Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lane splitting surprise.

Bike
    '17 GSX-R750 L7

Lane splitting surprise.

I asked on my facebook page what most people thought of motorbikes lane splitting to get to the front of intersections etc.
    Most people were pretty good and expressed they had no issues as long as we weren't going too fast.

But one guy took things to a whole new level saying he would intentionally knock someone off their bike for it. What the hell would convince someone to do this?

Chch people, this is the guy who want to watch out for:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 2.08.21 PM.png 
Views:	254 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	328089

Has anyone ever encountered this on the road?

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    I didn't lane split (I don't) but i did use the cycle lane (I do sometimes) to get to the front once at the Dyers Road, Linwood Ave intersection in CH. Guy two lanes over gets out of his car, walks over to me and starts abusing motorcyclists in general. I was in a vulnerable position so didn't provoke him be you can be damned sure I made sure I was two cars in front of him by the time the two lanes merged into one on the other side of the intersection.
    And I haven't seen the door opening trick but I have seen a ute deliberatly swerve into the cycle lane to obstruct a wee GN 125 that was using the cycle lane to get past very slow traffic the week after the Feb 2011 earthquake here.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    '17 GSX-R750 L7
    Interesting. I've never seen someone actually actively do something about it.
    I've had someone beep their horn as I went past (slowly) but that was it.

Interesting thing is, it's not illegal (in most cases)

Bike
    Ktm sd gt
    Not often, but I have had a car try and close the gap while I was creeping through to traffic lights and once on the open road I was making a pass, some guy moved out to push me wide as I went by. Just random dicks, it is becoming more common for car to pull over to help the pass

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I have had a driver open a door to prevent me getting past, more than once, but it's rare. Rare but symptomatic of the headcases that abound on our roads.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    '17 GSX-R750 L7
    It'd be good to have some clear laws around it so that people know for sure.
    I think in most cases, people tend to think it's illegal.

Bike
    2004ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by sopachrga View Post
    Interesting. I've never seen someone actually actively do something about it.
    )
    I have had a door opened on me, ( yes it was on purpose) I stopped in time but while fuckwit had his door open I rode forward into it ( yes on purpose) ( what a c@@t am I ) and bent his door forward on the hinges, needles to say he couldn't close it then I moved back a bit and continued on my way,

Bike
    '17 GSX-R750 L7
    Haha. Nice work!

Bike
    S3
    I asked on my facebook page what most people thought of motorbikes lane splitting to get to the front of intersections etc.
    Most people were pretty good and expressed they had no issues as long as we weren't going too fast.

But one guy took things to a whole new level saying he would intentionally knock someone off their bike for it. What the hell would convince someone to do this?

Chch people, this is the guy who want to watch out for:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 2.08.21 PM.png 
Views:	254 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	328089

Has anyone ever encountered this on the road?

I believe it is the stress of modern day slavery. The reality of it is you are not harming or hindering the cage driver in any way they are just soo stressed out with the shite that is our reality they cannot handle someone not fitting into their perceived little box. In Hamilton rush hour traffic I have people swerve at me as I pass them stuck in a line of traffic not doing the speed limit more times then I can remember, toot as I go past, move over in stopped traffic at lights to try block my path and just generally be upset that I'm not following them and all the other sheeple in their cages. To hell with them I say, they choose to drive a cage and tow the line and follow the heard... Bugger that!!! Live to ride ride to live! be happy and do what you will that does not harm others and if that means screw the ques then so be it I say!
    I hate queues!!!

Bike
    S3
    Quote Originally Posted by WNJ View Post
    I have had a door opened on me, ( yes it was on purpose) I stopped in time but while fuckwit had his door open I rode forward into it ( yes on purpose) ( what a c@@t am I ) and bent his door forward on the hinges, needles to say he couldn't close it then I moved back a bit and continued on my way,
    I have not had that one but I would do as you did, make the muppet think twice about doing it again!
    I hate queues!!!

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Think you will find failing to check mirrors for hazards before opening your door is an offence and passing stationary vehicles is not.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    '17 GSX-R750 L7
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Think you will find failing to check mirrors for hazards before opening your door is an offence and passing stationary vehicles is not.
    Yup, exactly.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    It'd be good to have some clear laws around it so that people know for sure.
    I think in most cases, people tend to think it's illegal.
    Be careful what you wish for. Specific laws could easily make it illegal. All scenarios are already covered by existing laws.

As also said, it is an offence to open a door without making sure the way is clear to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    '17 GSX-R750 L7
    Yeah valid point.

Bike
    Honda
    Could it be, not so much the act that pisses car drivers off, but the speed and subsequent carelessness (in the drivers mind) in which some carry out this biker only advantage. Because lets face it, a lane splitting bike is probably passed a car before the driver even registers it has happened possibly giving the stationary car driver cause for comment.
    '' i'd let you touch me.''

Sorry fulla but I am spoken for.

Thread Information