Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Cornering question

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Speaking of cornering, has anyone noticed that their are no speed advisory's on gravel road corners? Well, not many. 100kmh road, loose surface, big inclines, hairpins, no caution signs.............. Nirvana.
    That's because the surface condition can vary widely so what is good for 85km/h one week may only be good for 45km/h the week after once the road has been butchered by a few milk tankers and farmers doing farmer stuff. This actually makes drivers/riders think about the corner ahead which is a good thing rather than blindly adhering to what the advisory speed says as some would recommend.

OP ->
    Step 1 - turn the computer off
    Step 2 - go and ride
    Step 3 - get some lessons if you feel you need them

I am struggling to think back to when I started to ride but by the sound of your questions you never rode a push bike as a child? If you had you should know the answers to all of your questions.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    I do hope that the OP found something useful in the replies.

Speed advisory signs should only ever be taken as a guide. They do not always relate to what is a safe speed for the corner, but can take into account visibility and hidden intersections.

On some roads, they seem to be used to try to slow traffic rather than being related to a safe corner speed. The road from Dome Valley to Mangawhai is an example of this, where some 45 corners can be taken faster than those marked 65.

Sometimes the advisory speeds are too high depending on conditions. Try the Kopu-Hikuai road in winter when there is ice on the road!

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    On here? I wouldn't have thought so, as past threads would prove, it is mostly just a whole lot of different opinions put forward that primarily invites others to largely disagree.
    '' i'd let you touch me.''

Sorry fulla but I am spoken for.

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    I'm always very cautious on a road I don't know, doing advised speeds on the corner or slightly above. Some corners tighten, the one on the Okains Bay road on the Akaroa Harbour side is one of such corners, I think that one in particular has killed a few people including a Unimog driver a while ago.

It is interesting riding on roads that don't have advisory speeds, e.g. the Summit Road, keeps your wits about you that's for sure, added bonus is the grit.

Bike
    2016 Aprilia STX 150
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    Also, wolfy, since you're not to know, but cassina is a grade-A fuckwit and nothing it ever says should be taken seriously ever.

this is for your own safety. cassina has crashed over9000 times. (and failed to learn a damn thing from it, next crash in 3...2...)
    please, for the love of god do not take it seriously.

also, i'm picking you're young and internetty.
    watching videos on youtube will not learn you to ride.

hahahaha I'll keep that in mind then (sorry cass)
    And yeah I know a thing or two about the intraweb, have been watching videos but nothing teaches you as much as actually been out there and doing it.

Plus everyones gonna have different ways of doing things and some might be.... well shit so haha. Looking into doing a ride forever course so yeah

Bike
    2016 Aprilia STX 150
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post

Speed advisory signs should only ever be taken as a guide. They do not always relate to what is a safe speed for the corner, but can take into account visibility and hidden intersections.

On some roads, they seem to be used to try to slow traffic rather than being related to a safe corner speed. The road from Dome Valley to Mangawhai is an example of this, where some 45 corners can be taken faster than those marked 65.

Sometimes the advisory speeds are too high depending on conditions. Try the Kopu-Hikuai road in winter when there is ice on the road!

Looks like I started something controversial......

Well yes after sifting through many replies i think I've found some good stuff. Cheers guys

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Any thread on KB is likely to be like this! But there are some members here who's posts are good value.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by trufflebutter View Post
    On here? I wouldn't have thought so, as past threads would prove, it is mostly just a whole lot of different opinions put forward that primarily invites others to largely disagree.
    Then you're reading the wrong threads. GBR and R&R are only the surface of KB.

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Then you're reading the wrong threads. GBR and R&R are only the surface of KB.
    Yes I agree, fuck that didn't hurt and I feel really good about it, very liberating
    '' i'd let you touch me.''

Sorry fulla but I am spoken for.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I bet there are far more riders in the cemetery as a result of exceeding the recomended speed on bends than those sticking to it. If poster 1 takes your advice as a beginner rider they will likely end up in the cemetery too.
    And how many crashes have you had? This speaks directly to the credibility of your road riding knowledge ..

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Step one to riding your new motorcycle: Don't ask KB how to ride it ........

Ironically one of the really annoying things I see on the road is someone hanging off the seat, knee out and they are going slow around a corner ....... like posted speed slow! WTF.
    Yes. I was on Hampton DOwns one day when the officials asked the people who were hanging off the side with knees donw to please stop, as they are holding up the faster riders.

Getting off the side is not necessarily faster ..

Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Where I do drag my feet is if I am in real slow bumper to bumper traffic where the speed is too slow to balance with my feet on the pegs. I
    Huh? I can balance on any forward movement. Your balance skills on a motorcycle are severely lacking ..

Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post

Done it at the track on GSXR1100, funny thing was my lap times slowed by three seconds a lap as i was too busy playing with knee sliders.
    Exactly. Hanging off the side is not necessarily faster .. it does take practice to get it right - and until you get it right it will be slower ..

I never do it. I don't practise it and I can corner at more tan 200 klicks without doing it - why bother? Unless you are a racer ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    why bother? Unless you are a racer ..
    Cause Everyone knows that a Well executed Corner with the Knee down will instantly moisten all the underwear of every lady within a 2 Km radius.

Getting the Elbow down will actually cause the Underwear to spontaneously remove itself.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Lean angle is proportionately linked to both power supplied to the bike, and the speed the bike is doing.

You can use a greater lean angle by having greater speed, or by using greater power which is prevented from turning into speed by using the back brake.

These things are kind of advanced, as without a whole bunch of riding, they lack context.

Basically, if you are new, taking tips from the Moto GP channel isn't a good idea. Or taking tips from here on KB either.

Tips given briefly and without in depth context can easily be taken badly.

Bike
    Kawasaki
    Great, now a new rider is going to try and go faster around a corner so that they can lean more...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
    Great, now a new rider is going to try and go faster around a corner so that they can lean more...
    It's interesting coaching total beginners. They are so scared of leaning the bike they try to go around corners without leaning it, so slowly that it is painful to watch. Trying to ride at 5 - 10 kmh around a corner in the basic handling skills test is just hard to watch. Doing it at 15 to 20 and things flow. 15 to 20 is "faster" than 5 to 10, but it's still not fast.

"Faster" is a relative thing. I don't want beginners to ride fast around corners. But I want them to develop the confidence that if they give the bike momentum, leaning it proportional to the momentum isn't a problem.

Combine that with looking where you want to go, decent throttle control, and head and eyes up, and cornering as a beginner gets easier.

It just takes time to develop that confidence. And saintly patience from the poor beggar trying to coach someone how to do it.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    It's interesting coaching total beginners. They are so scared of leaning the bike they try to go around corners without leaning it, so slowly that it is painful to watch. Trying to ride at 5 - 10 kmh around a corner in the basic handling skills test is just hard to watch. Doing it at 15 to 20 and things flow. 15 to 20 is "faster" than 5 to 10, but it's still not fast.

"Faster" is a relative thing. I don't want beginners to ride fast around corners. But I want them to develop the confidence that if they give the bike momentum, leaning it proportional to the momentum isn't a problem.

Combine that with looking where you want to go, decent throttle control, and head and eyes up, and cornering as a beginner gets easier.

It just takes time to develop that confidence. And saintly patience from the poor beggar trying to coach someone how to do it.
    I want to do the course where I get to push the front and do knee saves like my hero Freddie Spencer. Thats one of yours, eh?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information