Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1972 Yamaha XS2 (XS650) project

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    Yeah I had to laugh when I saw the VIN number pop rivetted on. I'll be taking it off for painting too
    He did say it was one of the weakest fails he had seen for a while and if it hadn't been noticed at the border he wouldn't have required the cert.
    It should be like repairing a building, ie not needing a building consent if you are only repairing it not altering it or building it from scratch.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bistard View Post
    Nice work, one thing I have never understood with the whole VIN process, is you are not allowed to modify the frame, as you pointed out, you had to repair a previous mod to the frame & then the inspector drills holes in the frame & pop rivets the plate to it, is that not modifying the frame???
    Had - new bikes have the same holes and VINs from the factory - still ruffles me that my Ducati factory Vin plate is not hidden under the seat or somewhere discrete. No, it's placed smack on the lovely trellis frame.

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650

Forked if I know

Well I'm stranded in Wellington on Easter and it looks like I'll be stuck here until Saturday thanks to Air NZ so I've been making use of my down time to edit my latest video covering the removal, repair and replacement of the forks.
    The video is here: https://youtu.be/rGJQsVt-918
    I've also fixed the faulty tail light and worked out how to adjust the front brakes to make them work effectively.
    I should have been home at lunch time today so I was planning on taking her in for a re-test today but I guess it will have to wait until next week now.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired1 View Post
    Well I'm stranded in Wellington on Easter and it looks like I'll be stuck here until Saturday thanks to Air NZ so I've been making use of my down time to edit my latest video covering the removal, repair and replacement of the forks.
    The video is here: https://youtu.be/rGJQsVt-918
    I've also fixed the faulty tail light and worked out how to adjust the front brakes to make them work effectively.
    I should have been home at lunch time today so I was planning on taking her in for a re-test today but I guess it will have to wait until next week now.
    Men in sheds. Great stuff!!!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Mate I'd have buffed up those lower fork legs while they were off.

Nice video. Basic stuff back in the day those forks. I had several bikes with lower fork leg drain bolts.

Bike
    1981 Yamaha XS650 - Custom
    Great video. You've moved the camera around well and edited it up nicely. Bit of time involved to get a result like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650

Road legal and registered

Been a good week this week. After getting stuck in Wellington over Easter I got home Saturday and did some final adjustments and tweaking on the brakes the took the bike into VINZ on Tuesday for it's re-inspection. I was expecting to drop it off an pick it up later but the inspector took it for a ride around the block as soon as I got there then told me to load it up while he did the paperwork. So today I fitted the number plate, rego and WOF and went for a couple of rides.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	807.9 KB 
ID:	330257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	804.4 KB 
ID:	330258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	818.5 KB 
ID:	330259

It is missing a wee bit in the upper ranges and running a little rough but I haven't adjusted anything yet or cleaned out the carbs and it probably hasn't had a decent ride for a year or two. I got a full year of rego as it is only $120 for an old girl like this, and the plan is to ride it around for a month or two before it gets too cold. After that I'll start tearing it down for a full resto ready for summer.
    The new video is here: https://youtu.be/QEo3mR6KaDE

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ......yahoo...so cool to see a thing of beauty coming back into the world...

Bike
    83 RZ350/85 RZ250R/84 RZ350R/84 RZ350K
    Blog Entries
    Awesome work and love the video. Looking forward to future updates

Thread Information