Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: RUC Petition for Motorcyclists

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    The issue of "I have a number of bikes..." I suggest may be able to be solved by having a situation where the bike that is not used often is licenced [rego] but no ACC is paid until you want to use it and then you buy the ACC for the time you want. You print a receipt for those days you've bought and away you ride. For those who don't want to play the game, there will be consequences. If you ride all year or want your bike available all year you do as we do now.
    They really only want continuous vehicle licensing... While the facility to put on hold exists, it wasn't intended for the purposes of putting a bike on the road for a day/weekend/week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    If someone has the belief that 'it is my right to be as much of an idiot as I like regardless of any negative impact to society my actions might be' then that idiot can go fuck themselves.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

I refuse to tolerate wilfull idiots.
    Now we get to the crux of the matter. The word "wilful" is the important one. It is a fact of the inner workings of the human brain that we will ALL do idiotic things from time to time. If we're lucky we don't do any harm. Either way we learn from it and move on; hopefully never to make the same mistake again. However, someone with a "devil-may-care" attitude that cares nothing for anyone but themselves is another matter.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Either way we learn from it and move on; hopefully never to make the same mistake again.
    It's the ones who never seem to learn that particularly bug me.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    You can't do anything to help them so it's no good letting them bug you. Work on something you can change, it's more rewarding and better for the mental health.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly.

Now we get to the crux of the matter. The word "wilful" is the important one. It is a fact of the inner workings of the human brain that we will ALL do idiotic things from time to time. If we're lucky we don't do any harm. Either way we learn from it and move on; hopefully never to make the same mistake again. However, someone with a "devil-may-care" attitude that cares nothing for anyone but themselves is another matter.
    Riding a motorcycle could be considered having a devil may care attitude.

And I agree with your third sig line, but accidents happen and a fender bender between two cars is a different kettle of fish than a car vs bike "fender bender" no matter who is at fault, and one of those vehicle operators chose to use the more dangerous option.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    They really only want continuous vehicle licensing... While the facility to put on hold exists, it wasn't intended for the purposes of putting a bike on the road for a day/weekend/week.
    I am not thinking of licencing that "switches on and off", but the ACC levy - your bike is licenced continuously, the licence is not on-hold, but you buy the ACC levy to cover the days you want to use it. For example, good weather over the coming weekend, you pay on-line for ACC levy* from mid-night Friday to mid-night Sunday, print out a receipt and away you go.

* The licence component is about $25 per year, the ACC levy is the big expense - so for the above example you'd pay 2/365ths of what would be the year ACC levy for that class of bike.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    What a load of semantic bullshit.

If someone has the belief that 'it is my right to be as much of an idiot as I like regardless of any negative impact to society my actions might be' then that idiot can go fuck themselves.

I refuse to tolerate wilfull idiots.
    Like gangs, drug dealers and the like......

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Well I suppose that depends on your definition of 'idiot'.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Most motorcyclists would be paying less if those at fault paid more. It really is that simple.
    But how would you know who is going to be at fault before an incident so as to charge them more in advance?

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post

And I agree with your third sig line, but accidents happen and a fender bender between two cars is a different kettle of fish than a car vs bike "fender bender" no matter who is at fault, and one of those vehicle operators chose to use the more dangerous option.
    ... and one of them is guilty of being a fuckwit causing injury. guess who i'd penalise.

vote akzle.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    mate. kb wouldn't function without drug dealers. half you cunts must be cracked up on something.

Bike
    Yo momma
    If you had said it, then some on here would just disagree with it because you said it.

Some people like to argue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    As has already been said, ACC is not perfect but it is far better than what we could have.

If you had to pay for a private medical/accident/income protection insurance I'm sure your eyes would water - ask Americans about health/medical/accident insurance.

When I had a bike (GSXR1100) it cost me $40 per year for rego and about $250 a year for insurance which also covered medical costs for myself as well as liability for someone elses medical costs if I was at fault.

Bike
    Mine
    I know what you mean. These days I'm slowly getting better at "ignoring" them while at the same time watching out for them so I don't end up suffering the concequences of their actions.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    Mine
    Unfortunately you're right. Those that know nothing about those of us that live the motorcycle lifestyle do tend to insist on judging us.

Yes, the concequences of an accident are greater if you're on a bike. However, there is often more you can do on a bike to avoid the accident.

Thread Information