Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tomtom or zumo

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Im right in thinking a Car GPS with a resistive screen will work with gloves?
    To answer my own question, yes they do. I bought one of these today, https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/p...rod135822.html

If it doesnt work out it can live in the car.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Just thought I'd mention something I thought about today.

A motorcycle GPS slots in and out of a powered mount. Most car GPS have a USB cable you plug into the GPS itself.

It's a PITA that I don't miss when using my motorcycle specific units.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Just thought I'd mention something I thought about today.

A motorcycle GPS slots in and out of a powered mount. Most car GPS have a USB cable you plug into the GPS itself.

It's a PITA that I don't miss when using my motorcycle specific units.
    I can put up with that to save $600.

Money better spent on a Quickshifter.

Bike
    Ktm sd gt
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I can put up with that to save $600.

Money better spent on a Quickshifter.
    Yip I'm with you on this one except I am wanting a new zorst..

Having said that I did just buy a car garmin 50lm for 150 from Noel leeming, the garmin does have better function that the tomtom.

I have the same tomtom you have just picked up, worked fine riding upto Waipu over Xmas but kept turning off and loosing charge on a trip up the 22, we were keeping a reasonable pace and things were getting knocked around.i put it down to vibes and connection. I have improved the mount also. The tom tom works fine in the car still though.... I'm not saying you will have trouble though, could just be my riding, my bike and the road....will see how the new unit goes.

Bike
    2010 Kawasaki Concours ZG1400
    I've been using a Garmin Nuvi 760 for many years now without problems on the bike.
    This is a car unit. I bought it second hand on Trade Me for $70.00. It's been on three different motorbikes, many cars and half way around the world and back.
    It's been through light rain without issues and without any additional waterproofing. Being an older unit is doesn't have to ability to connect to my Sena bluetooth intercom directly even though the unit has bluetooth which only works for hands free calling when used in the car. So I bought a little bluetooth transmitter for 5 bucks that plugs into the earphone jack on the GPS which does allow the unit to speak to me through my intercom.
    But most of the time I just follow the on screen instructions in silence. Using the open source NZ maps (for which I was a contributor early on in the piece) I find I get plenty of on screen warning for upcoming turns.
    I would find it hard to justify spending many hundreds of dollars on a motorcycle specific GPS when this trusty old Nuvi works so well.

Bike
    Sold
    [QUOTE=Cloggy;1131029257]But most of the time I just follow the on screen instructions in silence. Using the open source NZ maps (for which I was a contributor early on in the piece) I find I get plenty of on screen warning for upcoming turns.
    [QUOTE]

Good point! The old Garmin on my bike has no bluetooth capability but like you, a quick eyeball of the map presents no difficulty whatsoever. I use a Sena for bike to bike comms too but rarely have Bluetooth enabled for phone or music as riding is my quiet time and find plenty to keep my interest up without distractions. Different in the car though.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Good point! The old Garmin on my bike has no bluetooth capability but like you, a quick eyeball of the map presents no difficulty whatsoever. I use a Sena for bike to bike comms too but rarely have Bluetooth enabled for phone or music as riding is my quiet time and find plenty to keep my interest up without distractions. Different in the car though.[/QUOTE]

My 220 has bluetooth but I never use it. As you say, a quick eyeball does the trick.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    the best one
    I use strictly my phone as a GPS.
    Most modern phones have GPS antennas built in and only use cell towers to pin point your location faster.
    I use HERE maps (ex Nokia) which are free and can be downloaded and stored in your phone. You download by region (NZ, Australia, US or state, etc etc). You can do same with google but I think HERE works better as it has easy to find POI's, speed reading etc.
    If I am roaming overseas I turn my mobile data off and off I go - no roaming charges (just make sure you downloaded the region map)
    I use a 13000mha power pack which cost me ~$200 to keep the phone charged. Charges my iPhone x8 fully. Sits in the tank bag, no need for wiring etc. Can charge cameras other devices etc. If I stay at a hotel an overnight charge will get it almost full.
    Most phones have bluetooth so it can hook up to your helmet comms etc. I just use noise reducing headphones which just reduces the wind chime in my helmet

Thread Information