Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda VTR 1000 SP

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman
    Good writeup Modalx,

I've recently been test ridin a few twins (TL1000r, TL1000S, VTR, 996) and even tho I can see why people like the multi's (hi Wkid ), I don't think they will ever dominate the market to a point where manufacturers would stop making twins.

If you like a twin -You LOVE a twin. It's the way it rides and I hope they will be around for ever.
    Hey Duckman, before you flash the finger around - check out MY review of my first bike...having had both a multi and a Twin - I am in a position to make an informed choice.......

I will stick by my comments - that for the money - the VTR SP is an overpriced bike....which was the point I was making to begin with.

You get all the price premium of a european bike with none of the pluses.....

I have NEVER said I don't like the VTR SP......I just can't justify in my mind paying the money over and above a similar bike just because it is a race rep bike.

Enuf said

Bike
    Honda VTR1000 SP3
    Quote Originally Posted by wkid_one
    You get all the price premium of a european bike with none of the pluses.....
    This is tedious but lets spell it out in the unlikely event that someone takes wkid seriously...

New prices as of today:
    RSV Factory = 35k at AMPS
    Plain vanilla 999 = 37k at Hamilton Motorcycles. You will have 10k in your pocket even if you get ripped off on an SP.

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against these great bikes and may well end up owning one sometime - this is just about being accurate.

In some threads it doesn't matter if you toss around bullshit - in fact it is to be encouraged. If review threads are to be at all useful you really need to stick to the facts.

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Quote Originally Posted by modalx
    This is tedious but lets spell it out in the unlikely event that someone takes wkid seriously...

New prices as of today:
    RSV Factory = 35k at AMPS
    Plain vanilla 999 = 37k at Hamilton Motorcycles. You will have 10k in your pocket even if you get ripped off on an SP.

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against these great bikes and may well end up owning one sometime - this is just about being accurate.

In some threads it doesn't matter if you toss around bullshit - in fact it is to be encouraged. If review threads are to be at all useful you really need to stick to the facts.
    Not my point - I am comparing a Jap bike with a Jap bike....but anyway.... I will work on a flowchart so you can understand...nah I can't be fucked......rose tinted glasses and all

Bike
    "02 Aprilia Mille
    It would appear to me (Im a bit thick !) that ModelX is trying to compare his SP3 with the european bikes but perhaps he should be doing it with the other "big four" brands instead and unfortunately the SP3 doesnt measure up so well ?? (remember Im thick)

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    I'm even thicker ronny... whats an SP3?? I'd pick an SP 1 and SP2 miles off but i've never heard of an SP3! can you post a pick modalx?

bike reviews are always going to be a bit subjective so there's no real point in getting to worked up about preferences.

Bike
    Honda VTR1000 SP3
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkiwi
    I'm even thicker ronny... whats an SP3?? I'd pick an SP 1 and SP2 miles off but i've never heard of an SP3! can you post a pick modalx?

bike reviews are always going to be a bit subjective so there's no real point in getting to worked up about preferences.
    Yes the model id for this bike is a trainspotters dream.

It is exactly like the SP2 to look at (white / grey / red / black) but the sticker on the fairing says SP3.
    The chassis plate says 'VTR1000SP' The color/trim model id is 'SP3'
    You wont find 'Honda SP3' anywhere on the Net and of course in the US it is called the RC51 which has the letters 'RVT' on the fairing and sometimes 'VTR1000R' on the tail.

Go figure.

SP3 may even be an NZ phenomenon. I've seen another bike w exactly the same decals here. I know its still the SP2 in the UK cos the Feb 04 SuperBike mag (UK) features a 999 vs RSV-R vs SP2 test (I won't spoil the surprise).

If anyone's interested I can confirm a PCIII is a great mod for this bike. It has smoothed out the emissions related torque dip at 4.5k and sharpens up the response everywhere. If you want one, import it direct from the States. I landed one here in 2 weeks for just under $NZ500 - they retail at around $900 here.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R600
    Quote Originally Posted by modalx
    Yes the model id for this bike is a trainspotters dream.

It is exactly like the SP2 to look at (white / grey / red / black) but the sticker on the fairing says SP3.
    The chassis plate says 'VTR1000SP' The color/trim model id is 'SP3'
    You wont find 'Honda SP3' anywhere on the Net and of course in the US it is called the RC51 which has the letters 'RVT' on the fairing and sometimes 'VTR1000R' on the tail.

Go figure.

SP3 may even be an NZ phenomenon. I've seen another bike w exactly the same decals here. I know its still the SP2 in the UK cos the Feb 04 SuperBike mag (UK) features a 999 vs RSV-R vs SP2 test (I won't spoil the surprise).

