Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southland and Harleys

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1

Southland and Harleys

I've just spent 4 days there. Didn't see many bikes, which is not surprising given the weather. But they were all Harleys.

Is that all people ride down there? Saw some pretty average riding as well, including one rider who almost swerved into an oncoming car while overtaking. It was really windy, but either don't ride or learn how to control your bike properly. .

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Fuck off back to Dorkland then ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    Saw some pretty average riding as well, including one rider who almost swerved into an oncoming car while overtaking. k
    Highly likely it was a Auckland rider on tour struggling with a road that was not glass smooth.

You forgot to mention how fantastic the country is down South.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Highly likely it was a Auckland rider on tour struggling with a road that was not glass smooth.

Glass smooth roads in Auckland - yeah, right!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Ahem... you actually mean how terrible it is and how North Islanders should stay on their island?

Didn't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Fuck off back to Dorkland then ...
    I have family down there and have visited many times. I just never noticed how many Harleys there are.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1

Looks like SH1 between Mataura and Invercargill is being wrecked by all the trucks. Thats happening everywhere in NZ though thanks to the Nats increasing the truck weight limit a while back. But the other roads are good, and much better than most roads near Auckland.

Yeah, I like Southland, especially when it's not wet or windy. I'm told it's been a real crap summer.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Looks like SH1 between Mataura and Invercargill is being wrecked by all the trucks. Thats happening everywhere in NZ though thanks to the Nats increasing the truck weight limit a while back. But the other roads are good, and much better than most roads near Auckland.

Yeah, I like Southland, especially when it's not wet or windy. I'm told it's been a real crap summer.

did you ride down, or take a tin top?

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    did you ride down, or take a tin top?
    I flew down and picked up a rental.

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    I spent a few days in Southland recently. Not many cars around, it was mainly Jafas in rental cars.
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Virago View Post
    I spent a few days in Southland recently. Not many cars around, it was mainly Jafas in rental cars.
    How did you know where they were from?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    When I went down South on the Hornet a decade or so ago I saw bugger all bikes, even posted about it on KB. There may be some bikes but nobody much was riding them. Maybe the bikes are all in the museums? It's true they have some nice roads down there but they think they have all the nice roads, 'cause most of the inbred hillbillies haven't ever crossed Cook Straight.

That's like Wellingtonians raving about the Paekak hill which is pretty ordinary really, or the Rimutaka hill, which was OK once - but that was a bloody long time ago.

Or even the Dorklanders who think the Coro loop is the be all and end all, because they've never been anywhere else.

There, that should have offended just about everybody.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

Hey - what about the Akaroa GP.

Actually that road has deteriorated at lot in condition in the past five -6 years. They need to close the friggen thing for a day or two and do some proper repairs - patches over patches are falling apart and some roading knob has recently painted new future patch circles over the patched patches ........

Plus it's getting bloody busy. And I am surprised at the size of the buses they haul over to take the Cruise ship crowd out of Akaroa on day trips. Yeah sail into a beautiful harbor with a quaint little township then fuck off over the hill to see broken Christchurch or yet another winery .....

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    When I went down South on the Hornet a decade or so ago I saw bugger all bikes, even posted about it on KB. There may be some bikes but nobody much was riding them. Maybe the bikes are all in the museums? It's true they have some nice roads down there but they think they have all the nice roads, 'cause most of the inbred hillbillies haven't ever crossed Cook Straight.

That's like Wellingtonians raving about the Paekak hill which is pretty ordinary really, or the Rimutaka hill, which was OK once - but that was a bloody long time ago.

Or even the Dorklanders who think the Coro loop is the be all and end all, because they've never been anywhere else.

all i can say to you kind sir is and then again, i have lived and ridden in the B,O,P. taranaki, nelson/marlborough, canterbury (north,mid and south), west coast and now southland and yes there are good roads all over the country for motorcyclists but the advantage we have down here is the lack of traffic and the number of good motorcycle roads

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I have family down there and have visited many times. I just never noticed how many Harleys there are.

It IS summer after all ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information