Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RUC Petition for Motorcyclists

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    If you had said it, then some on here would just disagree with it because you said it.
    I know - how rational is that?

Bike
    A
    RUC for bikes is a dumb idea. Had to giggle when the post popped up on Facebook.

For me I'd say an annual licence fee for those who wish to have the class 6? That way it's the same for multiple bike owners, ditto for commuters and fair weather riders only. Discount for those of us who have done recognized extra training of course. But then we'd also have to resolve the unlicensed rider/unregistered bike issue, to level the playing field.

If I'm to believe the various bits of info I've seen on the ACC component of bike rego, then the ACC component should be higher than it is now in order to recover costs, but then this in itself is already wrong in the spirit of the ACC original intent isn't it?

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    I'd support it if it was an Inverse RUC - ie the Less you rode, the more you paid....
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I am guessing you would not be in support of those at fault paying more then?
    You guess right, but not because of my situation. I hadn't actually thought about my impact on ACC until this thread, but I haven't supported the idea of appropriating blame and basing ACC levies ever since I heard the idea.

FYI - my 'ACC bill' comes from one very serious accident many years ago, not that that should matter.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    More people are dying in car crashes than bike crashes in any year but they reduced registration for car owners which is odd in my opinion.
    Gotcha, I misunderstood what you said.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    $10 a week to rego my bike, I can live with that. And I've had a fair amount of money out of ACC through my accident. Yup I'm one of the worst offenders, my ACC tab would be in excess of half a million at a conservative guess...
    Agreed. And I, for one, don't mind at all contributing my equitable share towards paying for another's misfortune. This is just what you do in a caring society.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Mine
    So the whole point of ACC is to discriminate on what vehicle you drive but not as to whether you have a history of being at fault or not and you think thats fair?
    WRONG! The whole point of ACC is to provide help for the unforunate WITHOUT fault; discriminating against NOONE. Charging based on history (or whatever group you happen to belong to) runs directly counter to the core principles of ACC.

The whole of society benifits from all of us being able to persue our chosen pasttime; no matter what the health bill of that pasttime turns out to be.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    This is just what you do in a caring society.
    What about in a society which seems determined to produce idiots?

Bike
    GSXR1000
    I assume you accident was your own fault many years ago but if it was someone elses fault would you want them to be paying more than you? I have had ACC claims as a result of the fault of others which may explain the way I think.
    You assume correctly. And to answer your question, no.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    What about in a society which seems determined to produce idiots?
    The single most inalienable right we have is the right to be an idiot. This is part of what it means to be human. Can you honestly say that you haven't been an idiot more than once in your life? I know I have.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Do you mean the per km or the tax argument?
    The current system is flawed and biased to our detriment ... and the per km suggestion is bullshit.

As is the "I have 5 bikes and can't afford to keep them all legal" argument.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    So you dont call the difference between car and motorcycle ACC as being discriminating? Your thinking is flawed then just like ACCs. You dont work for them by any chance?
    ACC is a "NO FAULT" scheme ... assistance for medical help regardless of actual fault of the injured persons. For them to charge a rate depending on actual amount of guilt in the accident is hypocritical at the very least ...

Charging a fee dependent on the known/believed risk is at the least ... a bit dodgy ... a point few seem to grasp.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    The single most inalienable right we have is the right to be an idiot.
    Not when your idiocy has a negative impact on society.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... I have had ACC claims as a result of the fault of others which may explain the way I think.
    I believe it was the drugs they gave you ... that explains the way you think ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Not when your idiocy has a negative impact on society.
    It is not the idiots fault they are idiots ... Who do you blame ... ??

Thread Information