If anyone's interested I can confirm a PCIII is a great mod for this bike. It has smoothed out the emissions related torque dip at 4.5k and sharpens up the response everywhere. If you want one, import it direct from the States. I landed one here in 2 weeks for just under $NZ500 - they retail at around $900 here.
    Yes, it is a NZ phenomenon. You won't find a SP3 on the Aussie market and I've been assured that the SP3 is simply a SP2 with the different logo.

Was very keen on a NZ SP3 when I returned here from Oz but when I found out the price I was really put off. To explain, in Oz the 03 VTR1000F3 is AU$14995, in NZ they are NZ$14995. In Oz the brand new SP2 is AU$22995, in NZ the SP3 is NZ$27995(?) If I could get a new SP2/SP3 for NZ$20K, I'd be cheque in hand 2moro.

And I've ridden Duke 916/996/998/999, Aprilia RSVR, Firestorm, SV1000s and now the Gixxer 1000 (and a CBR600RR but they don't count) so me thinks I'm qualified to express my point of view.... I'd take the Honda SP any day if it was closer to the AU price.
    Team Brehaut Racing - VMCC/MNZ #67
    supported by Team Brehaut Racing, GARAGE Espresso, TSS Red Baron, Walker & McLuskie Ltd, Porirua Auto Crash Repairs,
    Jackson Van Interiors, Super Save Cars, Supreme Screens Ltd, & Slotmedia.co.nz

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marknz
    If I could get a new SP2/SP3 for NZ$20K, I'd be cheque in hand 2moro.
    Perhaps you might like the one TSS has at the moment - Stew showed me it last Thursday - not brand new - but very nice - two bros pipes - SP2 - $16995.

Definitely worth a look Mark.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    And I've ridden Duke 916/996/998/999, Aprilia RSVR, Firestorm, SV1000s and now the Gixxer 1000 (and a CBR600RR but they don't count)
    you lucky bugger!!

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike

And I've ridden Duke 916/996/998/999, Aprilia RSVR, Firestorm, SV1000s and now the Gixxer 1000 (and a CBR600RR but they don't count) so me thinks I'm qualified to express my point of view.... I'd take the Honda SP any day if it was closer to the AU price.
    Yes, Mark. You must know one or two very understanding salesmen to let you test those amazing bikes

Especialy the two Suzukis! You didn't get to ride them both in one day did you?

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R600
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash
    Yes, Mark. You must know one or two very understanding salesmen to let you test those amazing bikes

Especialy the two Suzukis! You didn't get to ride them both in one day did you?
    Yea, well the Italian bikes were courtesy of being a member of the Canberra Ducati Club and rides from members. I only tested the 999 brand new off the shop floor.

Yes, there is an understanding bloke at WM that let me ride the SV & Gixxer last weekend... good bloke too, do you know him? And the 600RR was the test bike at Canberra Motorcycle Centre last year and I got such a tank slapper on it that I can't see me rushing to one again any time soon.

Anyway, apropos of nothing at all, I've just spoken to the guys in Oz selling my VTR1000F3 and dropped the ansking price to $11,500 so I would hop eto have such action on it soon. Then I can really start talking cash with some dealers
    supported by Team Brehaut Racing, GARAGE Espresso, TSS Red Baron, Walker & McLuskie Ltd, Porirua Auto Crash Repairs,

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R600
    Quote Originally Posted by celticno6
    Perhaps you might like the one TSS has at the moment - Stew showed me it last Thursday - not brand new - but very nice - two bros pipes - SP2 - $16995.

Definitely worth a look Mark.
    TSS... where's that?

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    TSS... where's that?
    You know Alicetown? Take Cuba Street from Petone towards Lower Hutt. Just down by the Alicetown shopping centre on the left hand side of the road - can't miss it - lots of bikes.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    "02 Aprilia Mille

Thumbs up

Went on a local ride last Thursday (at least 20 bikes) and an asian bloke turned up on an SP3 with a full Ackripovic Ti system ! - very nice - went quick too.
    What a shame the SP1,2,3s were/are so dear - I'd love one but there are far better value bikes out there really (useing your head - not heart !)
    Local suzuki dealer has a mint SP1 and the Honda dealer at Bay View has a later one as well I think ?

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Quote Originally Posted by tlronny
    Went on a local ride last Thursday (at least 20 bikes) and an asian bloke turned up on an SP3 with a full Ackripovic Ti system ! - very nice - went quick too.
    What a shame the SP1,2,3s were/are so dear - I'd love one but there are far better value bikes out there really (useing your head - not heart !)
    Local suzuki dealer has a mint SP1 and the Honda dealer at Bay View has a later one as well I think ?
    I agree. $28000 for a new one is serious dosh. I hadn't even considered buying one, but when the old 1993 900SS needed a lot of TLC, I traded it for an ex-demo SP-1 with 6,500Kms on the clock for $18,000.

While it doesn't have the power that the multi's do, I think that twins have a certain charm and sound great.
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Thread Information