Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lower Speed Tolerances - Whodathunkit

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    Experience has shown me that 95% of road users go 10 over the limit.
    I think that your experience has not improved your ability to count. 95% is a very bad guess. And ... (I guess) you cannot prove that figure is anywhere near correct.

If I rode 5 under in a few minutes I'd be tailgated, a few more to build-up a queue of traffic, then around 30 seconds before the risky overtakes begin.
    Ride at speeds you can get away with at the time. If you think that speed may need to be be over the posted limit ... the choice is yours .. as is the risk of a ticket. Don't bother telling us if you do get pinged ... we (I) don't care.

Lower tolerances just increase the chances of giving more drivers a fine to scare them into going slower in future. If they dropped tolerances to 0 only then would people treat speed limits as actual "limits". (That sounds contradictory, but what I meant was that drivers assume a tolerance when they decide their speed, if there were no tolerance, drivers would most probably keep below the speed limit - with "limit" being the key word, not "Limit + 5km").
    Tolerances are LTSA public relations bullshit. The posted speed limits ARE the actual speed limits. The officer that stops YOU has the authority to issue a ticket if you are over any posted speed limit. The discretion to do so (or not) is theirs ... any previously announced tolerance can and will be ignored ... if they see fit.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I have a pet peeve. This one is about motorcyclists. I hate bastards who are too lazy to change gear and use the whole passing lane to overtake a car. There is a vivid memory of a guy with an STX with boxes on a group ride who did exactly that. Fuck everybody else. (No, it wasn't Nadroj.) I was having a major rant inside my helmet. I didn't have an air horn then - but I do now. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest his crutch.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information