Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cornering question

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Yup. Not worthy of a quick dab, though. The 20kmh corner before hand is enough to temper the enthusiasm.

Speaking of cornering, has anyone noticed that their are no speed advisory's on gravel road corners? Well, not many. 100kmh road, loose surface, big inclines, hairpins, no caution signs.............. Nirvana.
    Not fair that George! casina could not possibly ride such a road, without speed advisory's and the chance of some stray goats/dog's it'd be too much for them.
    Whangamomonana wasn't that hard, M50, Trumpy 1200, 1250 Bandy, 1000 Versey ( brand new, 2 up) 650 old as but a goodie Katana, least experienced led us all the way, wind amazing, Rain horizontal,campa vans on our sde, you name it, even go ats on the road, none of us fell off or even came close. No feet downs either, metal was good and firm, Nirvana, Oh Yeah, do it your way without help or hinderance from do fucking gooders.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina marquez View Post
    I did not drag my foot for balance but simply tapped it down for a split second.
    See, what youve described there is not a foot out to help you balance the bike but a survival instinct because you lost control of your motorcycle.

Ya know, a mentor could help you with that :-)

Bike
    Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    It was actually another poster who said they did it or recomended doing it and I was just agreeing with them that it worked for me too.
    No one actually recommended riding with your feet down...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	470ad29f69d68e8970189b318e33ea94.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	328114

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckylegs View Post
    See, what youve described there is not a foot out to help you balance the bike but a survival instinct because you lost control of your motorcycle.

Ya know, a mentor could help you with that :-)
    His new found friend Katman would I'm sure be only too pleased to take him out for a group ride and show him some real corners, you know 55K posted! Yea ha.LOL sorry KM, low blow.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Yes took my 750 up the Coronet Peak road years ago but I dont remember if I had to put my foot down for balance or not.
    There is one on the Reefton side of Springs Junction. From Springs it is an uphill right hander ... and traffic coming the other often overshoots because they think it can be done much faster than the advised ..
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Street Triple R
    So, what Freddie Spencer would do would be to do a lot of braking upright then chuck it into the corner under brakes. The front tyre would start to slide and he come off the brake and would then pick up the throttle which would unweight the front tyre (weight transfers to the rear), that would allow him to hold his line, and the now spinning rear would thus give him a tighter line on exit and faster pickup.

So I think you should do that. It worked for him. There's photos - I've attached one. Of note here is that you can see marks on the track where he has done it (and I assume all those ex dirt trackers of his era) lap after lap. Monza I think this was.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FFpushingfront-Freddie-Spencer.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	328121  
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
    No one actually recommended riding with your feet down...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3]
    pssssshhhhhht. i've put excavators in skankier holes. and got em out again, too.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    So, what Freddie Spencer would do would be to do a lot of braking upright then chuck it into the corner under brakes. The front tyre would start to slide and he come off the brake and would then pick up the throttle which would unweight the front tyre (weight transfers to the rear), that would allow him to hold his line, and the now spinning rear would thus give him a tighter line on exit and faster pickup.

So I think you should do that. It worked for him. There's photos - I've attached one. Of note here is that you can see marks on the track where he has done it (and I assume all those ex dirt trackers of his era) lap after lap. Monza I think this was.
    they must be under huge presure to keep up, bet they crash!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Freddie don't need no stinkin letric foolary. All he needed was power!

Bike
    Exercycle
    If you really must put your foot down, make sure you've got boots with a smooth, non grippy sole.
    First thing I learned starting racing on bikes with less clearance than now was how easy it was to have a foot pulled off the rests.
    Leather soles, not rubber, and they'll slide.
    The quote from the racing doctor back a bit about looking for a separated pelvis is very relevant. Happens easily if the boots grab instead of sliding.

But you should hover the foot anyway to maintain balance rather than touch it down.

And Spencer is holding it up on his knee....

Bike
    GSXR1000
    I bet many of the riders on here would over shoot too as I think I am the only one who takes notice of those signs on here.
    Oh we all notice them, just a lot of us don't need a speed advisory sign to tell us how to take a corner safely.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    This is absolutely the best advice. I see you're from Wellington. Look up the Two Bald Bikers website - these guys are seriously good trainers right up to advanced level.
    Agreed 100%

Oh and ignore cassina.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I bet many of the riders on here would over shoot too as I think I am the only one who takes notice of those signs on here.
    If you were to read what the posts actually say, as opposed to what you think they say, you'll see it has been mentioned previously in other threads that the slow speed signs mean what they say.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    I'm surprised none of our

resident tech experts have quoted how many degrees per micro second of improved rate of turn is gained per degree of extra lean angle... it would actually be interesting to know... or is it just the 'vibe'....

Now the really top MotoGP racers dont purposefully get their knee down, in fact for some of them its in the way of even more lean angle!!! Most only use it to briefly prop the fornt end for the few percentages of front end slides that are salvageable.

I had a riding mate who used to frequently get his knee down on the road, he ended up eating more hospital food than me, now thats a relevant measurement....

Done it at the track on GSXR1100, funny thing was my lap times slowed by three seconds a lap as i was too busy playing with knee sliders. As for shifting your body weight, an inch or two in any direction has great effect but whats more important is to have consistant riding style so that on the day the road quality or other drivers actions suddenly doesnt meet the minimum standards you know what your machine will handle in regards of evasive manoevering.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    TF125
    I think I am the only one who takes notice of those signs on here.
    I take notice of advisory speed signs. I almost never match my speed to that being advised but I take notice of the number shown and adapt my riding to suit. Perhaps some of us are just not as one-dimensional as you?

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    I take notice of advisory speed signs. I almost never match my speed to that being advised but I take notice of the number shown and adapt my riding to suit. Perhaps some of us are just not as one-dimensional as you?
    the rule is x 2 +20 in MPH. So, 85 kph is good for 190mph. 35kph is good for 90mph.*

easy peasy and simple to remember.

*its true!
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information