Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1972 Yamaha XS2 (XS650) project

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650

1972 Yamaha XS2 (XS650) project

Just starting another restoration project and this time have one of my all-time bucket list bikes to make pretty again, the XS650.
    I bought this machine a couple of weeks back off Trademe and it turned up on Friday. I have had a saved search for an XS650 and it just popped up and after about five minutes talking to the importer Laurence, I knew it was either buy it for the full asking price or watch someone else whip it out from under me so I just bought it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 3-02-17, 9 58 51 AM.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	785.9 KB 
ID:	328381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 5-02-17, 2 55 30 PM.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	849.1 KB 
ID:	328382
    The bike starts well and runs rich - probably due to those hideous pipes - and has good compression. The electric start doesn't work yet and I almost burned the bike to the ground when I started kicking it over on account of the battery shorting out under the seat but a bit of kiwi fixing sorted that problem out.

The colour is hard to describe but think of new born baby shite and you're not far off. What the previous owner was thinking is a bit of a mystery but she'll be going back to the correct Brilliant Red just as soon as I find a good painter and the funds to get it done perfectly.

Name:	xs650 progress 001.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	657.4 KB 
ID:	328380

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    that shit's fokken sikk oi.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Personally, I prefer the green of the first XS1.
    Put a RIB pattern front tyre on it - maybe 100/90 section, no wider. The OE block pattern front tyre wandered like fuck and was largely responsible for the bad handling reputation.
    If it hasn't got electronic ignition, fit it.
    Just ride it.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired1 View Post
    Just starting another restoration project and this time have one of my all-time bucket list bikes to make pretty again, the XS650.
    I bought this machine a couple of weeks back off Trademe and it turned up on Friday. I have had a saved search for an XS650 and it just popped up and after about five minutes talking to the importer Laurence, I knew it was either buy it for the full asking price or watch someone else whip it out from under me so I just bought it.

The bike starts well and runs rich - probably due to those hideous pipes - and has good compression. The electric start doesn't work yet and I almost burned the bike to the ground when I started kicking it over on account of the battery shorting out under the seat but a bit of kiwi fixing sorted that problem out.

The colour is hard to describe but think of new born baby shite and you're not far off. What the previous owner was thinking is a bit of a mystery but she'll be going back to the correct Brilliant Red just as soon as I find a good painter and the funds to get it done perfectly.

Can't seem to get photos to load, Ill add them when I figure it out...
    Nice bike but that back wheel rim looks like a harley rim.
    All the bright work looks in excellent condition.

Name:	Photo%205-02-17%202%2055%2030%20PM_zpsp7csmwct.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	335.9 KB 
ID:	328366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo%205-02-17%202%2055%2057%20PM_zpsx6joc8x1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	343.5 KB 
ID:	328367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo%203-02-17%209%2058%2051%20AM_zps8icfabfp.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	246.6 KB 
ID:	328368
    Next to the smiley faces there is a paper clip looking thing use that to attach the pictures direct from your PC.

Name:	Attaching pics.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	337.8 KB 
ID:	328369
    or from out of your photobucket like i did.

Ps when you go to edit a post you will not see that option but it will appear when you click on advanced down the bottom right of your post.
    If you want to put the pictures in your post like i just did selve the down facing ^ next to the paper clip. and click where you want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    R100GSPD
    very early in my motorcycle carreer i rode one of these.I kick myself now for not buying one.Always had a soft spot for Yamaha except for my SR 500 which i hated.I will watch with interest

I had an XS1 for 15 years..with out the stupid electric start and ugly disc brake. You don't need the starter...shit, mine would start idling while I was trying to find compression. Carbs are shit, put something else on. The XT750 swingarm is mush beefier, but you'll never find one, but even an RD swingarm is better. I think the XS2 has a split top yoke, the XS1 didn't, so welded on tabs and cut the yoke, then knurled the stauntions. I think the basic handling is pretty good, they just go out of shape a bit if you push them. A speedwobble at 95 mph makes a mess of the seat cover.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    I had an XS1 for 15 years..with out the stupid electric start and ugly disc brake. You don't need the starter...shit, mine would start idling while I was trying to find compression. Carbs are shit, put something else on. The XT750 swingarm is mush beefier, but you'll never find one, but even an RD swingarm is better. I think the XS2 has a split top yoke, the XS1 didn't, so welded on tabs and cut the yoke, then knurled the stauntions. I think the basic handling is pretty good, they just go out of shape a bit if you push them. A speedwobble at 95 mph makes a mess of the seat cover.
    Pretty sure the XS2 had a better frame geometry than the XS1, from memory Yamaha relented and flew in Percy Tait works rider and factory tester to make it steer like a triumph.
    Funny enough a lot of people used to put in XS650 swingarms into RD as they were a little longer. I never knew they used to do the opposite as well.
    The Xs2 likely has slightly larger fork stauncions as Yamaha tended to change them all at the same time.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    Thanks Husaberg, I'm getting it slowly.
    The back rim is a 16"and should be an 18"but it'll be a while before I find the correct one I'm guessing.
    I will get the electric start working since it is there, first up I need to get the frame certed as it has a bit of damage from the previous owner in the States.
    The same guy who painted it Brown also fitted a solo saddle then cut it off and left a few scratches on the frame that the border guys didn't like so it's a bit of welding and wallet-opening but not a major.

