Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Harley Day Out

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    HD models are all sub groups of the diff engine/chassis config. In the Big engine range, you have the Dynas (FXDF, FXD, FXDL FXDC etc etc), all have their engine mounted on rubber blocks to isolate the vibration.

Then you have the FLH family (FLHR, FLHTCU, FLHX etc etc), once again, rubber mounted engine, buy very diff to the Dyna in the chassis.

Last but not least, you have the Softail family (FLSTF, FLSTC, FXSTC etc etc). The Softail family have a diff engine to the rubber mount models. They use two counter rotating balace shafts to reduce vibration, so mount their engines directly to the chassis, as the rubber mounts aren't needed. This makes their chassis tighter than the rubber mounted jobs, and their best handling big engine one. In the Softail family, a model with FL at the beginning means it's got the fat front tyre, and any model that starts with FX is the 21" front wheel.

People will argue the point until they're blue in the face that the Dyna's handle better. But that's ok. We can all be wrong sometimes.

Sportys used to be rigid mounted engines, but in 2004, they rubber mounted them. The handle better than the big boys.

The V-Rod family is a whole diff kettle of tuna.

Hope that helps a lil!

Thanks for that very clear explanation, From what I have noticed, the owners of the differing species all appear to be very proud of their bikes.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Aye. Interestingly enough..they seem to be heading back to the dark old days of AMF. I see they just told ANZA that their HD franchise is all over end of April I think. Pretty fucking harsh.
    wel buell could have been their saviour but they're "focusing on core branding"

odd focus, i'd think making bikes should have been right up there.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    wel buell could have been their saviour.

Never. Too quirky and Mericans did not buy them.

If you think about the Harley Buell it was kind of pointless - just buy a European twin sporty ride. It was meant to be the American sport bike - turns out American wants USA cruisers and foreign sport bikes.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Okay, so yesterday we had the Harley Street 500 Ride Forever Course in Christchurch. For the day I had the attached bike as my instructors bike.

I had the bike all the day before, so had a chance to spend some time on it. Here are some thoughts arising from that, and from the course itself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170211_184926.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	806.8 KB 
ID:	328468

I don't think I'll be buying a Harley any time soon. But that's not about the bike, it's about me. I prefer the bike I have, and the general culture around that brand. I can say that the Street Glide is a real pleasure to ride, and it sure does all the stuff Harley wants it to. For the record, it handles well, accelerates like a freight train (1745 cc does that), and has the cool factor dripping from it when stopped at lights. When it's parked up, lots of people stop and want to chat. Including the whole range of society, from toothless shit kickers to retired accountants.

It strikes me that the people most critical of Harleys are those who haven't taken the time to ride one for any extended period of time. I used the same techniques for riding a cone course as I normally do, and once you get used to the weight of the bike, it handled really well. I could throw it into a tight corner, and it rode beautifully. I could get used to the sound of it too, Screaming Eagle exhausts sounded cool. Of course, they get louder as you take the guts out of them, as people do, but it's not bad in standard form. Basically, I enjoyed riding the bike.

It strikes me that it takes skill to get the most from bikes. A sports bike rider wanting a Harley to handle like his Fireblade will likely be critical. But if he accepts that it's not a Fireblade, and ride it as it is (a cruiser, or "bagger", apparently), he is likely to enjoy the ride more. He will then decide it's not the bike for him, as he prefers sports bikes, but that doesn't mean the Harley isn't an awesome bagger/cruiser.

Of course, then he'll pop onto KB and slag the Street Glide for not doing what his Fireblade can do. It is KB, after all.

In regard to the course, we had nine Street 500s on course, and one Fat Boy. Ridden by a woman. It was no different to any group of riders, some new, some experienced, some confident, some not. I note that Harley owners are more likely to wear Harley gear, but I've seen no shortage of Ducati riders in Ducati gear either.

Black is the preferred colour of riding gear for most motorcyclists, and yesterdays group is no exception.

It's been fun. The Street Classic goes back tomorrow, and I've got a new found respect for Harleys as an excellent example of what they are, and what they mean to the people who love them.

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Okay, so yesterday we had the Harley Street 500 Ride Forever Course in Christchurch. For the day I had the attached bike as my instructors bike.

I had the bike all the day before, so had a chance to spend some time on it. Here are some thoughts arising from that, and from the course itself.

I don't think I'll be buying a Harley any time soon. But that's not about the bike, it's about me. I prefer the bike I have, and the general culture around that brand. I can say that the Street Glide is a real pleasure to ride, and it sure does all the stuff Harley wants it to. For the record, it handles well, accelerates like a freight train (1745 cc does that), and has the cool factor dripping from it when stopped at lights. When it's parked up, lots of people stop and want to chat. Including the whole range of society, from toothless shit kickers to retired accountants.

It strikes me that the people most critical of Harleys are those who haven't taken the time to ride one for any extended period of time. I used the same techniques for riding a cone course as I normally do, and once you get used to the weight of the bike, it handled really well. I could throw it into a tight corner, and it rode beautifully. I could get used to the sound of it too, Screaming Eagle exhausts sounded cool. Of course, they get louder as you take the guts out of them, as people do, but it's not bad in standard form. Basically, I enjoyed riding the bike.

It strikes me that it takes skill to get the most from bikes. A sports bike rider wanting a Harley to handle like his Fireblade will likely be critical. But if he accepts that it's not a Fireblade, and ride it as it is (a cruiser, or "bagger", apparently), he is likely to enjoy the ride more. He will then decide it's not the bike for him, as he prefers sports bikes, but that doesn't mean the Harley isn't an awesome bagger/cruiser.

Of course, then he'll pop onto KB and slag the Street Glide for not doing what his Fireblade can do. It is KB, after all.

In regard to the course, we had nine Street 500s on course, and one Fat Boy. Ridden by a woman. It was no different to any group of riders, some new, some experienced, some confident, some not. I note that Harley owners are more likely to wear Harley gear, but I've seen no shortage of Ducati riders in Ducati gear either.

Black is the preferred colour of riding gear for most motorcyclists, and yesterdays group is no exception.

It's been fun. The Street Classic goes back tomorrow, and I've got a new found respect for Harleys as an excellent example of what they are, and what they mean to the people who love them.

Interesting, thanks Rtc.

Bike
    Various things

Of course. They all miss the point of course. You didn't. Funny old things that they are.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    The bike I've struggled with most in terms of handling was a Ducati 748. Beautiful bike, but also not for me.

Bike
    husaberg
    The bike I've struggled with most in terms of handling was a Ducati 748. Beautiful bike, but also not for me.

Name:	keep-calm-and-burn-the-heretic-12.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	328472
    They did do a sevicar option

Name:	Duc_1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	328473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e037.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	328474

Thread Information