Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Harley Day Out

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Years ago I read a test of a Harley, the tester was discussing (moaning?) about how difficult this was. He pointed out that testers have to be consistent with the language they use each time, so that as near as possible, comments they make can be understood to have a set meaning and can be used to make meaningful comparisons. This is just not possible with Harleys. Words normally used to describe handling, cornering, braking, performance, economy, etc, become completely irrelevant when applied to Harleys.

While that might make it difficult for the testers, most Harley owners probably don't care about those things anyway. That's not why they bought the bike.

I certainly can not be described as experienced but I was surprised when I found the only HD I have ridden handles good enough for me, and brakes well, twin front discs and the rear disc pull up the 310kg Fat Bob reasonably efficiently, mind you it has been stated that the Fat Bob Dyna is one of the better handling HDs, but yep economy and performance is probably low against a Ninja ZX14 or Hayabusa GXS1300 aye.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    I certainly can not be described as experienced but I was surprised when I found the only HD I have ridden handles good enough for me, and brakes well, twin front discs and the rear disc pull up the 310kg Fat Bob reasonably efficiently, mind you it has been stated that the Fat Bob Dyna is one of the better handling HDs, but yep economy and performance is probably low against a Ninja ZX14 or Hayabusa GXS1300 aye.
    I'll drop a wee review of my thoughts of the HD after the course. I'm not a professional reviewer, but I'm honest enough to know what I like and don't.

Most people who are critical of Harleys haven't ridden one at all, if any. Most just regurgitate what their mates want to hear.

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I'll drop a wee review of my thoughts of the HD after the course. I'm not a professional reviewer, but I'm honest enough to know what I like and don't.

Most people who are critical of Harleys haven't ridden one at all, if any. Most just regurgitate what their mates want to hear.

Appreciate that,

I have been told there can be quite a variance in handling etc between their range of models.

Someone in the know maybe able to explain the differences between the Dyna, softail, sportsters, super glides etc. ( but then there is also a range of bikes in each of those models)

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    I followed a group of Harleys through the Victoria Park tunnel a couple of weeks ago on my way home from work. The noise was unbelievable. I've never heard anything quite like it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    While that might make it difficult for the testers, most Harley owners probably don't care about those things anyway. That's not why they bought the bike.
    oh yeah no doubt. i'm very much live-and-let-live and whatever you want to spend your jewgolds on is entirely your problem. (though the noise pollution could be argued as "fucking cunty")

just don't try telling me your "bike" (tractor) is anything other than what it is. (a slow, poor handling, generally dangerous, very shiny, piece of shit)

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Most just regurgitate what their mates want to hear.
    what if they have no mates?

hey... harleys have low down torque (or talk...) don't they??

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    I have been told there can be quite a variance in handling etc between their range of models.

Someone in the know maybe able to explain the differences between the Dyna, softail, sportsters, super glides etc. ( but then there is also a range of bikes in each of those models)
    HD models are all sub groups of the diff engine/chassis config. In the Big engine range, you have the Dynas (FXDF, FXD, FXDL FXDC etc etc), all have their engine mounted on rubber blocks to isolate the vibration.

Then you have the FLH family (FLHR, FLHTCU, FLHX etc etc), once again, rubber mounted engine, buy very diff to the Dyna in the chassis.

Last but not least, you have the Softail family (FLSTF, FLSTC, FXSTC etc etc). The Softail family have a diff engine to the rubber mount models. They use two counter rotating balace shafts to reduce vibration, so mount their engines directly to the chassis, as the rubber mounts aren't needed. This makes their chassis tighter than the rubber mounted jobs, and their best handling big engine one. In the Softail family, a model with FL at the beginning means it's got the fat front tyre, and any model that starts with FX is the 21" front wheel.

People will argue the point until they're blue in the face that the Dyna's handle better. But that's ok. We can all be wrong sometimes.

Sportys used to be rigid mounted engines, but in 2004, they rubber mounted them. The handle better than the big boys.