Name:	S650119941 Photo 1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	328383

Bike
    husaberg
    Thanks Husaberg, I'm getting it slowly.
    The back rim is a 16"and should be an 18"but it'll be a while before I find the correct one I'm guessing.
    I will get the electric start working since it is there, first up I need to get the frame certed as it has a bit of damage from the previous owner in the States.
    The same guy who painted it Brown also fitted a solo saddle then cut it off and left a few scratches on the frame that the border guys didn't like so it's a bit of welding and wallet-opening but not a major.

Name:	S650119941 Photo 1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	328383
    Mikes XS site i guess for a rim, its highly likey the rim was shared with a lot of other Yamahas they are likely available on ebay NOS or new if you look arround enough.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    Yep I already have a small parcel on the way from Mikes with brake pads, shoes and the left hand switch block in it.
    Postage is always a killer from the States but if the right parts turn up I'll forget that pretty quickly.

If anyone out there has an XS650 could you post a photo of the under seat catch please. Mine has been munted when they fitted the solo saddle and I'd like to put it back to correct. This is the view under the seat at the moment - a bit ugly...

Name:	S650119941 Photo 2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	328386

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Mikes XS site i guess for a rim, its highly likey the rim was shared with a lot of other Yamahas they are likely available on ebay NOS or new if you look arround enough.
    36 hole WM3 X 18 Common as muck. Don't think OE was even marked as Yamaha. Spoke sets are probably still available too.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    36 hole WM3 X 18 Common as muck. Don't think OE was even marked as Yamaha. Spoke sets are probably still available too.
    I wasn't actually sure if it was 1.85 or 2.15X18 but i looked yes it is WM3 or 2.15 in metric speak
    I had a look on the rims on my samilar Year RD350 and yes just the Takasago logo and rim width.
    Spokes are cheap on ebay the NOS rims are certainly not, But plenty off trail bikes as well as road bikes had those same size and make rims so plenty of options.
    I reminder distinctly .

Looks like it's been a streettracker, they cut the rear of the frame off to fit the tracker seat.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    Looks like it's been a streettracker, they cut the rear of the frame off to fit the tracker seat.
    They might have been thinking that way but never got that far thankfully. The damage is only superficial and only on the top of the frame rails, the tubes are still in tact. It looks like someone welded a bar across between the two frame rails then changed their mind and cut it off again. The certifier is calling in on Friday so I'll see what he thinks.

Thanks also for the parts link Husaberg I have added that to my archives, but the part I am looking for is the bit on the frame that the catch catches on, I have the rest of it still attached to the seat. When the muppets hacked at the frame they cut off the bit the latch hooks onto on the frame. I'm hoping someone here has an XS650 and can take a photo of the bit I have to re-fabricate. Searching on the interweb for a photo hasn't turned up anything yet.

Bike
    husaberg
    They might have been thinking that way but never got that far thankfully. The damage is only superficial and only on the top of the frame rails, the tubes are still in tact. It looks like someone welded a bar across between the two frame rails then changed their mind and cut it off again. The certifier is calling in on Friday so I'll see what he thinks.

Thanks also for the parts link Husaberg I have added that to my archives, but the part I am looking for is the bit on the frame that the catch catches on, I have the rest of it still attached to the seat. When the muppets hacked at the frame they cut off the bit the latch hooks onto on the frame. I'm hoping someone here has an XS650 and can take a photo of the bit I have to re-fabricate. Searching on the interweb for a photo hasn't turned up anything yet.
    Google xs2 rebuild
    threads like your own one here are often full of detail pics.

Name:	427597_327639010685614_128632834_n.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	328400Click image for larger version. 

Name:	178112_298022403647275_1149317197_o.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	276.2 KB 
ID:	328401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XS2 206.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	310.0 KB 
ID:	328402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_12.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	328403
    i googled up a service Xs2 manual but the pics are too fuzzy.
    https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.co...ual-1970-1974/
    Also if you have a look at the frame parts fiche it might help.
    https://thexscafedotcom.files.wordpr...arts-lists.pdf

Name:	XS2 frame fiche.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	328398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XS2 seat fiche.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	328399
    Period road test done by the likes of cycle or Cycle world also occasionally had pictures with the seat up.
    Another great sourse is ebay just google the XS2 frames for sale they often have very good pictures.
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information