Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coming to stop at lights

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I was 5
    A 5 year old man?
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by red_wolf626 View Post
    I've noticed around the city here there are usually green bike (cycle) areas at the front of traffic lights I suppose i could always pull into if there wasn't a suitable gap a few cars back from front, however for now I'll probably just wait in queue lol. Yes I try and be courteous and let people in front of me and so on when I can, unless they are driving like a twat then nope to them haha.
    They're the ones you stay clear of. Yeah, just stay clear. Don't play snooker with cars. Good observation and planning will allow you to keep moving in the traffic as lanes grind to a halt.

The safety gap from the vehicle in front is a biggie, seeing a car roll back towards you is sphincter clenching. Having the car stall, a rarity nowadays, and not being able to ride around it because your too close is very embarrassing. Ride in space and control that space with movement, observation, anticipation and acceleration, or some such. That what I was taught many years ago.

Dunno what the legality of the cycle lanes is, I live in the wops. Stick some pedals onto your footrests?

Being at the front means bugger all, it's just temporary.

Nobody has mentioned loud exhausts yet. I'm a touch amazed.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2016 Aprilia STX 150
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    They're the ones you stay clear of. Yeah, just stay clear. Don't play snooker with cars. Good observation and planning will allow you to keep moving in the traffic as lanes grind to a halt.

The safety gap from the vehicle in front is a biggie, seeing a car roll back towards you is sphincter clenching. Having the car stall, a rarity nowadays, and not being able to ride around it because your too close is very embarrassing. Ride in space and control that space with movement, observation, anticipation and acceleration, or some such. That what I was taught many years ago.

Dunno what the legality of the cycle lanes is, I live in the wops. Stick some pedals onto your footrests?

Being at the front means bugger all, it's just temporary.

Haha i have not experienced the "sphincter clench" and I hope not too- doesn't sound appealing!! and yes totally I'll just put some pedals on foot rests and wear a cyclist helmet- No issues there

And true, the old 'loud pipes save lives'. I do agree within reason, Certainly if people hear you coming they know to lookout for you (I've experienced it in cars hearing a loud rumble and I will look up in mirror to see where they are)

For me as I plan to upgrade bike as I progress through licensing I don't see point buying a exhaust just for a little 150 learners bike...... waste of time and money as far as I'm concerned. Once I get a nice bigger bike that I will want to keep for long i might have a look into it then, definitly think it is good to have (just not over the top where you piss off everyone in the street and shatter windows lol) *Cough* Harley *Cough*

Yeah not too sure of legality either but I will usually move into them if in the front of the queue just because my bike doesn't get picked up by traffic lights if there are no cars beside me, but in the bike area it seems to sense me????

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I fail to understand the confusion. It's a special vehicle lane, like bus, truck etc. Unless you have a bicycle, you may not use the lane...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Honda cb600 Hornet
    I guess you all know the old saying (my dad had it on a t-shirt) - If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride could do.
    (there were silhouettes of different styles of bike punctuating the text, but I am sure this forum doesn't need that kind of agitation, particularly at a time when governments seem fairly keen to regulate the whole motorbike thing out of existence).

afflicts Holden HSV drivers the most - I'm thinking the overpriced Commodore is maybe not quite compensating for a lack of inches.
    hmm - my last commuter bike had 2 kilos pony per pony - I was wondering what I really need on my next commuter bike as this was sometimes, occasionally
    1. overkill
    2. tempting
    3. less frugal (used more fuel than some cars I have owned)

but getting away at lights is a prerequisite for how I ride.

(tongue firmly in cheek alert)
    HSVs (yes different models etc) have about 4.4 kilos per pony, so anything at or less than about 3.5 kilos per pony should be sweet (of course this doesn't take into account low down torque). But then it is also might be useful to take off at the lights quicker than say people (some would use the word wankers) who drive super expensive cars, say a Porsche 918 Spyder, which is about 2 kg per kilo. Wait - there was a McLaren ralley in NZ last year - what if they host it again and I am pulled up next to them at the lights - the P1 has about 1.6 kg per pony, so I guess that is the final offer and the bare minimum needed for a sensible commuter .

Bike
    2016 Aprilia STX 150
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I fail to understand the confusion. It's a special vehicle lane, like bus, truck etc. Unless you have a bicycle, you may not use the lane...

I suppose well motorcyclists can use bus lanes (so long as not 'bus only') so maybe that's where the mix up comes in, what lanes can and can't we use.

Thread Information