Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DR650 on the road?

Bike
    xt660r

DR650 on the road?

Hi guys.

just interested in any input on the usefulness of something like a DR650 for general riding, mostly sealed back roads, with maybee a bit of gravel on occasion.

do they handle decently on the road (sealed)?

I am still on my restricted licence, but would like something with a bit more torque than my ninja 250, which gets a bit frustrating when it comes to wind/hills/cruising at 100k etc. I don't necessarily need a lot of speed, but more useful power, if that makes sense

I am also starting to find the 250 a bit uncomfortable for longer rides.

considering the DR rather than a Klr as it seems easier to get them a bit lower, and i am around 5'6 - 5'7, also the simplicity appeals.

in my 30's with a background in mostly offroad riding (enduro, trail riding etc), only riding on the road in the last couple of years

any input welcome

cheers

Bike
    the best one
    Quote Originally Posted by neil. View Post
    Hi guys.

just interested in any input on the usefulness of something like a DR650 for general riding, mostly sealed back roads, with maybee a bit of gravel on occasion.

do they handle decently on the road (sealed)?

I am still on my restricted licence, but would like something with a bit more torque than my ninja 250 ...
    They handle like a big container ship compared to most road bikes. They have larger wheels, knobly dual purpose tires, higher centre of gravity, mushy suspension and is a bit outdated.
    DR650 would be good if you did 50% dirt 50% road riding (I think). You won't care if you drop it and it has massive after market parts/mods, forums, cult following etc. They are reliable and solid if you look after them (which isn't much anyway) and cheap and easy to repair. They start getting a bit spastic at speeds above 120-130kph (after I test rode one which had semi off road tires) and are not very good at overtaking on highway as they lack the horsepower.

If you wanted a good multi purpose LAMS bike which was designed for 95% sealed with 5% good gravel i'd also take a look at the NC700x. Amazing fuel consumption, v-twin - good torque and enough HP for overtaking, has a scooter like storage compartment and is slightly more expensive than DR650 but is a bit more powerful, handles better.

Bike
    xt660r
    the concept is good, but actual adventure style bikes don't really appeal, and then there is the small fact that being 670cc, they aren't a LAMS bike?

and are hardly a lightweight either...

Bike
    Why not a GS650? (BMW). Even a touring bike will go fine on gravel every now and again if that's all you need.

Or just get a motard I'd easily choose a DRZ SM over a DR 650 for the needs you're describing.

Bike
    xt660r
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Or just get a motard I'd easily choose a DRZ SM over a DR 650 for the needs you're describing.

oh don't you worry, I have been considering it ! depending on lowering options and revs at 100k-ish (i'm kind of over having to rev the tits off something to keep it useful)

oh and the matter of the tiny fuel tank, though the 650 is not really much better in that regard!

Bike
    oh don't you worry, I have been considering it ! depending on lowering options and revs at 100k-ish (i'm kind of over having to rev the tits off something to keep it useful)

oh and the matter of the tiny fuel tank, though the 650 is not really much better in that regard!
    Heaps of after market tanks for both the DR and DRZ mate

You can tinker with the sprockets when it comes to gearing as well, so no dramas on those points. You did mention comfort too though and most people have to get after market seats to make that happen.

Bike
    xt660r
    my bad, from a comfort point of view, i was meaning more the seating position etc at the moment, its like they couldn't decide how they wanted to set the bike up, pegs are too far foward, can't adjust the brake lever angle because the reservoir hits the bar mounts etc. its very weird.

dont get me wrong, it's been a really good bike to start on, its just that now i am getting an idea of what i like/not,

but i have heard that those seats are not ideal for the long haul haha.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    You'll love the DR compared to the Ninja if the little 350 is frustrating you.

I started out on a four cylinder FZR250R Exup 17,000rpm screamer, had 4 high powered superbikes in between that and my current DR650 including a brand new injected GSXR.

Overtaking is not a problem if you know how to ride and use momentum and plan overtakes.
    The standard suspension is a bit soft but that is an advantage in itself on our shite roads. On a twisty road where your dreaming of getting your knee don on the ninja you'll be laughing hysterically as you pass sportsbikes around the outside on hairpins, the extra suspension travel means your never really worried about the front tucking.
    The DR is very crash resistant, I've thrown mine about and its cost me nothing repairs except for tweaked bars but thatb was an excuse for nice renthal bars.
    They benefit greatly from an end can but you could cut open the standard pipe and re engineer it to keep it looking lams.
    Lams compliance only matters if you have insurance, moist cops wouldn't know the difference betweena tweaked DR and a standard one, and that's if you get pulled up in first place.
    Just been up top cape reinga and back on mine, no worries at all....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15129.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	327991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cra.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	394.5 KB 
ID:	327992   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V2Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	367.1 KB 
ID:	327993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2376.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	767.3 KB 
ID:	327994  
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Most of the opinions re DR vs KLR stress how the DR is better off road and the KLR is better on road. KLR has bigger tank, better seat, more wind protection. Lowering them is as easy as raising the fork tubes at the front and lowering links (longer dog bones) at the rear. Could do both these things in an hour or so, easy. LAMs versions are available, and like the DR, there is a simply massive aftermarket of accessories and parts.
    People bag the KLR over the doohickey (balancer chain tensioner) like its some sort of fatal affliction that will kill the engine the minute the warranty expires. I counter that with the DR infamous third gear blowup which realy DOES destroy engines.

However both bikes are solid and easy to live with and far more capable than they should be.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    The DR has easy lowering due to having a two position set up on the back shock - shifts the bolt position among other things. Suzuki sold (presume still sell) a silver coloured shorter side stand for them to suit the lower position which is 40mm less seat height than standard.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    xt660r
    thanks for the replies everyone, few things to think about.

interesting to see that there are always different views on the same thing regarding handling etc. People are always going to compare a bike to what they are used to riding, and i suspect there are a few WTF moments when things don't happen the way they expect.! a learning curve every time.
    most bikes are probably capable of much more than they are normally asked to do.

I guess i will just have to find one and have a go.

pretty sure i know somebody with a KLR also, pity about the looks, Blerk!

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    pretty sure i know somebody with a KLR also, pity about the looks, Blerk!
    You cant see the ugliness when you're riding
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries
    Having had a DR sixfiddy a BMW F650g/s and a DRZ400, for the type of riding your talking about you'd be best served with the BMW.

Sent from my HUAWEI RIO-L02 using Tapatalk
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

Bike
    xt660r
    Well i have so far managed to have a bit of a go on a klr, and Im a bit disturbed that i liked it. Except for being a bit top heavy. Might see if i can wrangle a longer test of that.

Definitely keen to try out a drz400 of some description to see how they compare for the sort of riding i normally do. But at least it confirms that i still prefer that "dual sport" / dirt bike riding position etc, which i guess makes sense given my riding history.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I quite enjoy riding my DR650 on the road, it does the job quite well. Shouldn't be too hard to find road tyres or 90/10 road orientated dual sport tyres like the Shinko E705 tyres.

The most fun I ever had with my pants on was riding the DR home after buying it, rode the Gentle Annie, turned around and rode it the other way - super fun motard stylz!
    The best part is the fantastic torque to weight ratio for pulling out of the corners, dude on a thousand CC sports bike that was following couldn't believe how quick I was.

The DR650 has to be one of the best bikes for torque out of the LAMS compliant bikes.

My main recommendation would be to NOT run with the stock seat.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Thread Information