Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motorcycle Apps Are they any good ??

Bike
    https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/idrat...out-gpses/amp/

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Bike
    An article that might interest any dinosaurs out there 🤗☝️☝️...
    But I do give the writer a good pack on the back for something which can be used as good practice... Check a paper map and visualize your trip as it's always handy to keep a map as a backup... Running out of coverage and charge or gas can be troubling.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    It's only 10 years since cellphones started their March toward world domination.

Prior to that people had lives. They didn't need an app to plan their motorcycling.

That said, I'm writing this on a smartphone.

DOH !!!!!

Bike
    2015, Yamaha R3
    Smartphone usage isn't an all or nothing ordeal, though. I think that's where a lot of people get stuck.

Sure, you can use it to wake you up at 4am and then shove it into a RAM mount blocking your console, but allowing you full access to your sweet new iPhone 7-whateveredition feeding you your favorite blips of music between GPS instructions. And it can be quickly removed and used as a camera to fill in your seven social-media followers on your latest sunrise-assisted-roadside-parking-attempt, because for some reason you're out and about and waiting to see the sun come up.

But you don't have to. You can just as easily put it in your pocket, or bag and take it out only when you need to check where a road goes, track down a riding buddy, call for help in an emergency, find the nearest gas station, find the nearest ER, snap a photo of a the Asian lady driving the Kia who took no notice of the stop sign and decided to volunteer her front fender for use as a motorcycle stand. It can even contain your full owners manual and service guide, for every bike/vehicle/appliance/aircraft you own.

There's no doubting a lot of people use them far too much, and should be doing other things instead.. But there's also no doubting they're handy.

Given the option of leaving it at home or taking it with me on a ride.. Answer is obvious, flick it into DnD/Silent throw it in the bag and ride!

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Visit any social arena. Cafe, transport hub, restaurant. You'll see two people sitting at a table both playing with their cellphones.

It's refreshing to just be present with the person you are with. That's social networking.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Can't we do anything without coffee?
    I don't function without coffee....

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo1444 View Post
    LOL... Didn't expect the thread to twist into another subject... All fun & games...
    Smart phones, cars, bikes, houses and smartAss are taking over in what is called disruption inovation..😎 soon your life of freedom will be guided by tech to do three major goals in your pitiful life..( Sleep, shit, and eat)

i can't wait the for 'scan my turd' app

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    I once heard something on the radio (and no, I didn't look into it any further) - something about Oprah Winfrey's (then) latest diet/nutrition book (again, not sure on exact details, didn't really want to know) on how said turds should look (form/shape).

Pretty close to 'scan my turd', if you ask me.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post

Pretty close to 'scan my turd', if you ask me.
    maybe for you, but i don't want to look at them, just forward the pictures on to others.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    www.ratemypoo.com/top.html

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    It's only 10 years since cellphones started their March toward world domination.

Prior to that people had lives. They didn't need an app to plan their motorcycling.

That said, I'm writing this on a smartphone.

DOH !!!!!
    I found the smart phone useful in Vietnam and India for finding out information about the areas, reading the newspapers, Trip

advisor and taking pics, history and so on.

What was less good as you say was everyone was glued to FB and Smartphones in the evening or when stopped for a drink.

Back in the dark ages when you went traveling you were quite isolated from world events and home and you had not already

seen photos of places you were going to visit, find accommodation and read reviews on friggen everything.

Tough one as finding places to stay in foreign countries on the day to stay could take several hours....I suppose that was part

of travelling and it means you have to make an effort to talk to the locals.

I know a couple who toured Morocco for a month and had it all pre booked on line, nigh on meals ordered.

I'd always have a back up paper map as you never know when Google will hold us all to ransom.

Found the translate apps a bit useless..... although there was a good one for scanning the likes of a menu and translating it, helped avoid dogs and porcupines.
    Last edited by Voltaire; 15th August 2017 at 08:22. Reason: added really interesitng stuff
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Thread Information