The V-Rod family is a whole diff kettle of tuna.

Hope that helps a lil!

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Loudest bike I've ever heard was just a couple of weeks back. Ducati Monster 600.

The guy had straight pipes, and clearly had taken even the slightest hint of mufflers out of them.

Loudest pipes I've ever heard. Knob end.

Harleys have to meet noise legislation regulations like every other bike when first produced.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/wa...-for-exhausts/

Like everything, it's the modifications that produce the big noise.

I commented to the guy on the Ducati that if loud pipes save lives, his could bring people back from the dead.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    HD models are all sub groups of the diff engine/chassis config. In the Big engine range, you have the Dynas (FXDF, FXD, FXDL FXDC etc etc), all have their engine mounted on rubber blocks to isolate the vibration.

Then you have the FLH family (FLHR, FLHTCU, FLHX etc etc), once again, rubber mounted engine, buy very diff to the Dyna in the chassis.

Last but not least, you have the Softail family (FLSTF, FLSTC, FXSTC etc etc). The Softail family have a diff engine to the rubber mount models. They use two counter rotating balace shafts to reduce vibration, so mount their engines directly to the chassis, as the rubber mounts aren't needed. This makes their chassis tighter than the rubber mounted jobs, and their best handling big engine one. In the Softail family, a model with FL at the beginning means it's got the fat front tyre, and any model that starts with FX is the 21" front wheel.

People will argue the point until they're blue in the face that the Dyna's handle better. But that's ok. We can all be wrong sometimes.

Sportys used to be rigid mounted engines, but in 2004, they rubber mounted them. The handle better than the big boys.

The V-Rod family is a whole diff kettle of tuna.

Hope that helps a lil!
    It's all a bit bewildering. If you go looking at their website, it's all about cool names. Model designations don't get a mention.

Road King = ?
    Street Glide = ?

Bike
    Various things
    It's all a bit bewildering. If you go looking at their website, it's all about cool names. Model designations don't get a mention.

Road King = ?
    Street Glide = ?
    FLHR

FLHX

All the FLH family have the forks behind the steering head, which is a bit odd. Supposed to give them lighter steering at low speeds, due to some of the FLH family having the very heavy bat wing fairings handle bar mounted. Feels scary at high speeds, although the later model ones are far better than the earlier ones. They've at least mounted the forks in the top triple clamp properly now.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    It's true - a stock HD is a fairly quiet beast nowdays.

Interesting Triumph has increased the sound on their latest bonnie - the earlier one was pathetic sounding with stock pipes.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    . They've at least mounted the forks in the top triple clamp properly now.
    and it's only taken them 120 years in business to catch up..

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    and it's only taken them 120 years in business to catch up..
    Aye. Interestingly enough..they seem to be heading back to the dark old days of AMF. I see they just told ANZA that their HD franchise is all over end of April I think. Pretty fucking harsh.

Bike
    Klx250s
    I picked up a 99 rigid mounted engine sportster a few months back.
    But it's a sportster sport.
    Not custom or hugger/low or iron or blah blah.
    Tell you what it's got the best factory options of the sportys for sure.
    Fully adjustable showa forks and piggyback nitrogen rear shock.
    Having preload compression and rebound is a nice option.
    Either way. I quite like it.
    Small frame
    Big motor.
    Not real fast bug it's fun.
    That counts to me

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu999c View Post
    I picked up a 99 rigid mounted engine sportster a few months back.
    But it's a sportster sport.
    Not custom or hugger/low or iron or blah blah.
    Tell you what it's got the best factory options of the sportys for sure.
    Fully adjustable showa forks and piggyback nitrogen rear shock.
    Having preload compression and rebound is a nice option.
    Either way. I quite like it.
    Small frame
    Big motor.
    Not real fast bug it's fun.
    That counts to me
    Yep. They're a good model mate. I have a soft spot for sporties having raced them a bit.

Thread Information