Thread: For Triumph fans , present - and future.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

For Triumph fans , present - and future.

I saw this item this morning and it struck me as a bit of a bolt from the blue. The Bobber, then this. Couldn't be more different.

To quote John Bloor, I hope they "don't fuck it up".

http://www.bikesportnews.com/news/ne...deal-for-moto2
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Street Triple R
    bitchin'. A grid full of those should sound amazing.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Time to buy shares in cement and broom manufacturers
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Nah. Shouldn't have to run a 750 triple at too high a risk tune wise to be better that the heaps of shit they're replacing. Def sound better too as said.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Haha - I was thinking of making a oil leak joke.

Should be interesting to see how this pans out over the season.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    http://world.honda.com/MotoGP/2016/moto2_engines/

Moto2 engines (this is an interesting article by the way) are around 130hp. They must/will be looking for similar from a 3cyl 750.

Looks like they will need 200 or so engines if they use similar methodology to the Honda people. Note that they were allowing a 3% power discrepancy but they actually got it to 1.4% or something. Impressive.

This engine might be taller (longer stroke) and narrower (perhaps) than the Honda engine. Given chassis is not controlled in Moto2 then they will have brand new bikes effectively for 2018.

Also a 3 cylinder 750 (or 765) Street Triple might be my next bike.....

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    http://world.honda.com/MotoGP/2016/moto2_engines/

Moto2 engines (this is an interesting article by the way) are around 130hp. They must/will be looking for similar from a 3cyl 750.

Looks like they will need 200 or so engines if they use similar methodology to the Honda people. Note that they were allowing a 3% power discrepancy but they actually got it to 1.4% or something. Impressive.

This engine might be taller (longer stroke) and narrower (perhaps) than the Honda engine. Given chassis is not controlled in Moto2 then they will have brand new bikes effectively for 2018.

Also a 3 cylinder 750 (or 765) Street Triple might be my next bike.....

I read somewhere that they were expecting the 765 in base form to be 110 hp with the hot rod R up to 120. For the road versions.

And they will be conservative figures so they last 100,000 kms plus.

Presumably the 200 race engines will be hand assembled and massaged to exceed 130 hp.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Presumably the 200 race engines will be hand assembled and massaged to exceed 130 hp.
    There is a company in Europe that takes all the Honda Moto2 engines, pulls them right down and rebuilds them aiming for as near as possible identical power output before supplying them to the teams. It would make sense for Triumph to use the same people but...

Dorna may want to up the 130bhp. Dorna tried to get Honda to do it but they refused, having Honda engines blowing up wouldn't be a good look.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/moto2-engin...behind-scenes/

I like the bit where after describing how each engine is run for two hours on the dyno so the riders don't have to worry about running them in, it points out that while doing this the engines are generating power to the grid. That seems like a bright idea. I wonder if AMPS in Auckland do that?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    [QUOTE=HenryDorsetCase;1131022511]

QUOTE]

This will be interesting on a triple. Ian Cramp of Fastbikes and project Lionheart fame wrote a good article once in relation to the PETRONAS bikes and other triples about why they are never fully successful against twins and fourse in racing ( I know not fully applicable here).
    Anyway in a triple the ratio of Big end bearing friction to pistons providing power is at a disadvantage. (prob why they going out to 750cc) So success and good engine power is going to be rewarded to the teams with the best mechaniocs and oils and riders not over heating engines. Will be interesting times, at least they will sound good I guess....

Excerpt "All three-cylinder engines, whether vees or in-line, need four main bearings. This is an inherent disadvantage – more bearings than cylinders, and no way for adjacent big-ends to share a crankpin. The designers of the first KR 2-stroke triple knew this, and so they effectively didn’t make a triple at all – it was really a vee-twin (with two main bearings) with a single bolted on to one side, meaning that the “single” could share one of its main bearings with the twin, making a total of three main bearings in all. This was a complex and lop-sided arrangement, and it makes you wonder why they didn’t just have two twins for the same number of bearings, i.e. a vee-four – just like all of the people at the other end of the grid were using.

There is a way of turning the inherent weakness of the triple, i.e. that it must always be built like three singles in a line, into a strength. Since there is no easy way of getting big-ends to share the same crankpin, the firing order and interval can be anything you like (or can get away with). The engine’s got to have a balance shaft anyway, so vibration won’t be a problem.

More at http://www.iancramp.co.uk/archive.html

Bike
    Street Triple R
    thats a good read. Cheers.

Clearly they have overlooked this solution - the W-3. three rods on the same crankpin! Like a rotary aircraft engine.

I love this thing.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/mak...ple-feuling-w3

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    thats a good read. Cheers.

Clearly they have overlooked this solution - the W-3. three rods on the same crankpin! Like a rotary aircraft engine.

I love this thing.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/mak...ple-feuling-w3
    All his articles are pure engineering gold, an original cosworth apprentice that fella, done lots of interesting stuff. The articles on the 500cc gp engine are good.

There is a W3 type thing in NZ seen it at bike show awhile ago....

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    So success and good engine power is going to be rewarded to the teams with the best mechaniocs and oils and riders not over heating engines.
    The mechanics can't do much at all to the engines, the engines are sealed. All have the same oil, Honda won't be wanting anybody to use something else and stuff an engine. Triumph, Externpro, or whoever, will probably be the same.

The engines are all monitored and the suppliers have a word in the ear of any rider who is shortening the life of an engine. If, after receiving the word, the rider persists then it's his problem.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    five engine failures in one million RACING kilometers!

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    All his articles are pure engineering gold, an original cosworth apprentice that fella, done lots of interesting stuff. The articles on the 500cc gp engine are good.

There is a W3 type thing in NZ seen it at bike show awhile ago....
    here its is at EMS 2014 Hastings
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140704_9803.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	315.4 KB 
ID:	327850  

Bike
    Various things
    here its is at EMS 2014 Hastings
    Based on a dirty old Evo in and old FXR chassis. Still cool though!

Thread Information