Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cornering question

Bike
    2016 Aprilia STX 150

Question Cornering question

After watching videos of sports bikes take corners (i.e shifting weight in seat, putting knee out, huge lean, knee almost on ground) is this only a way that sports bike should take corners or is this recommended for any bike?

Like I understand that you have to lean into the corners but if you don't have a sports bike is it ok to be going to that extreme angle or should you just do more of a gentle lean?

And also if you are leaning into a corner, is there a speed (too slow) when the bike will just tip over due to forces acting on it not being strong enough? So really you have to take a corner at a decent speed?

Thanks

Bike

Good luck with the force (10 years plus)

Quote Originally Posted by red_wolf626 View Post
    After watching videos of sports bikes take corners (i.e shifting weight in seat, putting knee out, huge lean, knee almost on ground) is this only a way that sports bike should take corners or is this recommended for any bike?

Like I understand that you have to lean into the corners but if you don't have a sports bike is it ok to be going to that extreme angle or should you just do more of a gentle lean?

And also if you are leaning into a corner, is there a speed (too slow) when the bike will just tip over due to forces acting on it not being strong enough? So really you have to take a corner at a decent speed?

Thanks
    All the best for joining the force usually it takes some time to be selected for the motorcycle force (10+) not to put you off, but if that's your goal go for it. considering cornering I think it is not about how much you lean, but what line you take entering a corner and at what speed. spend some time feeling your bike and make sure you are far away from the centre line as you do not want incoming traffic taking your head off. best thing to do is take couple of courses with motorcycletraining website.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Go to the Norwegian Motorcycle Union website and download their book "Full Control" - http://nmcu.org/files/Full%20Control_2013.pdf
    This explains the dynamics of riding.

Have a look at this you tube site: https://www.youtube.com/user/RoadcraftNottingham
    Russ teaches riding in the UK and has a very good style of presentation.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Ask Cassina.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Forget about the GPmoto riders, they're leaning so far (over 60 deg) that they lean to the inside of the curve to make the bike think it's leaning more.

Lean is dependant on the radius of the curve you are following and the speed you're doing. At a certain speed, to turn tighter you lean more. If you're not leaning enough for the curve and speed you're taking then you'll follow a wide path and end up on the other side of the road.

If you want a good series of beginners videos, google "Capt Crash Idaho", he';s got some good instructional videos on facebook.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by red_wolf626 View Post
    any bike, any corner, balls to the wall, limit of control. Pin it to win it.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Guys that get their knee down do it so they can corner a tight line at the highest possible speed. If you are not confident with cornering you should not be attempting this on the road but rather learn it at a riding school on a race track.
    PROMISING !!!

When learning cornering speeds look for corners that have speed advisory signs on them and try and aim to corner at that speed. You will have to lean your bike at the speed but not so much that you would need to get your knee down. On really tight bends (eg 20km) you can end up slowing down to a point where balancing is challenging, having a bike with good low down torque will help you there. Maybe get a riding lesson on windy roads as well. Good luck.
    But then you go and do that.... I'm giving you some credit for your start, but overall, it's

C-

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Oh goody, I can get my soap box out. The best thing I have done to help my understanding of cornering dynamics is moto gymkhana practice. Safe, challenging and teaches all aspects of cornering without the fear of sliding off the road into the scenery.

Type moto gymkhana CBR 600 into youtube for a treat. I don't want to re post an old vid.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Kawasaki
    On really tight bends (eg 20km) you can end up slowing down to a point where balancing is challenging, having a bike with good low down torque will help you there.
    At that point you should just be able to put your feet down to aid you until you're around the corner.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Yes I have done that myself but from what I have read it is not something riding schools approve of riders doing when cornering on the road.

OP Red-Wullif, this putting a foot down thing is a crash rescue attempt, I'm sure the first mention of it was tongue in cheek, this quote, not so much. Even on a small bike you could be saying "ankle, meet surgeon, he's bigger than Ben Hur and has cast thousands...". The only place for this is on a dirt track with ALL the appropriate safety gear and a lot of practice.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Yes I have done that myself but from what I have read it is not something riding schools approve of riders doing when cornering on the road.
    Please for the love of God tell me that you are being Sarcastic or are Trolling.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Kawasaki

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    If you read post 1 again he mentions the risk of coming off if cornering too slow and the other poster and myself were thinking of say a very tight 20km bend where the other poster suggested putting a foot down for balance if necessary. You must be from a riding school to think the way you do and when i did try it on a very tight slow bend once it was a painless experience. Had I not done that I would have lost my balance and come off at the speed I was traveling.

I will stick by what I posted and the solution to slow corners I posted earlier. If you had said u-turn it may have had some credence even though footing a bike around shows a lack of confidence and possibly technique.

I notice a wee vid of the foot in corner technique has been posted....
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    Or needing to put a foot down could be seen as a safe alternative to risk dropping the bike if you dont have enough speed up on a tight bend.
    U Turn yes, normal tight paved corner no.

Tight gravel corner yes, although this is questionable as balance is affected negatively not having both feet on pegs.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    reminds me of a thread - http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...orner.1089037/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	short_skills_sm.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	328108  

Thread Information