Thread: What you missed at the Las Vegas motorcycle auction

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

What you missed at the Las Vegas motorcycle auction

There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    wow awesome machines there! nice find -- some people have tooo much money

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    wow awesome machines there! nice find -- some people have tooo much money
    Yeah ... and probably collectors and museums - no serious riders ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Funny, it was only the later stuff that appealed to me. Most appealing were the Velocette Venom Thruxtons, one of the well known moto journos has one. I'd have loved one when they were new, but now I prefer bikes with all mod cons. If you fet compelled to experience the "joys" of a Brit 500 single you could buy a Royal Enfield for a lot less money.

Interesting to note that as large as those prices were, there were other bikes didn't reach the reserve.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Funny, it was only the later stuff that appealed to me. Most appealing were the Velocette Venom Thruxtons, one of the well known moto journos has one. I'd have loved one when they were new, but now I prefer bikes with all mod cons. If you fet compelled to experience the "joys" of a Brit 500 single you could buy a Royal Enfield for a lot less money.

Interesting to note that as large as those prices were, there were other bikes didn't reach the reserve.
    A friend in the UK had a Velo Thruxton with the half fairing when I had my Tiger 100. Gorgeous bike but it was a bit of a pig to start and had a propensity for fouling its plug. Like you, I prefer something reliable these days

I was interested that the Rob North Rocket 3 sold for US$55,000. Back in 2003 (I think) in that classic car and bike shop in central Chch, there was an immaculate Rob North Trident for sale for NZ$17,000. How values have changed!

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post

I was interested that the Rob North Rocket 3 sold for US$55,000. Back in 2003 (I think) in that classic car and bike shop in central Chch, there was an immaculate Rob North Trident for sale for NZ$17,000. How values have changed!
    you might want to have another think, pretty sure that was Gene Romero's bike, yanks will pay for history, take a look at the varied henderson prices, the ex steve mcqueen bikes went far higher than the others.
    i watch some of this auction live, it was four days long and i was interested to see how low a lot of stuff went for, great for those who like old bikes, and for investors, they can piddle of to another feild to play in as far as i'm concerned

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    you might want to have another think, pretty sure that was Gene Romero's bike, yanks will pay for history, take a look at the varied henderson prices, the ex steve mcqueen bikes went far higher than the others.
    i watch some of this auction live, it was four days long and i was interested to see how low a lot of stuff went for, great for those who like old bikes, and for investors, they can piddle of to another feild to play in as far as i'm concerned
    You may well be right although it does say replica. I saw Romero race in the Transatlantic match races at Mallory Park but couldn't remember whether he was on a Rocket 3 or Trident. I have some photos of Aldana and Smart on my PC and somewhere, have 35 mm slides of Nixon, Castro and co, plus Rayborn on his Harley. Really must find them and have them digitally copied. Lines,sometimes got blurred about which bikes were Rob North replicas and which were true factory bikes.

Edit: Dave Aldana's bike photo added
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rocket 3, Transatlantic Match Races, Mallory Park.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	328387  

Thread Information