Thread: Woodstock Hokitika 2017

Bike
    my little pony

Woodstock Hokitika 2017

Woodstock Hokitika this weekend for the few of us still ride motorbikes , and enjoy a bevy or three.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I see the Arthurs like was opened today. But they are worried about the next bout of rain tomorrow ...

Bike
    ES XTZ
    I'll prolly end up waiting for 50 mins in the rain cause I just missed the 10min window each hour...
    if its not cleared by Friday

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Well seeing theres 1/2 in of rain falling up there now & they've already had a couple of inches overnight along with severe winds ( 170km/h + gusts recorded just after 3am this morning) that slip could well be knackered again

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    I think it's going to be a wait and see until Friday to find out if there's a road to get there or not.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Aren't summers just great....?
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    my little pony
    Well bugger me, went to start the blade, hasn't moved since returning from the burt munro. Battery on its last gasps, failed to crank, jump started from the car, cranking till the starter must have been smoking. Smell of fuel, flooded or wet plugs, 3 hours later got it to fire. Ran like the main bearings were shot, 2 month old fuel . Went and gased up, air in the tyres and runs sweet as. Honda legendary reliability was seriously questioned.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    So...managed to make the 'window' in the dry and only waited 10mins
    The return on Sunday the road was clear enough for free flow traffic either way

Fantastic weekend over at the rally, the weather gods took pity on the coasters and us riders

Awesome fireworks and a well run rally, just some annoying mud at the entrance and exit.

Bike
    '99 Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    Well bugger me, went to start the blade, hasn't moved since returning from the burt munro. Battery on its last gasps, failed to crank, jump started from the car, cranking till the starter must have been smoking. Smell of fuel, flooded or wet plugs, 3 hours later got it to fire. Ran like the main bearings were shot, 2 month old fuel . Went and gased up, air in the tyres and runs sweet as. Honda legendary reliability was seriously questioned.
    You would have fuel fouled the plugs on first attempt to start on a very depleted battery output, then it took heaps of cranking to get air through the combustion chambers to dry the plugs enough to get a spark happening. If you had removed the plugs when the first attempt of cranking failed, and cleaned and dried them, then refit and connect jumper leads it would have fired and ran properly.
    Moral of story........ get yourself a battery tender and/or a new battery, check charge rate and none of these problems arise.

Bike
    my little pony
    Yep katoom I do have a battery tender but it was on my zx9r moto batt battery. Unfortunately taking the plugs out of a fire blade is not easy as it seams. It pinked for quite a while and then returned to the awesome bike it is.

Bike
    '99 Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    Yep katoom I do have a battery tender but it was on my zx9r moto batt battery. Unfortunately taking the plugs out of a fire blade is not easy as it seams. It pinked for quite a while and then returned to the awesome bike it is.
    'Pinking' is actually 'pinging', a term used for pre-ignition, aka detonation. What you heard would have been misfiring caused by the plugs shorting to ground until the heat of combustion eventually cleaned the carbon from the porcelain insulator. It's the carbon on the insulator that causes the plug to short to ground instead of firing across to the earth bar on the end of the plug. Hope this helps to clear up any misunderstandings you may have re why your motor ran the way it did.
    You really need to get another tender for the Blade, being prepared is well worth it!

Thread Information