Thread: Carb needle shims. Where to get them?

Bike
    suzuki bandit 600

Carb needle shims. Where to get them?

Hi.
    I'm new here. I recently bought a 1998 bandit 600 and the bike feels a but lazy on start and sometimes even stutter when low on revs. The thing is I'm looking for some washers, spacers, shims (i'm not sure how they are called) to raise a bit the needles on the carbs (keihin cvk 32). I have no idea where I could get them,I've read I can find them in electronics or modeling shops but there aren't any of those around Queenstown.
    Any idea or advice?
    Thanks you very much
    Cheers

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    I have a bag of 92 (was 100) in my workshop. I'll check the size later.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    From my experience, I would say you are a bit rich on transition from idle to initial lifting of the needle. That would require the opposite to remedy. Have you properly adjusted the idle screws using the recommended method?

Could be the carbs need balancing rather than making any richer on transition. Could be they need a good clean. Could be many things.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Probably rooted needle valves, common on Bandits.

Contact Alec at SME in Whitford. He probably has them in stock.

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    Yes float valves and needles may be sticking open on one or more bowls. I had that on my Bandit and replaced them with new. All said and done the carb bank just required a heavy duty strip n clean to remove all the sediment throughout that was gumming things up.

You can still have an over rich, just off idle condition if the idle adjustment screws have been tampered with and are too far out.

Nothing a strip and clean won't reveal. Time to roll up your sleeves, break out the manual, use google search and delve into it.

Spark plugs however are a good place to start with an inspection to see what they tell you, whether its lean or generally rich.

Bike
    suzuki bandit 600
    I've already tried many things. spark plugs are in great condition and from what I could tell,the mixture doesn't seem to be rich at all,the plugs were looking just good. also cleaned all four carbs,checked idle,cables.... Needles seem too be ok,floats good and free moving, jets were clean...
    after cleaning it improved a bit, but still from 0 to 1/4 throttle isn't running great, it needs a lot of chocke to start when cold even now in summer, and idle is a bit erratic.
    I haven't tried to adjust the pilot screw,but it is covered, on all carbs, with a copper cap that seems too have been there since the beginning of time, I don't know if I really want to start messing with it...

I've read some people got rid of this common problem in bandits by shimmering the needles. it's easy, cheap (and easy to un do) so it's my next thing to try. I just don't know where to get the "mini washers" here in Queenstown.
    I found that this is the size needed for the keihin cvk 32: 2,7mm internal d. 6,30,5mm outer d. 0,20"(0,5mm) thick.

cheers

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    I couldn't find the washers as I've recently cleaned up the garage - typical. But they are 3mm flat washers - I bought mine from Jaycar. The ID is a perfect fit on the needles.

The dimensions you gave look like they're from a Yank forum, but metric washers fit better.

It could be worth taking the plugs off the mixture screws, carefully removing, and cleaning them. Screw them in first and note how many turns it takes so you can put them back to the same setting. if the hesitation is just off a closed throttle, richening the pilot mixture by say 0.5 turn could help. Make sure the carb sync is right first though.

Bike
    suzuki bandit 600
    Thanks.
    Will try the pilot screw

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    SME also has the shims, talk to him and he will tell you whats up.

I just use electrical terminals, cut off the wire bit and you have a small washer.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    suzuki bandit 600
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    I just use electrical terminals, cut off the wire bit and you have a small washer.
    What kind of electrical terminals? Could you post a picture? Where could I get them? Sorry my English is not too good and don't really know what you mean...
    Thanks!!

I sent sme two emails but no answer, I guess they are on holidays?

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit60098 View Post
    What kind of electrical terminals? Could you post a picture? Where could I get them? Sorry my English is not too good and don't really know what you mean...
    Thanks!!

I sent sme two emails but no answer, I guess they are on holidays?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	480pcs-assorted-crimp-terminals-set-insulated.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	516.6 KB 
ID:	327865

But pretty much anything electronic will have small washers in it. Just rip apart an old video player or DVD, washers and nuts bolts everywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    A computer repair place could probably help you. Or a hardware shop like Mitre 10 might have 3 mm washers.

Failing that, Jaycar do mail order.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    Klx250s
    Iv ordered in washers thru the local bike shop.
    My carb was a keihin so the parts were all available from northern accessories
    I emailed the guy there to confirm what I needed then ordered thru my local

Thread Information