Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Importing bike from USA?

Bike
    MT-10
    Thanks for the replies very helpful. Headlight adjustment would be an easy fix. Mirrors? Can't tell if serious

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by v twin View Post
    An easy fix usually I think with a bit if reflective tin beside the bulb, just flattens the beam to stop the kick to the right. I did it on mine.
    depends on the era of bike the dipping on my Bimota is all done in the headlight lense, so needed to be replaced completely, easy for an old standard size light, but modern stuff with wrap round lights and fairings may be different.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Thanks for the replies very helpful. Headlight adjustment would be an easy fix. Mirrors? Can't tell if serious
    think they were shaken when they wee a baby.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    You may need to change to the correct, amber, coloured indicator fluid
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    bloody hell,if ya swap the headlight for the tail light on a merrican bike then ya still gonna have the same problim, the light is still gonna shine the rong way. no all ya really gotta do is just turn the headlight round, problem solved. but the other thing ya gotta rememba is the mirrors are gonna be pointin lookin at the rong side of the rode and thats not so easy to fix, ya may have to get new bars so the brakets are on the right side and then ya gotta find right hand drive mirrors to fit a left hand drive bike and if ya look up ebay they are as rear as mary-janes teeth
    You will also need to get a metric power band before customs will release it.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    ..and replace the tires with tyres.

My mate just brought a Kawasaki 1000 CHIPS bike back, if he can get it complied must be pretty easy.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    The compiance guys are really anal. They will pick up on anything at all, that is non-OEM. My DR650 had after market brake cables and they had to be changed, before it could pass - FFS

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    ..and replace the tires with tyres.

My mate just brought a Kawasaki 1000 CHIPS bike back, if he can get it complied must be pretty easy.
    again, round headlight, early eighties dead simple, my bimota is a 1980 SB3 so no worries

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    You will also need to get a metric power band before customs will release it.
    true that, had forgotten about that but at least he can get a different coloured one as he will need to replace it anyway, a nice red one maybe, make the bike go faster

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    true that, had forgotten about that but at least he can get a different coloured one as he will need to replace it anyway, a nice red one maybe, make the bike go faster
    I like the older antique look, like a brass band

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    The compiance guys are really anal. They will pick up on anything at all, that is non-OEM. My DR650 had after market brake cables and they had to be changed, before it could pass - FFS
    When was that though? Was that few years back when the WoF inspectors had their mass panic attack about standards on brake lines?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    When was that though? Was that few years back when the WoF inspectors had their mass panic attack about standards on brake lines?
    That was in 2007. They were overly fussy about everything and it was a nightmare.

In 2008, when I brought my Tiger in from the USA, they couldn't decode the VIN, as mine was the very first of its kind in NZ. So that's another point to check and ensure you are importing an NZ known model. It took a week to get it sorted, but got there in the end.

Swapping the clutch, throttle, and front brake sides, on the handle bars, was a bit tedious; as was changing the sides for the rear brake and gear selector

Bike
    bucket of rusty old Italian bolts
    Who would you recommend for inspection these days? I need 2 bikes I brought from OZ inspected. Rung the usual VTNZ / VINZ / AA, but they all want me to leave the bikes there for a couple of days. Not happening, rare and ultra rare bikes, don't get left unattended. Need someone who is happy for me to hang around while they do the inspection.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MGST View Post
    Who would you recommend for inspection these days? I need 2 bikes I brought from OZ inspected. Rung the usual VTNZ / VINZ / AA, but they all want me to leave the bikes there for a couple of days. Not happening, rare and ultra rare bikes, don't get left unattended. Need someone who is happy for me to hang around while they do the inspection.
    I use Coventry Group in Porana Road.

Bike
    bucket of rusty old Italian bolts
    Recently? How much / how long is the inspection anyway?

Thread Information