Thread: Drive Belt Wear

Bike
    2013 Hyosung ST7

Drive Belt Wear

Would anyone be able to shed some light on what would cause root cracking on a drive belt? I've had a look online and I can't seem to find anything about bike belts & wear that gives any good info. Mostly Harley owners trading blows with diehard chain fans.

I just happened to look at the belt on my bike from a different angle and every single tooth has started to crack on the "inside" nearest the engine. Belt I believe was replaced for an aftermarket one by the previous owner but even if it was stock/factory new it has less than 40k km's on it. My knowlege of belts says that they typically last a lot longer, yanks say about 80k MILES unless they're damaged by foreign debris or poorly installed. Took it to the dealership for a service 4k km's ago and they did some belt tensioning so unless the shop over-tensioned it??. Just by looking there's no wear that indicates misalignment. Hard to tell how the pulleys are wearing as I need to get the belt off first to check them out.

Given it's almost all the teeth I kind of feel it's either a crap belt or there's something else amiss, I'm kinda leaning toward the dealership over tensioned it, but I really can't see that happening. Expensive, yes but not idiots. Just checking to see if there's another failure mode I may not have foreseen so I don't do it to the next belt. These bastards are expensive. Dealer wanted $568 NZD for it one, plus $200 in labour. $340 shipped from old mate Kim in North Korea. Last time I ever use a bike shop up here. Charged me $70 for a few litres of oil on my first and last service with them too.

Cheers for any insight on belt wear & care

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    belt drive is dumb bro, convert it to sprockets and chain oi

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    belts should last a long time.....if you don't pick up sharp stones etc.....
    easy 100.000 kms on a Harley on good roadsurface conditions.
    Belts do get tired with age/ sun etc....
    also you shouldn't have belt to tight.....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan

Drive Belt Wear

Try Harleywrecker nz on Facebook, a bloke called Barry. Got a brand new belt for $212 delivered to my door for my machine. For ya own belt, save some coins.

Btw, I only got 28k outta my belt, fooked through stone damage and splits and it was a quality item too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    belt drive is dumb bro, convert it to sprockets and chain oi
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/63782398.jpg

ya fucken dumb ass cracker.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    Pffft....
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Might help if you state your bike - most will presume a HD but your profile says a Ho-bag.

If it's only slight hairline 'cracking' on one side of the belt teeth it may be totally normal - one side will take a pounding.

Pop into your local dealer and see if it is the same on used bikes in their shop. Heck even ask them ....

Plus you also implied you purchased a half price one from China. Could be the perceived savings is actually going to be more expensive if the cheap-arse aftermarket one only last a third of the life of a genuine or quality one.

Plus - years back my brother had a belt drive Z440 Kawaka (around 1983-4) if you tightened it too much you'd know by the sound when riding slowly.

Also when adjusted correctly every now and then it would sequel when hot (as in you've been riding a hour or so) - he took it into the shop and they put a few 'puffs' of talc on it! Worked a charm.

Smelt better too.

Thread Information