Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming to stop at lights

Bike
    2016 Aprilia STX 150

Question Coming to stop at lights

Fairly new rider, when riding about town in traffic no matter how busy i will always stay in the lane behind other cars when coming to a stop. I know many motorcyclist would filter through at this point as the cars are stationary so it is ok to pass them, however the problem with that is once you get to the front of the queue. So the light goes green and if you have a big bike then you can zoom off, but if like me on a 150 a car would easily drive along me so you then have to try and remerge into the traaffic as you were in the middle of lanes from filtering.

This is the one problem I have and is why i havn't tried it yet in traffic as it could become difficult/dangerous trying to get back into lane. However i do think it is a good idea to filter to stop being rear-ended by some distracted idiot as I am harder to spot.

Thanks for your advice and any tips appreciated. How do you do it or do you have any issues taking off and trying to get back in the lane when there are cars around you who are probably annoyed from you trying to get ahead of them and making them move over.

Thanks!!!

Bike
    Yes this is an issue especially with smaller bikes. I usually stay put in traffic as the delay is just couple of minutes and the car in front and behind me already know about my existence on the road. The problem here like my GN125 they're small and do not make much noise... So by the time you try to get Infront of the queue at a traffic light cars can easily accelerate and pass you if you start again from first gear. Unless you do not stop but then that person at the front won't be expecting a motorcycle to jump Infront of him once he starts going so there is a high risk.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Commuting through cities in the UK I got into the habit of filtering through to the rear of the lead car or maybe the 2nd or 3rd car if they left enough gap for me to claim. IIRC it was and maybe is illegal to pass the lead vehicle at lights in the UK. Overtaking at a junction... Doing this also saved my bacon if the lead car is in the wrong lane and turns into your path when the lights change. Seen it happen..

My rule of thumb is to be able to claim space in the queue rather than rely on a drag start when the lights change. I always pay a lot of attention to how drivers behave, if somebody is giving me the evils in their mirror and I see the wheels turn or car move, I stay behind them. Not worth picking a fight with a disgruntled and possibly manic cager. Quite often drivers will actually make space, out of kindness or preserving their mirrors I'm not sure.

So yeah, I'm pretty fluid thinking when it comes to filtering through stationary or slow traffic at lights and junctions. Being courteous and giving cars space to change lanes etc seems to earn bikers brownie point's, too.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Good advice from george formby...

If you are not confident of being able to get away quickly enough for the impatient driver and decide you'd rather stay in the queue - stop so you are in the driver-in-front's mirror, where you can see her/his face and, hopefully, s/he'll see you. Also, keep a close eye on your mirrors and be in first gear, then if the car following looks like it isn't going to stop you can pull forward into the gap between the cars, if you're in multiple lanes, or just pull forward across the centre-line and be out of the "meat-in-the-sandwich" area.

If you are at the front of the queue, make sure you sit where you are giving the clear message "this is my lane" - many would suggest the right wheel track of that lane.

Have you thought about doing one of the bronze level courses from RideForEver? - Urban Rider might be a good starting point.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Also, keep a close eye on your mirrors and be in first gear, then if the car following looks like it isn't going to stop you can pull forward into the gap between the cars, if you're in multiple lanes, or just pull forward across the centre-line and be out of the "meat-in-the-sandwich" area.
    Along with maintaining rear observation, leave a gap in front of you that allows you to get past the car in front, should you need to. This is also useful when stopping on a hill as the vehicle in front may roll backwards before going forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Plus as a learner on a smaller ride also be aware that filtering on your motorcycle often fucks off car drivers who then taken you on at the launch of the green light - and many modern cars are very quick.

I think the above afflicts Holden HSV drivers the most - I'm thinking the overpriced Commodore is maybe not quite compensating for a lack of inches.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Along with maintaining rear observation, leave a gap in front of you that allows you to get past the car in front, should you need to. This is also useful when stopping on a hill as the vehicle in front may roll backwards before going forward.
    What Gremlin said.

Stop at least two bike lengths back from any vehicle you stop behind, and in a wheel track. This gives you the advantages of a forward view, and an escape route if you need it.

And maintain rearward observation until there's someone stopped behind you. Until then, there's a risk.

If there's any doubt about a vehicle behind you stopping, use your escape route.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    This is also useful when stopping on a hill as the vehicle in front may roll backwards before going forward.
    Dateline 1988. I was a baby traffic cop, on an Auckland City Council R80RT. The reg was 5QMJ, that was mine.

I came off the motorway from the Shore at Cook St, and stopped at the Hobson St lights, facing uphill, behind a blue Toyota car. As I sat there, I thought there was something odd about the situation inside the Toyota. Turns out is was being transferred from one panel beaters yard to another, and it had no seats in it. Turns out the driver was sitting on a beer crate.

