Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The most dangerous things you see other riders doing on the road.

Bike
    GSXR1000

The most dangerous things you see other riders doing on the road.

As suggested by cassina, lets see what us as riders perceive as being some of the more dangerous behaviour we've witnessed other riders doing.

I'll get the ball rolling:

Overtaking on blind corners. Puts the shits right up me when Ive seen this happen.
    Undertaking traffic at speed in town. Also puts the shits up me.
    Tailgating.

There's more but these three stood out to me the most.

Bike
    Leaning over the centerline while cornering.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    running wide on corner exit on a left bender

as OAB says too: tailgating.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Passing trucks in pissing rain when you can't see a damn thing (not passing lanes)

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Undertaking traffic at speed in town. Also puts the shits up me.
    Tailgating.
    These 2 and leaning over the centreline / cutting corners
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Fuck where do you start! All of the above plus, and this is one thing that is dangerous for you as a following rider, overtaking traffic in such a way as to cause them to take evasive action. This includes, overtaking coming up to an intersection or corner where the overtaken vehicle is forced to slam on his brakes where they previously had no need to. Etc etc.. Once this person has been inconvenienced, they are most likely now pissed off and less likely to be considerate to the next person wanting to go past them. Which could be you!. I have stopped riding with or near certain riders because of this effect.
    Speeding and needlessly overtaking in town. If you need to go fast, for fuck sake do it away from everyone else! I guess sometimes when it is for the sake of showing off that it is only done near or around other people.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I've had motorcyclists go to great length to try hiding faults on their bike when they come in for a WOF.

Wiping up leaking fork seals is the most common one - especially funny when they forget to wipe off the oil that's made it's way onto the brake pads and disc.

Bike
    A
    Overtaking dangerously. My truck is 23 metres long yet some Harley riders still think they can scoot past as if it's the length of a car

Tailgating. The number of times I've seen a rider get showered with stuff chucked up by 32 tyres on the deck...

Cornering incorrectly. So your little bike needs to be 4 inches inside the centerline, yet you wanna hang your body into my lane? Learn how to ride buddy!

Lane splitting at speed. Yeah it's fun when we're cruising along the motorway and a biker wants to duck and dive between other traffic at 30 km/h or more than the traffic. Hope they're organ donors

Overtaking as a group. So you think it's a good idea to tailgate your mate thru an overtake? Mmmm, I'd be making my own decision thanks

Ducking out onto the road in front of trucks. All sweet for a sports bike rider who is onto it, but not so flash for others...yeah I only weigh 50 tonne...so roll the dice if you wish

Speeding can be dicey, for one of the crashes I arrived at shortly after it happened, the guy had been outriding his stopping distance by such a margin...it was straight into a pine box for him.

There will be other circumstances, but the above is my 5 cents for today.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...Just about every indiscretion I see on the highways and roads from other riders usually rates a grimace at the action, but knowing that on my way to being an experienced rider, I have to acknowledge that I have been guilty of them all at some stage and got away with it... The things that get me the most though are the riders who have no clothes on and helmets that are not really helmets at all, swinging off their steeds like they are the only cunts out there...they must even embarrass their mothers...

Bike
    S1000RR
    Overtaking while on coming traffic inbound, then pulling back into left lane 1 second before a head on crash.

Egotistic sportbike riders, cruiser riders who think their bikes can go faster than an R1, trying to keep up with their riding buddy etc.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    The situation you describe is often due to group riders under pressure to keep up. I have seen that many times.
    Probably not the correct thread for it, but seeing as you've brought it up. Would you consider that in some of the situations you've seen that it might not be pressure every time but also possibly ego? In group rides I've been on where there has been some spirited riding, knowing the riders as I do, there is no pressure at all for anyone to keep up. But sometimes there has been ego. I have no problem admitting I ride often above the limit, I don't own a sportsbike for doing 100km/h, but I have no interest in the ego bullshit myself, there's no prizes for arriving at your destination first on the road.

Some may argue that I'm splitting hairs. But what I get from you when you talk about pressure to keep up is that of a rider who rides in fear of not keeping up, for example what others may think of them. Ego on the other hand is wanting to be the first to arrive etc.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    The situation you describe is often due to group riders under pressure to keep up. I have seen that many times.
    groove + needle = stuck.....

try to grow a second braincel...?
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Group rides, more specifically cruiser group rides. Recent memory of a bunch of riders coming the other way and 50% were in my lane. And a couple of Ks down the road one was sitting in the ditch.

And riders with bodies over the centre line. Dumb.

Bike
    MVs & Ducatis
    Whether the reason is pressure to keep up or ego as you put it the danger resulting riding for ego is not lessened in my opinion. I threw in a third reason the other day a fear of getting lost also equally as dangerous.
    You can't get lost in NZ, too small.

I will add, riding too slow, particularly in groups. For instance on Ulysses group rides (open road) they require a maximum speed of approx 93kph. Incredibly dangerous when a large group rides at considerably slower than the speed limit. Frustration is a killer too

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Whether the reason is pressure to keep up or ego as you put it the danger resulting riding for ego is not lessened in my opinion. I threw in a third reason the other day a fear of getting lost also equally as dangerous.
    Ok. Do you possibly see why your message may be getting lost because of your delivery? What I mean is your assumption that it's always pressure to keep up on group rides insults a lot of your audience because not everyone who goes on group rides suffers from that pressure. Nor do they all suffer from ego. Nor getting lost.

Thread Information