two weeks maximum

Frank
    Which part of NZ were you thinking, do you know anyone over here you trust who could purchase a bike on your behalf?

If you haven't decided location yet, you could go around the South Island, land in Christchurch and drive down to Queenstown and back up the west coast through Arthurs Pass back to Christchurch.

Bike
    2002 Suzuki Vstrom 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Hads View Post
    Which part of NZ were you thinking, do you know anyone over here you trust who could purchase a bike on your behalf?

If you haven't decided location yet, you could go around the South Island, land in Christchurch and drive down to Queenstown and back up the west coast through Arthurs Pass back to Christchurch.
    Currently don't know any New Zealanders, but we are friendly and hoping this forum will change that!

We have settled on Christchurch (and the south island) as our destination, so looking for options for 2 weeks starting at Christmas 2016 starting (and ending) there. That is as far as we have gotten so far.

Once we get transportation sorted, next up will be lodging. I do like a pre-determined destination for the day (that is pre-screened a bit). Is there any "pre-determined itenerary with recommended lodging stops" that folks have already pre-run, tested and approved for a two week romp around the south island that we could follow?

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    Don't know of any predetermined route, but I can recommend some destinations

Akaroa, you can have some fun taking the long way through some really cool gravel roads round banks peninsula
    Go South down the coast to Dunedin, cool student town
    Invercargill to the Burt Munroe Museum
    Milford Sound
    Te Anau
    Alexander or Queenstown depending on budget
    Haast
    Greymouth
    Reefton
    Hamner
    Rangiora (Go to swamp rd and follow a cool 4wd track toward the ocean, can be quite fun that follows the Ashley River)
    Back to Christchurch

Clearly my knowledge is better around Canterbury but I'm sure others will have spots you can go in other places.

Bike
    suzuki
    Currently don't know any New Zealanders, but we are friendly and hoping this forum will change that!

We have settled on Christchurch (and the south island) as our destination, so looking for options for 2 weeks starting at Christmas 2016 starting (and ending) there. That is as far as we have gotten so far.

Once we get transportation sorted, next up will be lodging. I do like a pre-determined destination for the day (that is pre-screened a bit). Is there any "pre-determined itenerary with recommended lodging stops" that folks have already pre-run, tested and approved for a two week romp around the south island that we could follow?
    the whole island can be travelled from end to end in a day, don't get too hung up on having an itinary locked in as you may find the roads are so damn good that you will zig zag all over the place, just to spend the extra time on the bikes.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries

Frank
    http://solidlystated.com/design/what...r-date-format/

i would go one step further and tell you that every cunt is wrong and it should be YYYY-MM-DD or epoch time, but i'm like that.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    How much was it gunna cost to hire the two bikes for a couple weeks?

could be worth buying two bikes, and putting on trademe for $1 reserve (trademe = NZ version of ebay / craigslist) with the auction ending a day or so before you leave.

You could contact dealers and discuss with them a deal agreeing to a buy-back as long as they dont come back damaged?. CHange of ownership costs about $9.70, and takes a couple of minutes online.

Have a look at nzta.govt.nz - that will explain the process over here - ts very straight forward.

While the south island is ride-able length wise in a day, accommodation can be hard to find if you havent pre-booked, especially around christmas time, I would suggest setting a route, and making bookings - but when planning the route, I recommend allowing for lots of side-jaunts, there are heaps of awesome roads all over the place here, and you could spend a whole day playing on twisty side roads just travelling from dunedin to invercargill.

Bike
    Various things

Frank
    Hi there Frank. We (the shop I work in) are always happy to do a buy back deal, provided we have something suitable for you and your wife come the time. Feel free to keep in touch. We're in Wellington.

Pete

Bike
    Kawasaki H2A 1973
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Hi there Frank. We (the shop I work in) are always happy to do a buy back deal, provided we have something suitable for you and your wife come the time. Feel free to keep in touch. We're in Wellington.

Pete
    Your best option is this Frank.

My only other comment is not a great idea to put the word 'steal' in your heading/post. Personally it would put me off if I was in a position to rent you a bike (and not be a bike shop)

Good luck, you will enjoy NZ

Bike
    Niken, Hypermotard, ST1100, F650, Evoke
    Hi all,
    Good day from California! I wanted to reach out to the collective knowledge here on KiwiBiker to see if anyone had any leads on beg/borrow/steal/rent a couple of bikes for my wife & I to explore New Zealand for a couple weeks starting Christmas, 2017.
    Frank
    I've got a 1994, BMW F650 that doesn't get enough use. It lives in Auckland. I'd be open to a deal that see it getting some more use.
    If any Germans are reading this thread, I'm keen to beg, buy, borrow a bike in Berlin for a few weeks in July 2018.

Thread Information