Lights turned green, driver accelerated, fell off said beer crate. I bailed as I had nowhere to go. the Toyota came to rest on top of 5QMJ.

Where was Gremlins advice in 1988?

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo1444 View Post
    Yes this is an issue especially with smaller bikes. I usually stay put in traffic as the delay is just couple of minutes and the car in front and behind me already know about my existence on the road. The problem here like my GN125 they're small and do not make much noise... So by the time you try to get Infront of the queue at a traffic light cars can easily accelerate and pass you if you start again from first gear. Unless you do not stop but then that person at the front won't be expecting a motorcycle to jump Infront of him once he starts going so there is a high risk.

Also, given the increasingly common yellow and red light crashers coming from side intersections, it's far better to stay back anyway.

Bike
    2016 Aprilia STX 150
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo1444 View Post

Ahhhhhhh yes right. Good old 125 aye.... that was going to be my starter bike but I came across the Aprilia and it looked a bit nicer and only a little bit more expensive so thought why not. Can't wait to upgrade to a bit more power once i'm experienced enough!

Bike
    2016 Aprilia STX 150
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Commuting through cities in the UK I got into the habit of filtering through to the rear of the lead car or maybe the 2nd or 3rd car if they left enough gap for me to claim. IIRC it was and maybe is illegal to pass the lead vehicle at lights in the UK. Overtaking at a junction... Doing this also saved my bacon if the lead car is in the wrong lane and turns into your path when the lights change. Seen it happen..

My rule of thumb is to be able to claim space in the queue rather than rely on a drag start when the lights change. I always pay a lot of attention to how drivers behave, if somebody is giving me the evils in their mirror and I see the wheels turn or car move, I stay behind them. Not worth picking a fight with a disgruntled and possibly manic cager. Quite often drivers will actually make space, out of kindness or preserving their mirrors I'm not sure.

So yeah, I'm pretty fluid thinking when it comes to filtering through stationary or slow traffic at lights and junctions. Being courteous and giving cars space to change lanes etc seems to earn bikers brownie point's, too.

I've noticed around the city here there are usually green bike (cycle) areas at the front of traffic lights I suppose i could always pull into if there wasn't a suitable gap a few cars back from front, however for now I'll probably just wait in queue lol. Yes I try and be courteous and let people in front of me and so on when I can, unless they are driving like a twat then nope to them haha.

Bike
    2016 Aprilia STX 150
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Dateline 1988. I was a baby traffic cop, on an Auckland City Council R80RT. The reg was 5QMJ, that was mine.

I came off the motorway from the Shore at Cook St, and stopped at the Hobson St lights, facing uphill, behind a blue Toyota car. As I sat there, I thought there was something odd about the situation inside the Toyota. Turns out is was being transferred from one panel beaters yard to another, and it had no seats in it. Turns out the driver was sitting on a beer crate.

Lights turned green, driver accelerated, fell off said beer crate. I bailed as I had nowhere to go. the Toyota came to rest on top of 5QMJ.

Aw no RIP 5QMJ
    Good old Auckland drivers aye and nice I'm currently in the process of getting in the force myself. Wouldn't mind getting in the motor unit on the BMW r1200s or the newer Honda somethings....... Once I get through my licensing anyways!

Bike
    2016 Aprilia STX 150
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Good advice from george formby...

If you are not confident of being able to get away quickly enough for the impatient driver and decide you'd rather stay in the queue - stop so you are in the driver-in-front's mirror, where you can see her/his face and, hopefully, s/he'll see you. Also, keep a close eye on your mirrors and be in first gear, then if the car following looks like it isn't going to stop you can pull forward into the gap between the cars, if you're in multiple lanes, or just pull forward across the centre-line and be out of the "meat-in-the-sandwich" area.

If you are at the front of the queue, make sure you sit where you are giving the clear message "this is my lane" - many would suggest the right wheel track of that lane.

Have you thought about doing one of the bronze level courses from RideForEver? - Urban Rider might be a good starting point.

Thanks yes I just learnt about the courses earlier this week. $20 is real good!!! it's a good idea of them. Trying to book inbut the next available one was all fulled up so I'll have to wait till feb :/ Oh well yes I think they would be great to do.

Bike
    2016 Aprilia STX 150
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Plus as a learner on a smaller ride also be aware that filtering on your motorcycle often fucks off car drivers who then taken you on at the launch of the green light - and many modern cars are very quick.

I think the above afflicts Holden HSV drivers the most - I'm thinking the overpriced Commodore is maybe not quite compensating for a lack of inches.

Ahhh yes good old HSV drivers. then there's my personal 'favs'- SUVs and pickup truck drivers. ALWAYS drive all the way up my ass, speed, and drive like a douche. Just what I've come to find (I'm sure there might be some that are fine, not that I've come across though

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I was 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information