Thread: Affordable leather jackets... and dual visor helmet...

Bike
    Suzuki intruder 250cc

Affordable leather jackets... and dual visor helmet...

So I am currently using a 1tonne textile jacket at the moment which is fine for the short term for me, however I want a decent leather jacket. Where would you all recommend to get one that is decent and affordable...

And what's people's opinion on the Twin visor helmets? Worth it or nah?

Cheers

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanman View Post

Cheers
    My first helmet with a sun visor was a revelation to me. I went looking for a new helmet a week ago and the choice was made based on a few criteria, one of which was it had to have a retractable sun visor. I have had about ten helmets since 1981 and each one has had features/characteristics I have liked or disliked. Helmet developments over the years has generally been good. Whether you get on with a helmet will only become apparent over time and use in your daily riding.

Leather jackets should be a significant investment because it is protective gear. I have both synthetic and two leather. It depends on your use, as to the quality you need, daily commute to Uni or track day use for example. I don't think there has ever been a cheaper time to buy a leather jacket in relative terms, but there has never been a "cheap" leather jacket in real terms. Save your pennies and get the best you can afford as your skin will thank you for it one day. Then again, a good synthetic jacket is just as effective in most situations outside of extreme sport riding.

Just my opinion, take it or leave it.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    There is still no real substitute for leather when it comes to skin coverage and protection, as said previous save and buy good quality.
    Helmets are a different kettle of fish.
    I'd never buy a helemt with a retrctable visor, they generally hang too low or don't go down ehen you want and there is the added hasle of them failing and leaving you with no useable visor clear or tinted.
    These days wife and I both use Bell Helmet with bolt on photo Chromatic visors.
    These have worked perfectly for the last 12 months or more and do not require anymore than a quick wipe with JUST WATer and a soft cloth every so often.
    They darken within about 1.5-3 seconds and the same when lightening up.
    You can ride directly into the sun and look at the road without being blinded, they work very well and the expense is not nearly as bad as you might think.
    Ours were on special because they were standard solid colours and the visors were thrown in free as a specil promotional thing. $500.00 each from memory.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Street Triple R
    work out what fits you, then stalk tardeme for a bargain name brand jacket. Or Revzilla or Urban Rider (but beware the GST and other bullshit levies - you might escape them but you might not).

I have a couple of Triumph branded jackets which I think are very good value for money and well made.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanman View Post
    So I am currently using a 1tonne textile jacket at the moment which is fine for the short term for me, however I want a decent leather jacket. Where would you all recommend to get one that is decent and affordable...

Cheers

Just don't buy a cheap jacket that you'll want to replace in 12 months, get something you feel confident in. Now what's affordable depends on what you're willing to spend. $500? Icon Hypersport Prime?

Bike
    Suzuki intruder 250cc
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess affordable is kind of a grey area. I was thinking in the 500-600 ish area. Be for to and from work with the odd cruise from palmy to welington or to tokoroa every now and then.

I've seen a few I liked bit with price tags off 200-300 I'm very hesitant and wondering just how good they truely are and how much protection I am going to receive...
    Hence the what do people recommend. I know I'm going to be upgrading the bike at a later date so I want to invest in decent gear but at the same time I have to be realistic and accept I am both poor and will be beaten by the accountant if I get too excited with the savings

Bike
    I got some awesome 2 piece leathers for $250 second hand and then sold them for the same price 12 months later. Can't go wrong!

Drop down internal visors are awesome, in theory. I find I prefer sunglasses though. The internal visor tint wasn't dark enough on my LS2 either, so now it has a tinted external visor (which I don't recommend either unless you are only doing short blats or can stick to a plan regarding daylight hours ) and the internal visor. I hardly use it.

That said I go through so many sunglasses! They all get scratched to fark, lost or crushed in my pocket when off road riding. The struggle is real.

Thread Information